Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Please recommend a cable for connecting to unbalanced source.

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Marc
Topic starter

Hello!

I would use any available Cable but given I just spent $4000.00 for this thingy, I want to make sure I get the best result. ๐Ÿ™‚

Unfortunately my Audio Interface accepts only UNBALANCED inputs, meaning I have to use Unbalanced cable. TS.

The Montage is about 18 feet from the Audio Interface.

What kind (brand) of TS Cable should I use?

I was thinking Mogami but curious as to how you are connecting this.

Thanks

Posted : 07/09/2017 6:25 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Depends on how "noisy" your environment is and how much noise you can tolerate. 18ft seems like a long run (thinking of an antenna) - but it may be OK (without DI or mixer).

You can go balanced right up to your unbalanced device which is 18ft away using a DI box or mixer (25ft TRS[Montage]-to-XLR[DI/Mixer]). Then use the shortest TS cable you can find of reasonable quality between the DI/mixer and your unbalanced device.

Or just stab straight in with a TS cable and see if that meets expectations.

Posted : 07/09/2017 7:37 am
Bad Mister

Before connecting the MONTAGE to an external audio interface, you do realize it has its own audio interface built-in? If your goal is recording you need only connect to your computer via USB, connect the Main L&R Outputs to your monitoring system.

You can setup as a 32-in/6-out audio interface for Mac or PC.
You can record as many as 16 stereo Outputs simultaneously, or set Output buses as mono as you may require.
You can record 16 stereo at 24-bit/44.1kHz, or at higher resolutions you can record 4 Stereo at 24-bit/44.1, 48, 96 or 192kHz.

Just FYI.

Posted : 07/09/2017 9:54 am
 Marc
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

Before connecting the MONTAGE to an external audio interface, you do realize it has its own audio interface built-in? If your goal is recording you need only connect to your computer via USB, connect the Main L&R Outputs to your monitoring system.

You can setup as a 32-in/6-out audio interface for Mac or PC.
You can record as many as 16 stereo Outputs simultaneously, or set Output buses as mono as you may require.
You can record 16 stereo at 24-bit/44.1kHz, or at higher resolutions you can record 4 Stereo at 24-bit/44.1, 48, 96 or 192kHz.

Just FYI.

Thank you for the information:
The Montage is just one of several Synths I have. If I use the AI in the Montage, then that will drastically change my setup.

Currently I do not use a Mixer, all of my sound sources are connected to a single Interface and recorded Via Cakewalk Sonar.
Right now I am only recording MIDI Tracks, I do not record audio until later in the process.

My goal is to use the Montage as sound and performance source.

But assuming I want to use the AI in the Montage, I will have to connect all of the other Sound sources to record using the Montage.

Like using a Sequencer in a Keyboard, I would rather not use the AI in the Montage giving my complex setup of external devices.

But it is nice to know such feature exists when the time comes to use it.

Posted : 07/09/2017 1:22 pm
Bad Mister

Marc,
I understand, but you may not have understand what I said. You can use any DAW software you choose. In talking about the audio interface built-into the MONTAGE... it works with whatever pro DAW you might choose, certainly it would work with Sonar. Any DAW capable of using an ASIO Driver.

Don't let the name of the driver fool you, Yamaha and Steinberg driver just happen to be the companies that make the driver. VST and ASIO as basic standard protocols are Steinberg innovations that are used widely by many companies throughout the industry. Used by Cakewalk Sonar, Cubase, and scores of other DAWs...

The fact that you have access to 32 bus outputs from your MONTAGE via USB can still be used whenever you are ready to commit to or render parts as audio. It doesn't matter if that is early in the process, during the process or not until the very end... eventually you will need to commit to audio. To overlook this powerful tool because you think it would change the way you have always worked...would be criminal. I'm just recommending a new look at all of this; but to assume that you have to work as you do, because you always have worked that certain way. We are hoping it offers changes to the way you've always worked.

A lot will depend on how you use the Motion Control Engine of your MONTAGE. If you use it like it was just a bunch of Motif XFs Tone engines via MIDI, that's cool, it can certainly do that. But there are some things you can do with MONTAGE that are going to challenge the way you have always done things... don't miss out because it might "drastically change [your] setup"! I'm just obligated to point this out.

Because you have other gear... consider using one of them as a modulation source in your MONTAGE synthesis engine. The MONTAGE offers new (exciting) possibilities... https://yamahasynth.com/resources/using-montage-for-processing-analog-synthesizers

Try to minimize unbalanced cable runs when attempting to record, that's just good practice. Expensive cables can make you feel better about it, but in general, old timers will recommend you never go more than 20ft. That's why 18ft is a pretty common length. But these are all rules of thumb, shorter cables can have RFI and some long cables don't have an issue. Just stay vigilant, don't break the copper in your cables by bending them over your elbow, don't walk on or step on your cables, and for goodness' sake listen closely - because depending on where you are it can raise its head at the worst times.

Investing in DI boxes maybe cost effective because it will solve the problem of potential radio interference for longer than high priced unbalanced (long) cables will... how many long cables are you running... it has to be said: move your gear to create a better (better meaning shorter) cabling situation. If that is not possible, it's not possible, but anyone helping you would have to suggest it as your best first option. If you wind up with radio noise, at least you'll know the reason- and why you're spending extra money to solve it. (Many folks blame the gear, and never realize the real underlying cause...).

Setting up the MONTAGE via USB can be done whenever you're ready to render audio... switching audio interfaces is a possible workflow. 18-20ft USB cables are not common either, for reasons that are similar... they want you setup your devices in close proximity for best results. Just saying...

Posted : 07/09/2017 3:14 pm
Paul
 Paul

Hallo Marc,

the best way and technical clean is the following:

With a balanced Cable (TRS out of the montage) and a XLR on the other side you go to your AI.
There you need for each channel a DI reverse Box (for example Palmer PDIR 01) - In this box you connect the XLR.
At the other side of the box there is a TS connection, which has changed to unbalanced.

So you can go the long wax balanced and the little piece to your AI unbalanced.

Sorry, my english is not so good, Iยดm from Germany.

Posted : 07/09/2017 3:17 pm
 Marc
Topic starter

Paul wrote:

Hallo Marc,

the best way and technical clean is the following:

With a balanced Cable (TRS out of the montage) and a XLR on the other side you go to your AI.
There you need for each channel a DI reverse Box (for example Palmer PDIR 01) - In this box you connect the XLR.
At the other side of the box there is a TS connection, which has changed to unbalanced.

So you can go the long wax balanced and the little piece to your AI unbalanced.

Sorry, my english is not so good, Iยดm from Germany.

Okay, thanks everyone:
What if I just get an interface with Balanced Inputs, do I still need a DI Box?

Posted : 07/09/2017 5:11 pm
Paul
 Paul

No, the Montage has an balanced Output.
You only need a cable with a TRS on the Montage side and a TRS or XLR on the AI side (both types are possible in dependend on the Type of AI pr mixer)

Posted : 07/09/2017 5:22 pm
 Marc
Topic starter

Paul wrote:

No, the Montage has an balanced Output.
You only need a cable with a TRS on the Montage side and a TRS or XLR on the AI side (both types are possible in dependend on the Type of AI pr mixer)

Thanks Paul:

I have been planing to get an RME FireFace UFX+ AI later on. ๐Ÿ™‚
I will look to see if I can find a new temp interface and then get the RME later.

I am in the US by the way.

Posted : 07/09/2017 5:28 pm
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us