Notifications
Clear all

PATTERN SEQ’G first impressions and ..

54 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
roberto
Eminent Member

I only want to run sequencer and use the super knob manually to change, for example, the volume of string part, the position of the S.K. is recorded also if not touched, so when I run pattern sequencer I can't use the S.K. to control the volume of the string part because the S.K. is resetted every pattern loop. this is an elementary use, I can't write 100 line in order to explain this.

Posted : 24/10/2019 10:30 pm
roberto
Eminent Member

"The current system, the Super Knob movement is documented to a “hidden” track. While each Part has a correspondingly numbered dedicated Track, the Super Knob data is separate (call it a System Track). This Track can be overdubbed, it can be removed, it can be deactivated."

"This Track can be overdubbed, it can be removed, it can be deactivated."

"it can be deactivated." How ? because I only need this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjlocy7jilt1gc3/_Montage.mov?dl=0

Posted : 24/10/2019 10:43 pm
roberto
Eminent Member

So...there is no way to deactivate Super Knob control in the pattern sequencer ? i'm go crazy, I can't use it manually when the pattern is running

Posted : 26/10/2019 6:18 pm
Bad Mister

I only want to run sequencer and use the super knob manually to change, for example, the volume of string part, the position of the S.K. is recorded also if not touched, so when I run pattern sequencer I can't use the S.K. to control the volume of the string part because the S.K. is resetted every pattern loop. this is an elementary use, I can't write 100 line in order to explain this.

I see you are not understanding this... Automation that takes place in a looping segment is always problematical in playback. Controllers either reset or persist... please do the following... since you only want to manually change the volume of the string Part...

Please do the following experiment without the Super Knob... try changing the Volume while recording into the sequencer... use the Slider.
Please record something... changing the volume as you do, then play it back.

Let us know what you discover. The Slider controlled Volume will persist— so accurate playback in a Pattern cannot be insured. It does not return to the stored value upon cycling to the top. If you faded to 0, the next cycle starts at zero... making it impossible to guarantee accurate playback. In order to do that you would need to insert a volume Reset!

The Super Knob could be responsible for well over 100 parameters... to ensure accurate playback per segment the Super Knob position resets... once you understand this... start you search for a way to accomplish what you need to accomplish.

When it comes to the Super Knob:
If you record to a Pattern the initial position is recalled at the top of each Scene—this ensures each cycles plays back exactly as recorded.
If you record to a MIDI (Song) the initial position is recalled at the beginning of recording, the top measure only.
If you “only want to run sequencer and use the Super Knob manually to change the volume of the string Part”... do so on a linear Song structure.

Let us know when you ‘get’ how automation works... and specifically, how it does not work in looping sections, then we can talk about what you can do... if you don’t understand this important point about MIDI automation it will be difficult to move forward.

Posted : 27/10/2019 8:03 am
roberto
Eminent Member

I know very well MIDI automation because I have been using it for 30 years, for this reason I know that midi data can be deleted or choose to not be recorded, but not in the year 2019 inYamaha Montage...Yes I can use the 8 slider or the 8 rotary encoders to move volume or parameter (in the case of the 8 upper encoders) but this not with my foot controller, so I must use my left hand to move things instead of playing keys...I hope in a future update that can delete S.K. inital data or do what you writed :

"The current system, the Super Knob movement is documented to a “hidden” track. While each Part has a correspondingly numbered dedicated Track, the Super Knob data is separate (call it a System Track). This Track can be overdubbed, it can be removed, it can be deactivated."

Posted : 27/10/2019 9:29 am
roberto
Eminent Member

P.S. I can't use linear song because - for example - I only need in a live gig a tambourine playng in loop.....

Posted : 27/10/2019 9:46 am
Bad Mister

Sorry, I can tell you still don’t see what I’m asking you to do. Maybe the language difference, maybe you just don’t know. If you record automation 30 years ago or now, into a looping Pattern -you will not be able to play it back as you recorded it. This is still true.

