18 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Mark
Topic starter

@badmister penny for a few more of your insights good sir 🙂

Posted : 27/08/2019 12:00 am
Bad Mister

A couple of things come to mind... first, your worry about a slight delay between rendered MIDI Tracks and your added vocals (?)
I’m not sure what you are referring to with that. Even if it were an horrendous amount of delay between the MIDI Tracks and the rendered audio, (which I’m sure it isn’t) you’d be overdubbing vocals to the rendered audio... making any difference between MIDI and rendered audio, moot.

Being “afraid of commitment” is a common thing among musicians... what if you decide later that the EQ on this or that is not right? That’s the reason I gave you the two hard earned lessons. You will always deal with that feeling that you don’t want to “pre-mix” anything. Another reason why I mentioned trying things several different ways and then comparing. An important part of that comparison is playing them for someone else. It is eye (and ear) opening. Trust me. Nothing points out weaknesses in a mix like playing your work for others. And nothing makes you realize that you might be worried about something that no one else hears (which does not make it better, but it is important to realize).

I come from a jazz background (which means I listen to every thing)... but what it did for me was it made me realize that if I’m going for something during an improvised solo, and I don’t quite get it... it sounds *wrong* to me. Some times that IS the case, but some times, everyone else that hears it thinks it is *inspired*. Man, how’d you come up with that... I’m sure this doesn’t just happen in jazz... but you can be so very close to the trees, you no longer see the forest!

And, sorry, I have no sympathy (I do actually, but for purposes of stressing this point) for having “to remix the whole thing again”...
why I mentioned the “Stevie Wonder lesson”... if it becomes a chore, working on your own music, then perhaps you should consider hiring someone else to do it. I’m being dramatic in that statement... what Steve was saying to me was, you can’t afford to get tired of working on your own music... you just CAN’T... Whether it is the song itself, the recording or the mix.

True, once you finish the project, no one other than you will know what went into it.

I want to pass your question on to Dom Sigalas, who is a real wizard at Cubase and knows the MONTAGE, as well. I know you stated that you are looking for an efficient and repeatable method... I understand what you’re seeking,.. there is no one-way to approach things. Each Project is a snowflake and may cause different workflows... try different approaches. It’s your music!

Reach out to Dom... hey, maybe we can get him to share his knowledge and experience... with an article or video.

Posted : 27/08/2019 9:54 pm
 Mark
Topic starter

This is really priceless wisdom and I’m very grateful for it. A lot to ponder, all good. Yes would love to hear from Dom also. Thank you so much.

Posted : 28/08/2019 5:48 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us