Clear all

Probably Simple Problem Steinberg driver

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Ryan
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I am trying to update the driver in cubase and the instructions seem to be pretty straight forward, but when I check at the end in device manager, after clicking on the arrow next to "sound, video, game controller", it only brings up my computers default driver "realtek". I have a pc and use windows 10. I dont understand what im doing wrong. I feel it shouldnt be difficult to figure this out. If somebody has already asked this question, I would greatly appreciate it if you could direct me to the answer. Thank you for your time.

Posted : 11/11/2016 3:12 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The easier place to look for the result of the driver install is the lower-right hand side of the taskbar just to the left of the time/date in Windows 10. Right click the speaker icon, then select "playback devices" (for example).

Note that the keyboard has to be plugged in via USB in order to see it. Currently, I have my keyboard in its gigbag after a practice - so I do not see the driver or Montage since it is not activated through a connection to Montage.

Also, on Montage, make sure your MIDI settings are set to "USB" rather than "MIDI" (meaning the circular DIN connectors for MIDI). Using USB (MIDI over USB) will ensure your Montage is communicating to Windows through the driver. Technically, this will present a certain USB device signature to the PC which will invoke the driver.

After a driver install, it's good policy to reboot although not all drivers require this.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver.html

states:

"Please double click on the downloaded ZIP-file. Another double click on the "Setup.exe" (Windows) or the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver" package (Mac) starts the installation. Please read the "Installation Guide" inside the unzipped folder carefully before installation!"

The installation guide "EN_InstallationGuide.pdf" shows specific instructions for disconnecting USB during installation, then after installation powering on the device (Montage) with the USB cable connected. I'm sure you're referencing this file since it also has you go through the device manager to check installation.

Since the installation notes are not specific to any given device - I believe the missing step is setting MIDI to USB mode.

At-a-glance - if you look at the touchscreen's top status line - there is an icon that looks like a circle with dots in it (MIDI over DIN connector mode) or looks like a MIDI cable type-A connector (MIDI over USB connector mode). If you see the 1st icon, you need to change this setting.

Rounding out the possibilities - also be sure a USB cable with the square-ish connector (type B connector) is connected to the Montage "USB to Host" port and the rectangle-ish side of this cable (type A connector) is plugged into your PC. This type of cable is commonly used to connect printers to PCs.

Posted : 11/11/2016 3:57 pm
 Ryan
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you very much. I appreciate the help. I will attempt it again here.

Posted : 11/11/2016 4:23 pm
 Ryan
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Jason wrote:

The easier place to look for the result of the driver install is the lower-right hand side of the taskbar just to the left of the time/date in Windows 10. Right click the speaker icon, then select "playback devices" (for example).

Note that the keyboard has to be plugged in via USB in order to see it. Currently, I have my keyboard in its gigbag after a practice - so I do not see the driver or Montage since it is not activated through a connection to Montage.

Also, on Montage, make sure your MIDI settings are set to "USB" rather than "MIDI" (meaning the circular DIN connectors for MIDI). Using USB (MIDI over USB) will ensure your Montage is communicating to Windows through the driver. Technically, this will present a certain USB device signature to the PC which will invoke the driver.

After a driver install, it's good policy to reboot although not all drivers require this.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver.html

states:

"Please double click on the downloaded ZIP-file. Another double click on the "Setup.exe" (Windows) or the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver" package (Mac) starts the installation. Please read the "Installation Guide" inside the unzipped folder carefully before installation!"

The installation guide "EN_InstallationGuide.pdf" shows specific instructions for disconnecting USB during installation, then after installation powering on the device (Montage) with the USB cable connected. I'm sure you're referencing this file since it also has you go through the device manager to check installation.

Since the installation notes are not specific to any given device - I believe the missing step is setting MIDI to USB mode.

At-a-glance - if you look at the touchscreen's top status line - there is an icon that looks like a circle with dots in it (MIDI over DIN connector mode) or looks like a MIDI cable type-A connector (MIDI over USB connector mode). If you see the 1st icon, you need to change this setting.

Rounding out the possibilities - also be sure a USB cable with the square-ish connector (type B connector) is connected to the Montage "USB to Host" port and the rectangle-ish side of this cable (type A connector) is plugged into your PC. This type of cable is commonly used to connect printers to PCs.

I am pretty sure I have done everything correctly. When I right click on the speaker it says Line- montage-Default device, am i on the right path? Thank you again for your time.

Posted : 11/11/2016 5:34 pm
Bad Mister

One important point, when you set the Montage as your audio device (interface) expect the audio to come from the Montage Main Left/Right Outputs. Just mentioning that because it will no longer use your computer's audio outputs.

Posted : 11/11/2016 6:43 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us