So please, again, one more time. Please do this experiment: Record, yes using a slider and your hand, record to a four measure Scene. Start your fade out halfway through... Full volume for the first two measures, then at measure 3 fade out to 0 volume for the next two measures. Record this with LOOP = OFF... so recording stops at the end.

Now Play it back. When it reaches 0, it will stay at 0, until it sees another automation command. Let it play over and over... do you hear what is happening?

Do you agree that, you cannot record automation into a Pattern and then play it back properly? Yes? No?
You need a reset, correct? If you’ve been using MIDI for 30 years this is not difficult to understand.

The Super Knob resets. On playback, it can guarantee that what you recorded plays back exactly as executed. This, you can understand, why it must have a reset. Accept this as current situation... now let’s move to the next step...

Extra Credit:
If you wish to have a control that behaves as a volume control that does not reset and that you move with your foot, you still can... but not with the Super Knob.

Each of the Common Assign Knobs 1-8 can take on a independent role. They can be detached from the Super Knob (this from a previous update - firmware 1.50.x), in such a state, they can be assigned across multiple Parts addressing parameters differently in each, and they can be controlled with a Foot Controller, in the same manner as the Super Knob. Also they will NOT automatically reset, because you have unlinked them from the Super Knob. It will exhibit the *persist* type behavior...

I’m trying to get you into this new space. As you said, it is 2019!

Each Part has eight Assign Knobs.
If you set a Foot Controller to Control Number 17 it will control Part Assign Knob 1 in all the KBD CTRL Parts simultaneously.
Let that sink in for a minute. This means you can control across multiple Parts by linking the Part Assign Knobs to the same Common Assign Knob.
And then by unlinking this Common Assign Knob from the Super Knob, this makes it possible to setup your Foot Controller as a “live” control.
Trust me, it’s what I’m trying to get you to discover for yourself.

It takes planning out what you want to do with a sequence Performance. You do not have to use the Controller matrix in the same way as you do when performing a live Performance... the Sequencer offers new methods to approach things during playback.

Musical Example:
Say you want play an acoustic piano morphing to an fm electric piano, but you did not want to define whether it was acoustic or electric by recording the transition. Say you want to do the transition “live” in real time, whenever you wished during playback. We know that the Super Knob *resets* at the top of every Scene. Assuming these are the facts in evidence.... then we need a way to create that morphing behavior without using the Super Knob. You CAN do this! Always could...

_You can do so by assigning the Part Volume control in both instrument Parts to Part Assign Knobs, for example Part Assign 1, in each. Then link them both to the same Common Assign Knob on the upper Common level of the Performance.
_Next because we don’t want the *reset* to happen, unlink the Common Assign Knob controlling the morph from the Super Knob. This is done in the SCENE Memory area, on a per Scene basis.

This will prevent it from moving with the Super Knob, it will also prevent it from resetting. It makes it a mini-Super Knob, designed specifically for this Performance — allowing manual control over the morph, in this case. By assigning your Foot Controller to the Part Assign “Control Number” you make it possible to move that same numbered Part Assign Knob simultaneously in all KBD CTRL linked Parts. Control Number 17 will turn all eight Part Assign 1 Knobs... each with its own depth settings. with some planning this can be put to extremely creative use.

I can attach an example illustrating this — your Foot Controller will allow you to morph the acoustic piano and electric piano... without the Super Knob directly involved. You can record using either the acoustic or the electric... but record all the way through the Length with one OR the other, this way on playback you can change it by simply moving the Foot Controller.

Let us know. New rules...

Posted : 27/10/2019 9:52 am
Member Admin

It is a sloppy piece of programming, and design.

Between the designers, marketers and the programmers, more than a few things have gone horribly astray. The naming conventions indicate the programmers hold ultimate sway over what's done. Worse, there's no easy overview provided, because it seems that the explainers and teachers were not engaged in the design, and are coming to terms with the software's limitations and motivations as they use it, rather than being guided and informed by some kind of design documentation. The original design documentation was probably binned when it got in the way of the programmers' wanting to hit a deadline in their way, regardless of original objectives, nuances and considerations.

