Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

NAMM has begun, What is Yamaha revealing?

25 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member

MODX is the closest in terms of price. If someone was shopping for a Kia sports car, the sales person probably wouldn't offer a Ferrari as an alternative.

Still, maybe it means something deeper than this. I don't know. My bias is to have Montage (original) to be replaced later rather than sooner. That would at least raise the probability of future firmware updates that I would appreciate.

That said, as a lowly customer, I don't have the slightest control over Yamaha's product roadmap. I'll still be OK if a Montage follow on is announced before I'm ready to invest in another keyboard. I may skip generation(s) as I have in the past.

Posted : 16/04/2023 3:30 am
Member Admin

[quotePost id=121233]MODX is the closest in terms of price. If someone was shopping for a Kia sports car, the sales person probably wouldn't offer a Ferrari as an alternative.

Still, maybe it means something deeper than this. I don't know. My bias is to have Montage (original) to be replaced later rather than sooner. That would at least raise the probability of future firmware updates that I would appreciate.

That said, as a lowly customer, I don't have the slightest control over Yamaha's product roadmap. I'll still be OK if a Montage follow on is announced before I'm ready to invest in another keyboard. I may skip generation(s) as I have in the past.[/quotePost]

This would make a great post for IdeaScale. And then others could vote on this...

/s

Posted : 16/04/2023 4:29 am
Member Admin

NAMM is revealing that Yamaha has nothing to reveal.

Posted : 16/04/2023 4:29 am
 John
Estimable Member

[quotePost id=121233]MODX is the closest in terms of price. If someone was shopping for a Kia sports car, the sales person probably wouldn't offer a Ferrari as an alternative.

That said, as a lowly customer, I don't have the slightest control over Yamaha's product roadmap. I'll still be OK if a Montage follow on is announced before I'm ready to invest in another keyboard. I may skip generation(s) as I have in the past.[/quotePost]

Yes I see your point about the prices. I just find it disappointing that the Montage doesn't get mentioned much these days. I own both an original MODX and a Montage.

My hopes were for an announcement of a big software update for the Montage as I believe there's still room to get more out of this synth and that would surely bring in more sales,

Posted : 16/04/2023 8:30 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

... I also wouldn't mind if Montage was "replaced" by a Montage+ that hardly changes anything except EOL (end of life) components to keep essentially the same product in production. Maybe a memory bump or something minimal to say there's forward progress -- right in line with what MODX+ did for MODX.

All content would be backwards/forward compatible and, done right, there'd be hardly any extra development costs in releasing firmware for both the old and new boards.

BTW: at NAMM Greg Phillinganes was a featured Yamaha artist and performer. His main axe in the performance is a Montage and he had a MODX7+ as a second keyboard he mentioned not having any familiarity with -- although assuming he's familiar with Montage then he's plenty familiar with MODX. At any rate, it was marketed that he uses Montage.

If you don't know the name - do yourself a favor and look him up. He's a heavy hitter. I really dig the videos he was doing for Spectrasonics. You get to see just him playing tunes he's had a hand in recording over the years.

Posted : 16/04/2023 10:18 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=121243]and he had a MODX7+ as a second keyboard he mentioned not having any familiarity with[/quotePost]
Which sounds kind of strange.

Anyway, I can't imagine any high profile or just professional keyboard player going onstage with a MODX.
(Speaking of which, here's Tori Amos' rig from a week ago: https://youtu.be/f5Kj5Fx-nMQ )

There's a big number of well known musicians / keyboard players who are using the Montage and *need* what it offers.

Posted : 16/04/2023 11:44 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

2nd keyboardist playing with him only had a MODX8+

Posted : 16/04/2023 9:19 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Greg Phillinganes.

Same thread.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/namm-has-begun-what-is-yamaha-revealing#reply-121243

So you don't have to look it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VWF9aDCRoI

There's another video of the same performance with worse audio quality and "better" (less chaotic) camera work. I prefer better sound.

... worse sound - but has more talking where the MODX is described as not being familiar. Probably meaning it was a backline unit and not his personal one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD_cN26VmuE

Posted : 17/04/2023 12:27 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

I've seen some YT vids.
As I said, I find this strange. A better word would be: disturbing.
Yamaha is using a top level player who doesn't even register the MODX on his radar, to try to "validate" the MODX as something usable at that level. It's not.

Posted : 17/04/2023 7:05 am
VintageKlavier1980s

Hi! The wonderful player Mr. Dave Delhomme on the right seems to be doing pretty decent job indeed playing the MODX8+ !

Posted : 17/04/2023 7:09 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us