3 Users
0 Likes
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

trying to replicate this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeV9ekxMcUE&t=243s
and once again, my control assign button does not light up, like in the last tutorial with this...of course the use performance does not exist in my montage, so I chose anotgher one, a realy simple single aprt one called choir, and as far as I can see it´s assignments aren´t all filled up so what is up with it now. why do I get stuck again, why isn´t this working?

Posted : 12/04/2018 6:22 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

mhh. ok if I press the unlit control assing button it works, but why isn´t it immediatley after selecting the vowel in that effect lit like in the video? I treid with several performances, it is never ever lit automatically like in the video, why not? no matter what video I watch there´s always a little detail that´s different that is diffferent,. why?

Posted : 12/04/2018 6:35 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

and now you can no longer edit the posts? well good luck deciphering my gibberish....

Posted : 12/04/2018 6:37 pm
Bad Mister

The [CONTROL ASSIGN] button will light only when the following conditions are met:
Your cursor highlights a parameter that can be assigned.

This can be in EDIT mode or any time the highlight sits on a parameter that can be assigned to real time control. It is both that simple and that complex. As we mentioned previously, there is a limit to how many Source/Destination Control Sets per Part (16) and another set of 16 for the Performance Common functions.

When you get a behavior you are not expecting, it is likely because you’re not visualizing *where* in the synth architecture you are currently or you’re unaware of the number of Control Sets that are available. Basically, when in Edit you are either editing an individual Part or you are editing the functions all Part share in common. It is best to have these two areas clearly separated in your mind when attempting to assign a controller to a parameter or a parameter to a controller.

The upper left corner of the screen will always indicate where in the EDIT architecture you are, “Common” or “Part x”

Do you use the OVERVIEW screen to help see what is assigned to each PART and on the COMMON level of the architecture? I find it helpful to understand what is already assigned within a Performance. From the OVERVIEW screen you have *shortcut* boxes that can take you directly to the CONTROL ASSIGN screen where you can tweak the application settings.

Posted : 12/04/2018 7:20 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

well, ok, I am chosing the init performance, nothing is assigned so it can´t be that. I am touching "vowel" in "talking modulator" like in the video and the control assign button doesn´t light up. But when I touch said button "destination parameter" does come up. So the "vowel" is assignable but the knob doesn´t light up.

Posted : 12/04/2018 8:20 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Firmware version difference?

LED setting difference ? https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/17009-is-there-a-way-to-turn-off-they-montage-s-orange-lit-buttons#reply-17015

Other?

Posted : 13/04/2018 12:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You can backup Montage then initialize it back to factory settings and try again. This should eliminate possible differences in system settings.

Posted : 13/04/2018 12:04 pm
Bad Mister

well, ok, I am chosing the init performance, nothing is assigned so it can´t be that. I am touching "vowel" in "talking modulator" like in the video and the control assign button doesn´t light up. But when I touch said button "destination parameter" does come up. So the "vowel" is assignable but the knob doesn´t light up.

First, you mention the button [CONTROL ASSIGN] - which will glow any time you move the cursor highlight to a parameter than can be assigned to a Controller. Which Controllers are available will depend on which level of the architecture you are working.
You mention a knob lighting up - we are not sure which Knob you expect to light up. (?)

But no matter where you assign the “Talk Modulator” Effect Type, (to the Audio In, as a Variation Effect, as an Insertion Effect) the “vowel” parameter is an assignable parameter.

If you assign Talk Modulator as an Effect for the A/D Input or as a SYSTEM Effect, then the SuperKnob, AssignKnob1-8, MS Lane1-4, and Env Follower... are available
If you assign “Talk Modulator” as an Insertion Effect to a synth Part, Wheel then your controller options expand to include FC, RB, MW, PB Wheel, etc., etc., etc.

We’ll ask again, are you on the “Edit Common/Audio” or the “Edit Part x” level of the architecture the top line upper left side of the screen will always indicate where you are.

Posted : 13/04/2018 12:15 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

did I say knob? well I meant the assignable button not knob. I probably didn´t have the other assign button next to the superknob activated. don´t have it in front of me now. but that might be it, I keep forgetting that button...

Posted : 13/04/2018 2:35 pm
Bad Mister

Next time you are at it, it matters not about what you have Rotary Encoder Knobs currently set to display, that is independent from the [CONTROL ASSIGN] button from glowing. It glows any time you highlight a parameter than can be assigned to a controller or to control. Now if you want to assign one of the 8 ASSIGN KNOBS, then yes, you must engage the button that switches the 8 Rotary Encoders from the other functions that they can perform to being the ASSIGN KNOBs 1-8. (Don’t let this intimidate you but there are 128 “Assign Knobs”, 8 per Part Times the 16 Parts, plus 8 on the upper Common level of the architecture)... so it matters what buttons you press.

You seem to be insisting that the button does not light up [CONTROL ASSIGN] when you think it should. I’m attempting to explain when it should: any time the cursor highlight is placed on an assignable parameter. Let us know... next time your at the MONTAGE.

Posted : 14/04/2018 4:08 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

no, the control assign button does not light up (in init, which I assume is not all filled up with ssignments, should have noneat all if it´s init.) even thow the vowels are assignable. I must, once again, by default, without chaning any settings, not be in the right mode or something. I give up on hoping for that button to light up when it should, as long as it works when pressing it....

Posted : 14/04/2018 8:07 pm
Bad Mister

no, the control assign button does not light up (in init, which I assume is not all filled up with ssignments, should have noneat all if it´s init.) even thow the vowels are assignable. I must, once again, by default, without chaning any settings, not be in the right mode or something. I give up on hoping for that button to light up when it should, as long as it works when pressing it....

Gabi,
Look, it is no mystery why your light does not light up... If you turn the function OFF in UTILITY > "Settings" > "System" the buttons will not give you clues as to where you are or what can be assigned. Some people don't want any help from the lighted buttons so they OPT OUT on them as a 'preference' - that is what you have done (in all likelihood). They either don't like all those lights (perhaps they find them confusing), or they know the architecture so very well they no longer need any assistance from fully lighted buttons or 'glowing' buttons, or they simply don't understand that the lights are indicators, there to help them navigate the architecture and know what is available... (not only when operating the MONTAGE on a dark stage) but all-the-time.

Please go to UTILITY > touch "Settings" > touch "System" > set the "Half Glow" parameter = "1/4" Glow
Now your [CONTROL ASSIGN] button will glow anytime you highlight a parameter that can be assigned to a control or controller... whether you are in EDIT or on the main HOME screen.

Let us know.
Now your buttons will assist you.

Posted : 14/04/2018 9:32 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

bad mister you are absolutely right, half glow was set to off, I don´t know why.I think I was messing with superknobs settings due to a question on superknob glow settings here on the forum and thought "halfglow" was part of it....

Posted : 16/04/2018 4:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Glad half glow worked for you. Next time I'll have to cut/paste the previous content because perhaps following links isn't done ( https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/17009-is-there-a-way-to-turn-off-they-montage-s-orange-lit-buttons#reply-17015 )

Posted : 16/04/2018 10:39 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us