Clear all

Montage White Announced

40 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

See top of this thread which is updated with news from the videos. Release date and time is given for both Montage and MODX.

Posted : 22/09/2019 4:42 pm
Stefan

From my POV this looks like an excellent update. If you can really set the keyboard control via scenes I would be happy with just that, but a 'mini' filter is tasty icing. I never really felt a lack of sequencer on the Montage as I prefer to 'just play' it, but the pattern sequencer does look like something I might actually use - more like a looper than something like a Beatstep sequencer (which I never got on with).

Looking forward to having a play with it!

I agree with the keyboard control of the scene. That's my #1 wanted feature! Jason, where did you see this in the interview? For me the interview gets stuck all the time 🙁

Posted : 22/09/2019 4:45 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member

See top of this thread which is updated with news from the videos. Release date and time is given for both Montage and MODX.

Looks like I might be installing it tonight if it does indeed drop.Noice!:D

Posted : 22/09/2019 4:50 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Blake mentions it in passing. I'll see if I can get a timestamp for you. and update THIS response later.

See 11:29

Posted : 22/09/2019 4:51 pm
Stefan

Ah, actually I found it now, thanks! Safari on Mac apparently works much better for the videos than Chrome. I had watched that part but missed the comment - it's around 11:40. Thanks for noticing! That's sooooo great!!!

Posted : 22/09/2019 4:53 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Technically, he said he realizes how beneficial it is to have this feature. Not necessarily that v3.0 has this feature. But right now I'll assume it's probably part of v3.0

Posted : 22/09/2019 5:11 pm
Stefan

Technically, he said he realizes how beneficial it is to have this feature. Not necessarily that v3.0 has this feature. But right now I'll assume it's probably part of v3.0

Telling that he realized how important it is and then not delivering it would be kind of cruel 😮 But you really got me nervous...

He says with OS 3.0 it's about adding flexibility and he only realized how great keyboard control per scene is when he started playing with it. That's roughly what he says. So hopes are high...

Posted : 22/09/2019 5:24 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member

From demos I've seen, Scenes are triggered from panel buttons only, but they can be chained in the pattern sequencer. I didn't see any demos of Scenes being triggered from the keybed.

Posted : 22/09/2019 5:25 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Would be nice if the scene change CC wasn't filtered out of ARPs (I'm not sure if it is or not). This way, assuming you're not using ARPs for notes - you could dedicate the ARP to changing the scene and trigger when you hit a certain key range. Scene change would change the ARP # and arm a sort of chain in this manner. Not really sure this is allowable use - since ARPs filter out certain things (like SysEx). But pressing A.SW1/2 is not filtered and turning assignable knobs isn't either. I haven't tried ARPs that press scene buttons. This would be in the category, if allowed, of something that already existed. Difference would be allowing keyboard control to be set/cleared if that's available now.

Scene change "automation" looked interesting in Hans-Peter's video. The scene buttons were going in order pretty fast. Like a scene per 300mS 1, 2, 3, 4 back to 1, 2, 3, 4 (something like that) and repeating.

Posted : 22/09/2019 6:09 pm
Stefan

From demos I've seen, Scenes are triggered from panel buttons only, but they can be chained in the pattern sequencer. I didn't see any demos of Scenes being triggered from the keybed.

Not sure if you are talking about the same thing I was talking about (and I believe Jason, Christine, and Blake as well). The idea would be to store the state of the various KbdCtrl buttons with each scene. That would allow superfast seamless switching of sounds where you can switch off part while the already sounding notes from that part would still sustain. You can do this already manually to test it:

• Use a performance with two layered sounds.
  • Play something and sustain it for example with a sustain pedal
  • Switch off the KbdCtrl button of the second part from the performance main screen, both layers will continue sounding. Important: Press the Performance (Home) button again to avoid having selected one part
  • Play some more notes. The newly played notes will only contain the one layer. But the second layer's sound will still sustain until you let go of the sustain pedal

If the scene store the state with 3.0 that's a huge improvement. Because switching would be totally instantaneous and makes it very easy to switch on/off layers within a performance. After all the scene buttons are very accessible...

Posted : 22/09/2019 6:19 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member

Would be nice if the scene change CC wasn't filtered out of ARPs (I'm not sure if it is or not). This way, assuming you're not using ARPs for notes - you could dedicate the ARP to changing the scene and trigger when you hit a certain key range. Scene change would change the ARP # and arm a sort of chain in this manner. Not really sure this is allowable use - since ARPs filter out certain things (like SysEx). But pressing A.SW1/2 is not filtered and turning assignable knobs isn't either. I haven't tried ARPs that press scene buttons. This would be in the category, if allowed, of something that already existed. Difference would be allowing keyboard control to be set/cleared if that's available now.

Scene change "automation" looked interesting in Hans-Peter's video. The scene buttons were going in order pretty fast. Like a scene per 300mS 1, 2, 3, 4 back to 1, 2, 3, 4 (something like that) and repeating.

I'll most likely be testing out the pattern mode tonight- if it gets released . There is probably room for more functions and improvements in the pattern sequencer and it's possible that rather than add on new synth engines, they're gonna continue to add functions to the pattern sequencer and possibly even implement a linear sequencer to really compete with the competition, and let the Montage transcend into the workstation it really wants to be.

Posted : 22/09/2019 6:46 pm
Stefan

Totally not sure, but to me it looks like the blinking scene buttons seem to be more an artifact coming from the synchronization between the camera and the LED refresh. If you look at it, not only the scene buttons are changing fast but also the buttons to the left of it (ARP control and Motion Seq on/off). And at some point the assignable knobs change equally fast. And while you see the buttons blinking there is a cut to a different camera and then the scene buttons do not blink anymore - although musically nothing changed. At 7:57 you can see that the assignable knob 1 (assigned to cutoff) is totally off while the state off the button on the screen is at 71 at shows over half of the LEDs lit. So I believe it is a sync issue of the video - and no feature.

Posted : 22/09/2019 7:01 pm
Michel
Eminent Member

I don't recall a discussion in the videos about the "mini booster". Is this a something that emulates the saturation/drive of a minimoog? Or what it sounds like when you feed a mini's headphone output back into the input? I sure hope so!

And to think I was using my Virus TI last week and lamenting that there's nothing at all like its saturation modelling on the Montage.

Posted : 22/09/2019 7:07 pm
Christine

Good point. Either of those definitions of mini-boost would be very much appreciated 🙂

Posted : 22/09/2019 7:14 pm
Member Admin

Are we getting the Hans-Peter preset in the demo today? That thing is amazing. good job!

Posted : 22/09/2019 8:38 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us