Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Pls Help! Montage (or any synth) Settings For Sample Robot to be able to sample.

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Drew
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello. Second try to post this question.
HOW DOES ONE SET UP AN ACTUAL SYNTHESIZER TO GET A DESIRED SOUND TO RECORD TO S.R. via MIDI?
I am attempting to use the just released Sample Robot for Montage. Download was successful, setup was correctly implemented on S.R.
Using Montage itself to test sampling onto S.R. chose a STRING performance.
Connected midi cables correctly to audio interface (not USB). Switched the Montage Utility/settings to MIDI from USB.
Chose common RECORD settings on test S.R following the tutorial video.
I press the keys in S.R. and it produces the PERFORMANCE from.the Montage.
I hit record, 5,4,3,2,1...it plays one piano note (not the string performance I chose.
then, nothing...nothing gets recorded. tried turning off Montage LOCAL and much else to no avail
I believe it has to be keyboard settings. My midi knowledge is very limited. PLEASE HELP. What are the common synthesizer settings to correctly communicate with S.R. I have many keyboards (Triton, Kronos, etc) I would like to rip sounds from asap!
Been waiting forever in desperation to get this software.
thank you in advance!

Posted : 21/08/2018 2:41 pm
Bad Mister

You can't sample via MIDI. MIDI is not sound.
You can sample audio.
Connect whatever it is you are going to sample to your audio interface using signal cables. No audio travels via MIDI cables.

Posted : 21/08/2018 3:54 pm
 Drew

OK. Me again with a different sign in. Password issues unresolved as of yet.
I am aware of that (midi) and have stereo 1/4" outs from the keyboard to the audio interface as well. I record on my DAW using these inputs. Sample Robot for fully automated sampling requires midi. Hence, that is how I was able to play the montage string sound on the Sample Robot keyboard by clicking the keys.
This is why I'm confused. Knowing that I hope you'll take a second glance at my previous post and give me a clue where I'm coming up short.

Posted : 21/08/2018 5:56 pm
 Drew

Ok. with a bit of research, Sample Robot uses midi to communicate with the Montage and actually follows the preset instructions in the process of ripping the sound from the Montage. In other words I don't press the intervals to record, SR does. The problem lies in what keyboard settings being necessary to communicate with SR. Utility/settings/usb or midi/ key local on or off, setting Montage midi channel for the preferred performance to be ripped...etc. This is where I need help. the instructions, unless I overlooked something, are non-existent. Only the software is covered. I guess they assumed I should know this but I don't work with midi much. I'm a live player and don't use a laptop for sounds. Hoping someone out there can assist me.
thanks

Posted : 21/08/2018 8:28 pm
Stefan

You write that it actually played the piano note when you started the sampling process. That means that part works.

You wrote that it played a piano instead of the chosen string. That means it switches the program. That can be fixed in the wizard screens by selecting MIDI channel 0 for program changes. The screen where you select the channels says so.

As to why it does not record the sound, I don’t know. You have to tell SR from which audio interface to sample. Maybe you selected the wrong one?

What I did was to use the Montage as my audio interface. Connected to the PC via USB. Connect the synth to be sampled to the Montage inputs, enable the inputs, select the right input level with the level knob. Then select main usb left and right as the inputs. That worked very fine.

I also used the Montage as the MIDI Interface. For that connect the MIDI out of the Montage to the input of the synth, select MIDI port 3 in Sample Robot.

Posted : 21/08/2018 8:47 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It's odd that the montage tutorial shows using something other than Montage as your audio interface. The tutorial wasn't customized for Montage users. I think it would be good for the SRobot team to brush up the tutorial to show details more relevant to using Montage as both the audio and MIDI interface to external gear.

Stefan's rundown is what they'd show - only with pictures of the settings.

At least the tutorial did show the MIDI channel 0 to prevent Sample Robot from changing the program number.

Posted : 22/08/2018 3:25 am

Hi there,

This is Chris from SKYLIFE. The video tutorial just gives you a short overview what you can do with SampleRobot Montage. We are already working on in-depth hands-on videos that show the settings and possibilites with greater detail.

For now you can also refer to the user manual that can be found in the help menu of SampleRobot.

Here is a direct link:

http://www.samplerobot.de/manuals/SampleRobot_Montage_Manual.pdf

Hope that helps getting you started.

Good luck and best regards,

Chris

Posted : 22/08/2018 9:20 am
 Mark

Hey Chris, glad to hear more videos are on the way. May I suggest one on sampling VST instruments, I have a lot of those I
would like to incorporate into my Montage.

Posted : 22/08/2018 6:27 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us