Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Using the MPE4 to expand MIDI usage on the Yamaha KX88 with the Motif or the Montage

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Gary
Topic starter

can anyone help me with using the Yamaha MPE4 along with my KX88 controller so that I can get to more midi channels on my Montage? I really love the action on the KX88 but because it is an older technology, I was told by Yamaha support folks that I would not be able to use the split and other midi capabilities on the Montage or my Motif, and I was hoping that using a MPE4, I will be able to split and use the different options on either the Motif or the Montage because the MPE4 allows the signal from the KX88 to split into 4 different midi channels.

Posted : 07/09/2017 8:40 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I think you mean MEP4.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/yamaha-midi-event-processor/1621

You would use the "limit" function to limit note range, and modify the output MIDI channel.

Read through the MEP4 manual as there are some examples given to get you started.

Not sure it's necessary to use the MEP4 - but not sure exactly what you're trying to do (like reassign the KX88 faders to target something else on Montage, etc).

... if you wanted to go off the deep end - you can "chain" multiple MEP4 units together to expand the number of events you can filter and modify. It seems most stop at 2. The manual has some examples of using 2.

Posted : 07/09/2017 8:50 am
 Gary
Topic starter

Thanks Jason,

I was told by the Yamaha folks in support that using my KX88 would limit my use of the montage or the motif because of the fact that the kX88 is somewhat dated and could only split into two different midi sends.

I thought I read somewhere that the MEP4 could split into 4 different splits. So that would give me 2 x4 = 8.

I would be happy if the KX88 could just play the montage of motif and whatever keys I sent on/off messages to would then act as if I was playing the Montage or Motif itself. But from what I understand from Yamaha support, this is not the case, and I was hoping that using the MEP4, I could make this so.

Thanks again,

Bear

Posted : 07/09/2017 5:55 pm
Bad Mister

I would be happy if the KX88 could just play the montage of motif and whatever keys I sent on/off messages to would then act as if I was playing the Montage or Motif itself.

You most certainly can... Here's how:

Press [UTILITY]
Touch "Settings" > "Advanced"
Set the MIDI I/O Mode = Single.
Select a MIDI Channel on which you wish to play (trigger) the MONTAGE

MIDI coming in the MONTAGE MIDI In jack is able to trigger the ARPEGGIATOR and TONE GENERATOR exactly as if you were playing the MONTAGE Keybed! The difference is really in what gets sent OUT of the MONTAGE (this does not effect what you transmit In from your KX88). Simply set the KX88 to transmit to the MONTAGE on a single MIDI Channel.

Posted : 07/09/2017 6:41 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us