Clear all

Questions from a MOTIF user about MONTAGE

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

In MOTIF XF, hardware parameters are part of the VOICE, which I believe can be improved by separating the control surface board parameters from the VOICE and saving them in presets. If there are templates that can hold different settings for knob/slider etc assignments it would be MUCH easier to work with the unit and recall the parameters on the fly by selecting a preset.

-Is it the same in MONTAGE? Are the hardware parameters linked to performances? and is there a specific reason for it?

- How eXpanded Articulation works when it comes to multi-voice performance?
For example random or legato modes? how is montage taking care of it?

Thanks

Posted : 10/08/2016 11:22 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, I don't understand the questions.
What are "hardware parameters"?
What are "control surface board parameters"?
Nothing is ever saved in Presets, all user settings are stored in User locations

Posted : 11/08/2016 11:41 am
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

-Hi Phil, In MOTIF the hardware control parameters are stored with VOICE and we have up to 6 of them available for every VOICE. For example AfterTouch, PB, MW. What I'm saying is these control parameters can be separated from the VOICE and become global. Now imagine a scenario where I can save every snapshot of the what controls what in a preset and by calling a button control parameters are set to the recalled values... This is not possible in MOTIF. Is it possible in MONTAGE? Are control parameters part of a VOICE or they are globally usable? By control surface I mean the knobs and sliders and buttons motif. I can't program them the way I want in VOICE or PATTERN or SONG modes. Is this the same in MONTAGE?

-The last one is about how MONTAGE can take care of combining a performance consisting of multiple elements. If I set an element to random in two VOICEs how MONTAGE cycles between them?

Posted : 12/08/2016 5:12 am
Bad Mister

In MOTIF the hardware control parameters are stored with VOICE and we have up to 6 of them available for every VOICE.

You are talking about "Control Sets" where you assign a Source (physical controller) to a Destination (parameter). The equivalent to a Motif XF VOICE in Montage is a PART. In a Part there are 16 Source/Destination setups plus 16 more at the COMMON level. To fully understand the control matrix of the Montage you need to think a bit differently. In Motif XF you had 24 knob parameters that could be applied in realtime to the Voice. Three rows of eight knob parameters, two of these knobs were Assignable. In Montage you have 24 knob parameters that can be applied in realtime to the Part. Three rows of eight knob parameters, but you additional get 8 Assignable Knobs per Part, plus 8 more at the COMMON level.

The Control Matrix is so massive on the Montage, it's hard to compare. In Motif XF there were 101 possible Control Destinations, in Montage its 251. Add to this the "Motion Sequence" which basically allows you to create your own controller automation. Means, any parameter can set to change, as you design, automatically. The Part AssignKnobs can be used directly to control parameters deep within the architecture and, if you wish, linked to movement of the Super Knob, which also can be moved directly or automated with Motion Sequence.

What I'm saying is these control parameters can be separated from the VOICE and become global.

Sorry, either I'm not understanding what you are talking about here or you are not saying what you want to say. I don't understand this sentence

Now imagine a scenario where I can save every snapshot of the what controls what in a preset and by calling a button control parameters are set to the recalled values... This is not possible in MOTIF.

Again, I cannot make sense out of what you say. A snapshot of what is controlling what? Are you looking for programming shortcuts? Give an example... I mean this is your dream... What do you want to do?

My guess: Copying just controller assignments? For what purpose? Why not leave the control assignments in place and just change the Oscillator, doesn't that accomplish the same thing? Seems so simple, if you have a control setup that is Aftertouch to Coarse tuning, MW to Common LFO Pitch Mod, and PB Wheel to +6/-12 steps... Etc, and you want to copy this to another sound, wouldn't it be simpler to keep the control assignment and just change the Oscillator (change the Element's Waveform)??? So the Motif XF can do that.

Please explain better, sorry, if I'm not understanding your question, it must be me.

The last one is about how MONTAGE can take care of combining a performance consisting of multiple elements. If I set an element to random in two VOICEs how MONTAGE cycles between them?

If XA CONTROL is set to "random" an Element will be randomly sounded if there are other Elements in the same "Element Group". Frankly, it's random so I don't know what to tell you about the behavior, there is no pattern to it that I can hear. I think you want to know if set to "cycle" can it cycle through 64 Elements one by one, one after the other... No. Each PART has its own cycle within its local 8 Elements.

An Element Group (the parameter that links Element behaviors) works within a set of eight Elements. If you have all Elements of two AWM2 PARTs set to "XA CONTROL = cycle" and all are set Element Group 1, then each Part will cycle 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 ... It has no 'awareness' of the next Part, so no it does not cycle through one thru sixteen.

If you set the first four Elements of each Part to Group 1 and the second four to its Group 2, then each Part will play Group 1 (1-2-3-4) and simultaneously play Group 2 (5-6-7-8) same as in the XF. There are 8 Elements to a Part. The cycle is within the Part.

I believe (my guess) they didn't want to build a 64 Element Voice (all in one) because that would mean abandoning the Motif XF compatibility. Motif XF provides a very solid, proven sonic foundation for the AWM2 engine in Montage, it would not be good to throw away the basic sound library... It's far easier to deal with the engine in the current config (IMHO).

Posted : 12/08/2016 12:56 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us