Clear all

Next firmware update — suggestions

110 Posts
54 Users
0 Likes
14.3 K Views
Jason
Illustrious Member

The request to add more destinations (count, not type) within parts for motion control has been covered and some rationale and use cases given.

The request to add more destination types (mainly at part or element level - haven't explored operators enough to know the landscape there) has been requested as well. Although somewhat more vague - pointing out a few specifics as well as a more nebulous "and then some ...".

I'm not covering scenes here - but there are some parallels.

I'm wondering if this single destination can be used to fill the gap:

SysEx send (destination).

It would work that you could enter in some string of hex values as the destination and these would generate a sysex message. This would be helpful both for cases of controlling the Montage itself (get to as of yet parameters that do not have destinations) or external keyboards without needing a PC to serve a similar function. There is a case for sending SysEx to other downstream MIDI equipment in a live setting and it would be nice to have an option here.

All destinations have an output value - so the SysEx would allow for you to place the output value in any byte position. So this would allow for any SysEx message with all bytes except for one as static. This would cover a fairly wide range of controllable features and without that complex of an interface. You could limit the byte count to equal the longest SysEx message for controlling the longest parameter change message in Montage - and possibly limit the length so a few "unreasonable" things cannot be accomplished.

Otherwise, a fairly "dumb" tool with some possibilities of causing strange results if the user does not handle the message properly - but with a reasonable "are you sure" (or hard-to-get-into expert mode) so this is not something that will easily cause too many problems for the user who does not care about more destinations, external synth SysEx control, etc.

The rules would be as long as the input value does not change, the SysEx command is not resent. So there is not a flood of messages - the SysEx only changes when the output on the destination curve targeting SysEx changes.

This is not well suited for chains of SysEx commands - but I'm trying to get something that's more simple to implement with some limited flexibility with the target application primarily to "open up" more synth parameters as destinations.

Given the general idea of some way of having SysEx as a destination in motion sequence - this is open to an array of possible solutions - either more limited than I've explained - or less limited.

Thanks for the consideration.

Posted : 20/10/2016 11:00 pm
Trusted Member

I suggest to turn off the light of the faders that (in a scene) correspond to muted parts so that it is immediately possible to reconize the parts that are activated also from live set view.

Posted : 24/10/2016 7:31 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member

category search really needs to remember the last bank one was searching. It is absolutely annoying to have to go back to searching for the user bank or whatever other bank one is looking thru each and every time for each sound!!!

Posted : 24/10/2016 9:09 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Gabi wrote:

category search really needs to remember the last bank one was searching. It is absolutely annoying to have to go back to searching for the user bank or whatever other bank one is looking thru each and every time for each sound!!!

By "Bank" I assume you are referring to "All", "Preset", and "User".

In terms of remembering the PERFORMANCE bank, I kind of agree it would be nice to stay in user banks if you're mostly dealing with those in a session. But the solution available is not that bad. Press the [CATEGORY SEARCH] again while category search is shown and it will switch banks without having to press the touchscreen. This will cycle through the banks. Starting with "All", then "Preset", then "User". To force "All" from any other bank - you can hold down the [CATEGORY SEARCH] button. It takes a while - but on the gig pressing and holding as a "no look" reset may be helpful.

I'm sometimes "annoyed" by how Montage elects to choose various defaults for the menus - but it is workable.

This is NOT banks - but:
Press the PART/[COMMON] button to select the "All" as the main category.

I have another post where I run through the shortcuts available here since all items (Main category, sub category, and performance) have button shortcuts in the "Category Search" mode. The summary is that the buttons directly under "[LIVE SET]" to the right-hand end of the keyboard map to what's on the touchscreen.

Although I agree there is room for improvement - it's in the acceptable range (for me).

Posted : 25/10/2016 2:07 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

Just wanted to post a reminder:

It would be really helpful to have a SysEx or CC message that would turn blinking of the Super Knob on and off. I would love to be able to embed the "blink on" message at the beginnings of my songs and the "blink off" message at the ends of them.

I like having it blinking while I'm playing a song, but the blinking is distracting when I'm working with the Montage setting things up, etc.

Posted : 27/10/2016 1:52 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Michael Trigoboff wrote:

Just wanted to post a reminder:

It would be really helpful to have a SysEx or CC message that would turn blinking of the Super Knob on and off. I would love to be able to embed the "blink on" message at the beginnings of my songs and the "blink off" message at the ends of them.

I like having it blinking while I'm playing a song, but the blinking is distracting when I'm working with the Montage setting things up, etc.

