Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Ouch! 2 things to look out for when managing waveform memory, or cleaning up an XF All File import.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

1. Be sure to Optimize Waveform folder after you delete any unused or unnecessary samples, if you don't, you won't reclaim the space in a useable way. I tried to load the Bosendorfer Piano Library after clean up, and even though Montage showed over 800 Meg available, it kept reporting Memory Full error, - until I Optimized Waveforms folder.

And the BIG ONE...

2. Turn off Auto-Power Off before you Optimize! My Montage Auto-Powered off while in the middle of Optimization, and when I powered back on, all User Waveform data was understandably gone. I was saving to USB after each step, so all I had to do was re-load back my last User file from USB, but still...be careful with this.

Posted : 30/05/2016 6:45 pm
New Member Guest

Ugg, who wants "auto power off" on a synth anyway? !
and more so
How does the system decide to auto power off when it is in a process?

Posted : 31/05/2016 12:55 am
Bad Mister

@Gary

And the BIG ONE...

2. Turn off Auto-Power Off before you Optimize! My Montage Auto-Powered off while in the middle of Optimization, and when I powered back on, all User Waveform data was understandably gone. I was saving to USB after each step, so all I had to do was re-load back my last User file from USB, but still...be careful with this.

Sorry, but that's not possible, Gary. More likely it finished optimizing your data, then began its timed countdown to Auto Power Off. The instrument will Not, repeat NOT, power off during an operation, or even if a single parameter was changed.

In other words, if an item is changed from the stored state (if there is anything at all in the instrument's Edit Buffer) the Auto Power Off is automatically defeated.

Are you reporting that you saw the instrument Power Off while it was Optimizing?
Or are you reporting after returning to the instrument you found it in an OFF condition, and the last thing you were doing was optimizing internal memory?
These are two very different things. Hope you appreciate the difference.

@ Lgm

Ugg, who wants "auto power off" on a synth anyway? !
and more so
How does the system decide to auto power off when it is in a process?

Who wants it? Europe. It is now law in some European states that devices, like synthesizers technically speaking have a standby switch (not an On/Off) and thus some small amount of current continues to run between the item and the AC source, therefore it is required to have the Auto Power Off function on all class items of this type. In the USA where we only pay lip-service to saving the planet (true in America, on a hot humid day we turn the air conditioners up full blast at the movie theatres and open the doors to draw in the public) we tend to not be so frugal and planet-minded (although when asked will say the opposite) 🙂 You can set the AUTO POWER OFF item to OFF which will store it as your preference.

Someone will look into Gary's claim, of course, but we feel it is just newbie confusion with how it works (it does not delete Waveforms and Samples when you remove the program that uses it - neither did the XF). It would/should be impossible for the unit to power down during an operation that it was carrying out (impossible).

Posted : 31/05/2016 9:51 am
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi Phil,

1. Thanks for the clarification on Waveform management. Unfortunately, I've been reading a lot of information and reviews on-line, so I'm uncertain where I got the incorrect notion that Montage would automatically delete waveforms that were not being 'pointed to' or used by any Performances.

2. Yes, I am aware of, and appreciate, the unknown variables present from a trouble-shooting standpoint because I, in fact, did not see Montage power down in the middle of Optimizing my Waveform data. I did leave Montage while it was Optimizing and when I returned, Montage was off. But more to the point of the post, - when I turned it back on, all User waveforms were gone. The Library files were intact. My assumption that it Auto Powered off 'during Optimization' was proffered because the User Waveform data was gone. If it had completed Optimization and then powered down 30 minutes after processing the data, there would be no good reason for the User data to be gone. Would there? If so, please let me know what I missed. On the other hand, it is quite normal for a computer to lose data that is currently being processed if interrupted by loss of power. I also assumed that Montage Auto Powered-down because my XF, which was right beside Montage, was in the same state I left it in, - on the Utility>Flash page. It had not re-booted. It SHOULD be impossible for Montage to power down during an operation that it was carrying out, or more specifically, the Auto Power Off function should consider all internal processes as being 'in use' and not begin count-down to power off until they are complete and edits saved. I hope this was a fluke, but in the best interest of all involved, I felt it was important to share the experience.

Today I booted up holding down the lowest key on the keyboard disabling Auto Power Off. I initialized All data for good measure, loaded the un-optimzed User file back into Montage from USB drive, Optimized Waveform data, Saved as new User file as well as a Library file to USB, and had plenty of room to load my two other Library files. Success! At the very least, it reinforces the 'best-practice' of saving after each step in a tedious process 🙂

Once again, thank you for your time and information, Phil. Yamaha is wise to have you in these forums. Unlike many companies, and more like Apple, they are aware that support for their products is as important as creating great products if they really want them to succeed. You are a big part in why we see so many Motifs on stages in venues across the world. That it sometimes comes with slight doses of condescension and contempt, - hell, that's just entertaining, lol, and it demonstrates your passion for the company/products. Never be in doubt that we love and appreciate that you are here and helping! Keep up the great work!

Sincerely,
G

Posted : 01/06/2016 6:00 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us