2 Users
0 Likes
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I really do love the montage.....
But......
What I have done.
MoxF, Karma software(See karmaLabs) Komplete Kontrol MK II,The Montage And Focusrite 8 Clarett Mic pre.
And in that order of importance.
*Now I know I said I was going with the Studio Logic SL-73. But Delayed. And I got my Kontrol MK II for Cheap!

I still do not have everything optimized. Got wires running every where:D (Only been up 1 day)
But I sound Like a 30 piece Orchestra.!!!(And that is only Triggering the Montage with 1 Channel.).
It is possibly. The largest Sound I have Ever heard out of a Keyboard setup.
And In 2 hours. After I had it Going. I finished a Song.

Still need the Flash mem for the MoxF(Stupidly High price!).
Have to figure out the Pedal situation.
May or may not. Do the Cubase pro crossgrade(They raised the price.?). And That is a Learning Curve. (I am old). But I really like some of Cubase options.
And I have almost every Daw. I am really comfortable in 'Live' and 'Sonar'
There is a Learning Curve with the Motif/MoxF and Karma. May take awhile on All those buttons.

Now I do do Mastering on the side. But This Learning curve. May well cut into My little extra $(I have to like what I master).

Things I would like to see Evolve in this.
Running All Through the Montage USB interface. Not sure That is Possible.
Have Karma sending Channel 1 to the montage. Should be possible?? Somehow.
The Focusrite Clarett 8 pre. Was a Bargain. And Now allows me 10-12 Audio -ins/Outs. The converters are Great(So close! To very high end). Light pipe to my Babyface pro. Just a Hair diff. in color. This also opens me up. To have a Real drummer with e drums. And Enough ports for more.

Posted : 26/04/2018 3:04 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Karma supports: XF, XS, MOXF, MOX, Rack-XS, S70/S90 XS. Not Montage. I'm not aware there has been movement here as Stephen Kay has mentioned that Montage cannot be supported due to lack of transport controls as one limiting factor. You can MIDI address anything attached to the 5-pin DIN connectors on the back of Montage through USB MIDI by targeting Montage Port-3. However, I'm not sure you can get to all Ports (1,2, and 3) through this method - which would be required for Karma to work with MOXF.

Posted : 26/04/2018 4:41 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Yes
Midi wise. The montage may pose a problem. But even if I could Just pass through 1 channel to 1 performance(Not saying I can).
It would be Very cool.

Also a Note on the Komplete Kontrol MK II
NI or Fatar decided to put firmer springs in the MK II S9/9S Keybed.(NI can order this spec. The Kontrol MK I Keys got weak after 2-4 years use.).
So it plays a lot firmer than the Montage. Key spacing Is just Like Korgs. The Sound Trigger point is a little lower than the Montage./Yamahas.

All this is Mostly positive 4 me. U have to use muscles. To Develop/Keep muscle memory. Spacing is great 4 me as I have Big hands.
Not sure about Trigger point. I kind of got used to the Very delicate Way of playing the Montage. So Gonna take me a little time to Acclimate myself to a lower trigger point of the keys. And I can always Just play the Montage. If I need that Delicacy in dynamics

Posted : 26/04/2018 5:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You can pass Ch1-16 through Montage when targeting port 3 (Montage-3). In this respect, targeting MOXF CH1-16 or the Kontrol CH1-16 through Montage is possible. If you want Kontrol to make its wake back to Montage - you can echo from Montage-3 to Montage-1 using the DAW routing.

Posted : 26/04/2018 6:11 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Well as Alway. A Wealth of info!!
Now I have to bookmark this. 4 when I get time to get around to it

Thanks Jason.

Posted : 26/04/2018 6:29 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us