If SysEx works for you (and blinking off = LED off altogether is OK), it's already implemented.

See data list (montage_en_dl_v110_b0.pdf) page 189 0x30 0x4B 0x11, data= 0x11 is off. The spec could do a better job of showing what hex values map to which patterns - but trial and error gets you there.

Full SysEx:

F0 43 10 7F 1C 02 30 4B 11 [data value here] F7

Off:
F0 43 10 7F 1C 02 30 4B 11 11 F7

Default (on):
F0 43 10 7F 1C 02 30 4B 11 00 F7

Then there are other values inbetween 0x01 - 0x10 for different LED patterns.

If you want to stop the flashing, but keep the LED on. This isn't documented. BM may be able to illuminate us. What I can see is that there is a trick with deleting live set page 2, slot 2 from the list returns. There are more differences because when I do a live set edit buffer dump, there are 5 less entries returned. (LED Flash=on has 5 more SysEx responses than LED Flash=off from the Live Set edit buffer). Otherwise, I see the user edit buffer is the same for LED flash=on or LED flash=off.

The current hypotheses is that there are tricks played with the live set memory - although this is highly speculative and working without a paddle.

I'd suggest sticking with turning the LED off completely for now.

Posted : 31/10/2016 3:24 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

If SysEx works for you (and blinking off = LED off altogether is OK), it's already implemented.

I was so fixated on leaving the Super Knob light on and the blinking off, that just turning the light off never occurred to me. That's a great idea!

I'd prefer to have the SK light stay on without blinking, but in the meantime your idea will work for me.

I'm still hoping they'll give us a SysEx to control blinking separately, or tell us how to do it if it's already possible somehow as you suggest.

Posted : 31/10/2016 6:18 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member

Jason wrote:

Gabi wrote:

In terms of remembering the PERFORMANCE bank, I kind of agree it would be nice to stay in user banks if you're mostly dealing with those in a session. But the solution available is not that bad. Press the [CATEGORY SEARCH] again while category search is shown and it will switch banks without having to press the touchscreen. This will cycle through the banks. Starting with "All", then "Preset", then "User". To force "All" from any other bank - you can hold down the [CATEGORY SEARCH] button. It takes a while - but on the gig pressing and holding as a "no look" reset may be helpful.

I'm sometimes "annoyed" by how Montage elects to choose various defaults for the menus - but it is workable.

This is NOT banks - but:

I have another post where I run through the shortcuts available here since all items (Main category, sub category, and performance) have button shortcuts in the "Category Search" mode. The summary is that the buttons directly under "[LIVE SET]" to the right-hand end of the keyboard map to what's on the touchscreen.

Although I agree there is room for improvement - it's in the acceptable range (for me).

For me this is the most and probably only irritating thing about the montage. I really hope this can be fixed! It´s esecially horrible when putting a series of arps in a part. For each and every arp one has to go thru the entire search thru bank - category - subcategory again. Why why why....

Posted : 31/10/2016 7:22 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member

1: the one-step-back arrow should be consistent. sometimes it does not go back to the last step but jumps back to the performance and you have to go thru everything all over again.

2: the remembering of folders should also be consistent. why does the system remember what folder you were looking at when you´re just doing category search, but when you´re editing parts and arps you have to go thru all folders from scratch each time? (if anything it should be the other way around!)

3: no automatic storing of loaded midi files from usb stick to the song folder.

4: montage connect needs to be able to send midi and wav files in both directions.

Posted : 04/11/2016 11:57 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Gabi wrote:

1: the one-step-back arrow should be consistent. sometimes it does not go back to the last step but jumps back to the performance and you have to go thru everything all over again.

2: the remembering of folders should also be consistent. why does the system remember what folder you were looking at when you´re just doing category search, but when you´re editing parts and arps you have to go thru all folders from scratch each time? (if anything it should be the other way around!)

I agree here. #1 is certainly a nuisance.

1) [SHIFT] + [PERFORMANCE] (HOME)
2) Touchscreen (TS): Press "Edit Part X Control Settings" (whatever # "X" happens to be)
3) TS: Display Filter - Change to MS Lane 1
4) TS: Press [+] to add a destination. Not altogether necessary, but that's what you'd normally do. Any random destination. InsA Speed or whatever comes up as default is fine.
5) TS: Touch "Edit Motion Sequencer"
6) TS: Press the "up" arrow which is usually the last menu and -- oops -- two screens back.

