Question about FM Converter for Montage

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

I noticed there is a FM Converter online utility (now in BETA) in the header of this site.

It would be great to have access to the classic DX/TX sounds on my new Montage 7, especially that I no longer have a DX/TX now. I used to own a DX7 and TX802 over two decades ago. But after reviewing the pdf manual of the FM Convert utility, I'm under the impression that one needs to connect the actual DX/TX hardware synth to get the patches converted to Montage ! ? Is this the only way it works ? or is it possible to upload DX/TX sysex dumps of patches, and have the utility convert them to Montage versions ?

Any feedback/additional info. on where, or how Montage users can have access to DX/TX patches ? and will there be some classic FM DX/TX banks that we could download to enjoy playing on the Montage in the near future ?

Thanks.

Posted : 15/05/2016 1:05 am
Kiwi
 Kiwi

Tarek wrote:

Hi,

I noticed there is a FM Converter online utility (now in BETA) in the header of this site.

It would be great to have access to the classic DX/TX sounds on my new Montage 7, especially that I no longer have a DX/TX now. I used to own a DX7 and TX802 over two decades ago. But after reviewing the pdf manual of the FM Convert utility, I'm under the impression that one needs to connect the actual DX/TX hardware synth to get the patches converted to Montage ! ? Is this the only way it works ? or is it possible to upload DX/TX sysex dumps of patches, and have the utility convert them to Montage versions ?

Any feedback/additional info. on where, or how Montage users can have access to DX/TX patches ? and will there be some classic FM DX/TX banks that we could download to enjoy playing on the Montage in the near future ?

Thanks.

It does work.

There are some caveats .
1. The Drag-n-Drop only worked for me with Google Chrome.(As stated in the User Guide). I tried Firefox & Avant but they only wanted to open the .syx file when it was dropped on the left box.
2. DO NOT hit the 'GET' button after dragging a .syx file onto the left box because it WILL try to connect to a synth.
3. Instead, hit the Convert button at the bottom (after you have dropped the .syx file in the left box).
When you hit the Covert button, a .zip file will be downloaded to your computer with a name like 'YFMCexport_xxxxxxxxx.zip' to your computer. (The xxxxxxxxx is a number combination that changes with each new conversion that you do.) I've only tested this by dragging a single .syx file on to the utility. I'll try a multi-file selection next.
4. Once you extract the library file you'll have to rename it because all of the converted library files have the same name (Just the .zip file varies).

There is a User Manual for the tool. Did you click on the link for that?

Posted : 15/05/2016 2:19 am

You can download the 4 x original ROMS on the yamaha montage website. They're in .syx format.
There are also many websites on the internet where you can download DX7 patches.
Try Dave Benson's for starters - http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mth192/pages/html/dx7.html

Posted : 15/05/2016 6:15 am
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank You Very Much for the helpful feedback.

Posted : 15/05/2016 6:41 am
Eminent Member

It works by placing multiple files too!! Tested all 256 DX7 ROM sound (8 syx files, ROM1A, ROM1B,.....ROM4B) converted in one 256 Montage performance .X7l library.

Posted : 15/05/2016 9:42 am
Kiwi
 Kiwi

In addition, it will work on an iPad and allow you to fetch files from Google Drive (I didn't test iCloud) and do the conversion.
I haven't figured out how to route the new converted file back into Google Drive....yet.

Posted : 15/05/2016 12:52 pm
Kiwi
 Kiwi

I just tried to use the utility in Firefox and it worked!

Posted : 27/05/2016 12:49 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us