Clear all

Other Expression Pedals for Montage?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Akib
Topic starter

Hi All,
Is there any issue (both in compatibility and performance point of view) with any other reputed Expression Pedals for Montage?
I have no bad relation with Yamaha's FC7, but in my locality this is not available right away, need to order and wait; others are (e.g., Boss, M-Audio, etc.) are available in stock.
Please share your opinion..

Posted : 05/09/2019 8:18 am
Bad Mister

Order and wait for the Yamaha FC7. Getting any pedal is just simply not recommended. You have purchased a high end, high performance, race car, why put generic tires on it? Get the recommended pedal, it gives full response without having to adjust it. Some people get other pedals and will try to make believe that it works properly. Think about how long you will own it... compare that to how long you will have to wait for it to arrive. Others will chime in (making noise) about how you can get another brand pedal and mess around with adjusting it to work but it’s your music... you deserve an FC7, your Instrument and your Music will thank you.

Posted : 05/09/2019 8:52 am
 Akib
Topic starter

Order and wait for the Yamaha FC7. Getting any pedal is just simply not recommended. You have purchased a high end, high performance, race car, why put generic tires on it? Get the recommended pedal, it gives full response without having to adjust it. Some people get other pedals and will try to make believe that it works properly. Think about how long you will own it... compare that to how long you will have to wait for it to arrive. Others will chime in (making noise) about how you can get another brand pedal and mess around with adjusting it to work but it’s your music... you deserve an FC7, your Instrument and your Music will thank you.

Thanks "Bad Mister" for your point. Well, you as an Yamaha official, I don't expect otherwise from you anyway πŸ˜€ But, by technicality, guess you have some points, and I have to trust on that, seems FC7 is the choice for me then.

By the way, as you appeared as a responder, I have to say, that you were awesome with those tutorial videos and articles on Montage (specially on Cubase integration series). Anyone experienced can explain I guess, but your style and delivery was platinum grade. Really enjoyed and learned a lot. Thanks man.

Posted : 05/09/2019 9:30 am
 C
Eminent Member

Hi Bad Mister

I own a Kurzweil expression pedal and a generic one so didn’t see a need to purchase the Yamaha. Both work in exactly the same way without any configuration.

Listening to demos and using my pedals, I don’t detect any difference in operation between mine and the FC7 in the demos.

Is there any operational advantage with the FC7 ? Is the feel different? Would it be smoother ? Mine feel very smooth.

What extra advantage would be gained from purchasing the Yamaha one ?

Thank you

Posted : 05/09/2019 9:45 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Other discussions ...

https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/expression-pedal-calibration

Posted : 05/09/2019 8:47 pm
Manuel
Eminent Member

I use a Boss EV-30.
I bought it with a Yamaha FC-7 to test them both and I sent back the FC-7.
Why? 'cause the Boss EV-30 has metal chassis, it's compact, it has 2 exp outputs and it has detachable cable.

Posted : 06/09/2019 4:19 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I would think the 10k linear pot inside the EV-30 would have a difficult time reaching the extremes since it has 5x less range in resistance vs. the FC7. When you plug it in to control the superknob - you see full range of values for the superknob from 0 to 127? There's a screen in Montage that shows you the current superknob position. That's the easiest way (IMO) to test a pedal is compatible.

Posted : 06/09/2019 5:55 am
Bad Mister

Get the Yamaha FC7! It’s metal and made to work with the Yamaha Keyboards, it’s a no-brainer for those with a Yamaha Keyboard.
The FC7 has no Outputs, because it is not that kind of pedal...no audio runs through the FC7. It functions as a Control Pedal (means it’s assignable to scores of MONTAGE functions). As mentioned, many folks make this mistake (and defend it, obviously)... get the FC7, it is made for Yamaha Keyboards. And it supports the instrument you own β€” keeping prices down for the MONTAGE/MODX community.

Posted : 06/09/2019 7:24 am
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us