7) Ok, get back to the "Edit Motion Sequencer" screen in step 5
8) TS: Touch Lane 1 "Lane SW" and turn to "On"
9) TS: Press "edit sequence"
10) TS: press the "up" arrow - you get back to the screen in step 8. This is expected - no problem
11) TS: press "Edit sequence" to get back to step 10 screen
12) TS: Change curve to any user curve and press [ENTER]
13) TS: Touch "Edit User Curve"
14) From editing user curve - TS: press "up arrow" and -- oops! this goes back two screens as well.

I cannot see the utility in jumping back two menus when you edit the user curve. You have to plan -way- ahead to make that the last item to modify such that jumping back two menus levels back makes sense.

On the "remembering folders" front:

I'm also a fan of common actions. Something reliable that, as long as it serves the process, will work the same under many contexts. Reduces the amount of variation to have to memorize. Just a few fundamentals that carry throughout the interface. That said, I tend to deal with this particular "nuisance" better since there are button shortcuts to get you back to "square one".

Posted : 05/11/2016 8:22 am
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member

Increase the functionality of the Performance Recorder so that it incorporates more sequencer features...Call i t whatever name you wish but, I feel that the majority of present and future customers could not possibly not like it. There is just so much on-board sound and musical quality/inspiration with the Montage that, having even a basic sequencer can only bring us more joy.

Posted : 06/11/2016 8:41 pm
Phil
 Phil
Estimable Member

Gabi wrote:

Jason wrote:

Gabi wrote:

This is NOT banks - but:

For me this is the most and probably only irritating thing about the montage. I really hope this can be fixed! It´s esecially horrible when putting a series of arps in a part. For each and every arp one has to go thru the entire search thru bank - category - subcategory again. Why why why....

Posted : 06/11/2016 8:47 pm
Stefan

Chris wrote:

If saving a user performance that is referencing a waveform that is only in the library (where a library performance has not been imported to the user area) it would be good to color that performance a different color or put a small exclamation point next to it or something.

I second this! Finding out which libraries one can safely unload is not easy. What I would like even better: An option to import all waves from a specific library wich are used by user performances. Or alternatively when unloading library an option could be displayed showing the waveforms which are used by user performances. And the icing on the cake would be a list of which performances are referencing those waveforms.

Posted : 19/11/2016 9:25 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Chris wrote:

For example if I set the Mod Wheel to control Part Lfo, it would be cool if the Part Lfo screen came up when I touch teh Mod Wheel.

The issue with this is when you play it out through all the variations. A control can affect multiple items. Some part level, some element/operator level. There's not a great policy of bringing up screens for cases where destinations live on up to 16 different screens. That's for one part. Add multiple parts - and the number of screens/domains to switch to becomes even larger.

A suggestion which is related was the idea to show settings changing real-time as you moved the control(s). A mode which would show the offset values - not just the nominal values as is shown today. You would still need to find the screen with the settings. Somewhat of a combo would be to somehow highlight the menus or areas that have moving values with a different color so you could have somewhat of a guide to drill down to where the changing parameter is. So this would not "snap" to the screen - but say you were at the HOME screen - any part with parameters changing would show some form of color change when you moved a control that changed some parameter(s) within the part. Multiple parts may highlight indicating a change. You touch the part, go to edit - then the menu item(s) on the left side of the screen change color as you move the control that has some value changing under that menu.

I'm not sure if it's entirely necessary - but would be a cool "wow" type of thing. This would have to have an on/off advanced option setting which defaulted to OFF because an interface will look like it's arbitrarily changing random colors if you were the type of user who just uses presets and doesn't care about editing.

Posted : 19/11/2016 1:05 pm
Ron
 Ron
Eminent Member

NEXT FIRMWARE UPDATE — SUGGESTIONS
in my opinion Yamaha did a great step forward in sound quality and effects options on the new Montage , after the famous yamaha motif xs-xf series that all ready was and still is a awesome good all in one synth music workstation and my favorite yamaha motif options was sure the song and multi track multi section pattern mode pattern chain mix mode recorder in my case a super handy quick and easy step by step multi on board sequencer without need to hook up on a pc daw ok Yanaha thought most people use a modern computer based DAW music recording software like cubase -pro tools ableton- etc etc etc to create record mix edit a song project , mhh ?? that mostly does not really wat you had in mind !!. and always get a very pain full mouse hand / arm to must do from begin till end all with the mouse to produce a multi track recording mix edit master etc etc . NEXT FIRMWARE UPDATE SUGGESTIONS more options on the performance audio recorder and stand alone sequencer options to can do more . before go on mix end editing on a Pc-Daw thx for read my suggestions grts

Posted : 29/12/2016 10:53 pm
Page 7 / 8
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us