Clear all

Quality of Montage converters?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
jayeson
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I own a Montage 8 and also a Metric Halo ULN8 audio interface.
The ULN8 claims to have archival quality conversion
And it does indeed sound "marvellous" when I record audio from Montage directly into its preamps.

When I initially heard Montage the samples knocked me out. They still do and come close to some of my large sample libraries.
There is a warmth I hear that seems to take some of the "digital edge" off.

I read that Montage uses the same conversion chips as the Steinberg UR interface
The reviews speak highly of UR interfaces.

Wondering how others users find the Montage conversion quality stacks up against other pro interfaces?

Here's a pic of my "man-cave"
The acoustic piano on the right is a Yamaha also.
The rack holds the ULN8 and also a Rupert Neve Portico II channel strip.

I've noticed that when I record the Montage through the RN Portico using Ruperts "silk" function things get fatter and smoother yet.
One reviewer of the the UR wondered if Yamaha had used any of Rupert's saturation (silk) to warm up the sound of the interface.
"Silk" by the way is a unique type of "saturation" or colour that was inherent in Rupert Neve consoles, and so-many engineers rave about.

Any comments on the Monty converter quality appreciated!

Posted : 16/12/2019 3:46 pm
Bad Mister

Nice!

UR-RT Series Audio Interfaces
For the masses... Steinberg w/Neve Transformers

Rupert’s “Silk” is used in the top-of-the-line Steinberg AXR4
New AXR4 Thunderbolt Interface

Posted : 16/12/2019 5:11 pm
jayeson
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Koolio!

Does Steinberg make an interface that uses the same chip that is in the Montage?

Curious to get a better idea of the quality range of the Montage conversion?

Thanks Mr "Bad"

Posted : 16/12/2019 6:54 pm
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

Hello,

You should take a look at this blog:

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/montage-hardware-platform/

This is written by a computer scientist and hardware engineer who explains the MONTAGE hardware. It's a great post...

Here is an excerpt from the blog:

"The separation of the digital and analog electronics and jacks is significant. When the Montage was first introduced, I mentioned that “Pure Analog Circuit (PAC)” appeared to be an exercise in engineering that pays careful attention to board layout, component selection and clean power. The AJK board bears this out. The AJK board contains the stereo DAC and ADC components:

Audio ADC: Asahi Kasei AK5381VT-E2 24-bit ADC (96KHz max)
Audio DAC assignable output: Asahi Kasei AK4393VM-E2 24-bit DAC (96KHz max)
Audio DAC main output and phones: Asahi Kasei AK4393VM-E2 24-bit DAC
The ADC and DACs communicate with the DM board over an audio backbone. Physical separation keeps digital circuits (with fast rise/fall times) away from analog signal paths. The AJK board also has its own voltage regulators. They ain’t kiddin’ about PAC!"

There are certainly similarities between Steinberg interfaces and MONTAGE, but each will be different because they have different uses. The main thing here is the attention to detail and quality to insure great sound.

Posted : 21/12/2019 12:39 am
jayeson
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the info!
When I first heard the Montage I immediately noticed there was some serious audio mojo happening from the audio outputs.
A clarity, depth and warmth I hadn't heard before on a hardware synth.

I felt Yamaha had seriously stepped up their game. After 3 years it still sounds marvellous to my ears.
I have been playing pro keyboards since 1969. 69 yrs old now. Nothing famous but thousands of gigs from the Caribbean to Japan.
I'm an old guy with a young heart, and teenage kids too!

I started with an "acetone organ" in school bands. That was the "king of the cheesiness" for sound.
I lugged around a CP80 electric grand in the 80's. Needed a van to move it because of its size.
But nothing could touch it for "the big balls" piano sound in those days. And the amazing action was worth the "big lug"
Prophet V's, Dx7's, Arps, Solinas, Motif's, M1's, S90's, etc etc.
They all lost their initial magic after a few years.

I can say quite assuredly that the Montage will be with me for quite some time.
It just sounds so damn good!
I tend to use my software strings, but they are massive gigs of data.

I've never gone this long without feeling the need to upgrade.
Thanks Yamaha!

Posted : 22/12/2019 5:28 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us