Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Pt 2- Transfer Data from Montage to Modx?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Drew
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Ok. I purchased the Modx!

I would like to transfer samples, User, Library data from my studio-based Montage to my Modx for road use.

Hoping someone can explain a way to expeditiously do so all at once or close to it.
I'm aware of the memory storage difference and both are v.2.5

I will be programming regularly on the Montage for use in the Modx.
Any detailed advice or reference would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance...

Posted : 16/05/2019 7:54 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Backup files are not supported - so do not use those for transfer. Do consider backing up Montage periodically for the sake of purely having a way to restore back to a snapshot in time, however.

On Montage, [UTILITY] "Contents" -> "Store / Save", insert a supported USB stick into the "TO DEVICE" port on the back of Montage, change the "Content Type" to "User File". Save/name this file something that makes sense to you. Adding the date as part of the name helps keep track of files since the files themselves will not have a valid date (Montage doesn't keep track of the date).

On MODX - load the user file [UTILITY] "Contents" -> "Load"

If you have libraries installed in Montage, you should have those original X7L files you used to install the libraries available and should load them in the same order in MODX as they are loaded into Montage. Order is presented when you look at the banks ( [CATEGORY SEARCH] ) and see which library is shown 1st, 2nd, ...

Posted : 17/05/2019 12:41 am
 Drew
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Once again l thank you!

Posted : 17/05/2019 3:38 am
Bad Mister

Ok. I purchased the Modx!

I would like to transfer samples, User, Library data from my studio-based Montage to my Modx for road use.

Hoping someone can explain a way to expeditiously do so all at once or close to it.
I'm aware of the memory storage difference and both are v.2.5

I will be programming regularly on the Montage for use in the Modx.
Any detailed advice or reference would be most appreciated.
Thank you in advance...

Once you have created Library Files and have installed them identically in each unit, synchronization will come down to the User File which will contain your most recent work.

The MONTAGE creates a .X7U File which can be used to transfer to the MODX any changes you make to your data. You will not have to redo your Libraries as much as you think. They become fixed structures exactly like the Factory Presets. So it is the very rare occasion when you are fiddling with Libraries. Only when you add to them or Delete them will you need to mess with the Library data.

Hint: When you create and ADD a new Library in your MONTAGE, take that same file and install it in your MODX.

The BACKUP Files are not compatible between a MONTAGE and a MODX, but all the individual data is... this is easy to understand because they differ in the amounts of memory.

Since the Library Data will be identical in both instruments, even if you create new Performances, new Live Sets, on the MONTAGE, when you load that User File to the MODX, everything will reference data properly.

Warning: This may be subject to change... subject to have minor differences as the synchronization of firmware version between the two products will always be a possibility. The MONTAGE is at it’s version 2.50 while the MODX is at its 1.10 (just FYI). The numbers mean something within the individual product line. The MONTAGE has the 512 Motif XF Performances added to ROM, so the MONTAGE has 2655 PresetPerformances, while the MODX has 2143.

If a new Insertion Effect Type appears in the MONTAGE and is not yet implemented in the MODX, is an example of the minor differences that may arise from time to time. Until the version features synchronize. And there may come a time that the MONTAGE has features that the MODX doesn’t.

Alternative Solutions
Since you want to do the “expeditiously” and close to all at once, you want to invest in the John Melas “MONTAGE Waveform Editor” (in fact, that and the TOTAL LIBRARIAN which works for MONTAGE and MODX). Anytime you need to make changes to your Library data, or you wish reconfigure your data, the suite of Melas Tools is well worth the investment.

Posted : 18/05/2019 1:53 am
 Adam

Does it work in the other direction? I noticed when I created a library with my MODX, it saved as an X8L file, which my Montage couldn't read. Is there a way to save an MODX library and install it on the Montage?

Posted : 09/10/2019 9:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Soundmondo - although that doesn't work well if using custom samples, curves, etc.

Posted : 09/10/2019 9:16 pm
Bad Mister

@Adam

Does it work in the other direction? I noticed when I created a library with my MODX, it saved as an X8L file, which my Montage couldn't read. Is there a way to save an MODX library and install it on the Montage?

Please see the following post:
MONTAGE setup to MODX

Posted : 10/10/2019 9:53 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us