Bad Mister, probably the most focused Yamaha aficionado, and someone paid to learn their tools, resorts to suggesting months of usage are required to get comfortable with the ways things work in this "sequencer" to be able to then positively reason about how it works. That should be sufficient Indication that the result is a slop.

Almost nobody else is paid for that amount of time to come to that perception. Almost nobody else has his innate passion for (and insight into) Yamaha products.

In fact, most everyone else is paying to have an experience that they hope is as immediately beneficial to their creativity and expression as possible. In that, Yamaha has failed, here, beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Having used it on the MODX, I am quite confidently able to say it's sloppy programming, not just sloppy design. The performance of much of the keyboard has regressed in 2.0, and the performance in "Pattern" mode is woeful.

Performance becomes untenable once any knob twiddling is recorded in an overdub. At that point the whole thing goes beyond woeful performance and well and truly into bugginess.

Posted : 27/10/2019 9:52 am
roberto
Eminent Member

All this remember me the KBD KTRL that 2 years ago cant'be stored in scene memory for big programming problems and note stealing errors...now we know that it was possible.

I hope that in 2 years they give to us the possibility to delete SK automation or disconnect it from pattern sequencer (not definitively but by choice)..and a note editor...

Posted : 27/10/2019 10:34 am
roberto
Eminent Member

I don't want to record automation, in fact I can not move the SK during pattern recording, I'm sayng that I can not use my foot to move the SK that move some parameters during pattern play because there is no choice to record or not record/read the position of the SK. that's all simple and linear

Sorry, I can tell you still don’t see what I’m asking you to do. Maybe the language difference, maybe you just don’t know. If you record automation 30 years ago or now, into a looping Pattern -you will not be able to play it back as you recorded it. This is true.

So please, again, one more time. Please do this experiment: Record, yes using a slider and your hand, record to a four measure Scene. Start your fade out halfway through... Full volume for the first two measures, then at measure 3 fade out to 0 volume for the next two measures. Record this with LOOP = OFF... so recording stops at the end.

Now Play it back. When it reaches 0, it will stay at 0, until it sees another automation command. Let it play over and over... do you hear what is happening?

Do you agree that, you cannot record automation into a Pattern and then play it back properly? Yes? No?
You need a reset, correct? If you’ve been using MIDI for 30 years this is not difficult to understand.

Posted : 27/10/2019 10:51 am
Bad Mister

I don't want to record automation, in fact I can not move the SK during pattern recording, I'm sayng that I can not use my foot to move the SK that move some parameters during pattern play because there is no choice to record or not record/read the position of the SK. that's all simple and linear

Please continue reading... you can’t just stop when you think you have a point. I know you don’t want to record automation. Please try to complete reading the post.

Posted : 27/10/2019 12:29 pm
roberto
Eminent Member

I have read all, but you have edited the post,

Posted : 27/10/2019 1:29 pm
Member Admin

Please continue reading... you can’t just stop when you think you have a point. I know you don’t want to record automation. Please try to complete reading the post.

I understand what you're trying to say, and the disconnect.

Roberto is expecting statefulness.

You are accepting of Yamaha's foibles in this department, he is not, because he's expecting statefulness.

In fairness to Roberto, it's fair to expect statefulness in something that calls itself a PATTERN Sequencer, even if it is merely a Pattern Recorder. State is part of a pattern, in any language.

Posted : 27/10/2019 1:42 pm
Bad Mister

I have read all, but you have edited the post,

Are you able to setup Foot Control over your Parts as described?

Posted : 27/10/2019 2:01 pm
roberto
Eminent Member

I found a better solution without using another foot switch : change in performance mode/control/control number / Foot Ctrl 2 to 17 and change all the assign knob to the same number 17, in this way the foot controller 2 go directly to all the 8 assign knobs, thank you

Attached files

Posted : 27/10/2019 3:03 pm
Page 2 / 4
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us