Notifications
Clear all

Problem Changing a Part in Performance

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Joe
Topic starter

I have a factory performance and I want to change an existing part to a different bass sound. When I do, I get a percussion/drum sound instead of the chosen bass part. Even on a new track, when I choose a lead part, it defaults to a percussion/drum. Am I misunderstanding something?

Posted : 16/03/2021 2:50 pm
Bad Mister

I have a factory performance and I want to change an existing part to a different bass sound. When I do, I get a percussion/drum sound instead of the chosen bass part. Even on a new track, when I choose a lead part, it defaults to a percussion/drum. Am I misunderstanding something?

Hi Joe,
Welcome to YamahaSynth!

Here is what you maybe missing... a Performance is made up of Parts. Each Part appears as a slot, and can contain either a complete instrument or a portion of an instrument. While you can link as many as 8 Parts together, a Performance can have as many as 16 Parts (for use with Sequencers/DAWs, etc. When you seek to select a different bass program for a Part, you naturally go to [CATEGORY SEARCH].

There are three different Searches for sound programs.
One lets you search for a new Performance - meaning all Parts will be replaced with a completely different Performance. This is called “Performance Category Search” and is selected when you Press [CATEGORY SEARCH] from the HOME screen (the Performance Name box is highlighted).

The second Search type called “Performance Merge” allows you to combine Performances. This Search type appears when you tap the “+” icon that appears in an empty Part slot. You are adding (or merging) the selected item to empty slots.

The third type, deals directly with your situation, and is called ”Part Category Search” — this appears only when you have first *selected* the Part (you can do so with a [PART SELECT] button, or by tapping the “Type/Name” box in the screen for the Part you want to replace).... a pop-in menu appears, then touch [CATEGORY SEARCH] the top line of the screen always tells you where you are... “Part x - Category Search”

You now can replace the program in that slot.

Extra Credit:
When viewing the Search screens, sound programs will appear in either blue or green. Blue are instruments that require more than one Part slot. Green are instruments that occupy a single slot.

Use the “Bank/Favorite”, “Attribute” options to refine your search. When appropriate you may see an option for “Source” - allows you to copy any one Part from any existing Performance... if you like the drum Kit from another Performance and it is in Part 7, by setting the “Source” = Part 7 you could “get” just that drum Part and bring it into your creation.

Along the bottom during the “Part Category Search” you will see, “Parameter with Part”.
These are options. When you are going to replace a Part, do you want it to inherit your current settings or do you want it to come in as originally programmed.

This is very important. Say the bass Part that you are going to replace is already set to Note Limits C-2 thru B2
When you select a new bass you will probably want it to respect those Note Limits (split points), there for you would clear the “Parameter with Part” box for “Mixing”. It turns grey when you disable the option. (If you leave it green, the new selection will come in as programmed in its other location. The Mixing parameters include Volume, Pan, Note Limits, etc., etc.

You probably also want it to play the same Arpeggio Phrase, perhaps... if that is the case disengage the “Arp/MS” option (grey) this way it will continue to play the same Arp Phase as the other bass sound. If you leave it green, the bass will come in with whatever Arp Phrases were assigned in its previous Home.

When you complete your edits, make sure you press [STORE] and give it a new NAME.
This will write it to internal memory (User Bank).

Other possible causes:
__ please don’t be afraid to use specifics... like, which Performance? Describe what you are doing when you say “change an existing Part”. Are you connected via MIDI to anything at the time this occurs? For example, is Local Control On or Off?

Let us know.

Posted : 16/03/2021 3:27 pm
 Joe
Topic starter

Great Mr Bad. I will work with that information. Thank you.

Posted : 16/03/2021 10:52 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us