Notifications
Clear all

Record Mic ? Input Over Music?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

So I figured out how to create performance tracks. I have mic in input, set gain and can here it clear. But it only records on audio mode in sequencer. How do i record voice over my piano performance?

Posted : 23/06/2019 5:02 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Are you talking about the Performance Recorder? Under Super Knob, there's a record button (left-most with an icon of a filled-in circle). When I press this, the Performance Recorder will show. It defaults to MIDI - so I touch the "Audio" tab to record audio. When I play on the keyboard or sing into a mic, the meter will respond. The meter will respond to (and hence, performance recorder will record/document) anything that is assigned to the Main L&R output. Anything assigned to something else - say Assign L&R - will not be recorded.

I did an experiment where I recalled "CFX Stage". The default output for this PART is Main L&R. I changed the output to Assign L&R. When I went to record audio, the meter did not register any sound when I played notes. Then I added "Concert Flute". I split the keyboard where middle C and up was flute and the B under middle C down was the piano. Since I didn't have assign L&R connected to any output - when I played the piano range I would not hear anything. Then I connected Assign L to A/D input L with a patch cable. Then turned on A/D Input and set the input gain. Now I could hear the piano since A/D input's output is routed to Main L&R (by default of the "CFX Stage" preset). And likewise, when I recorded audio I would hear both the Piano (which was really simulating vocals coming in through A/D input) and the flute.

Check that the output for anything you want recorded (audio) is set to Main L&R.

Posted : 23/06/2019 10:51 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Great thanks Jason, I’ll give this a try today.

Posted : 23/06/2019 6:35 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

To be clear - there is no need to connect a patch cable to Assign L&R or set any outputs to Assign L&R. I did that in order to provide a source for my A/D input - since I couldn’t find the right cable for my microphone and am really no singer - so recording my playing through the A/D in was part of the setup you do not have to replicate.

Mainly checking the A/D input’s output is set to Main L&R, I would gather, is the key here.

Posted : 23/06/2019 8:20 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I’m still having no luck, seems by default AD inputs and outputs are already set to M L/R and still mic works, board is registering voice but nothing but the music during playback. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Am I checking the wrong places perhaps?

Posted : 23/06/2019 8:45 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Well, you need to see the meter register your voice.

1) Place USB stick into "USB to Device" port in back of Montage - required for recording audio. Needs to be properly formatted (but not necessarily empty) with enough space to fit the audio recording.
2) Press record button under superknob as shortcut
3) Touch "Audio" tab to switch to recording audio
4) Press record button again so it glows red. Recording is now "armed".
5) Setup microphone on A/D input (meaning plug in mic, set A/D gain, turn on A/D input, etc). After setup, make sure meter registers voice when singing.
6) Press play to start recording. Do not play piano keys. Just record your voice
7) After recording, press stop button. Then play to playback what you just recorded. Are the vocals recorded? You should see the meter respond just as when it was recording - with saved vocal passages showing activity on the meter.

It's possible it's working and just the levels are not set correctly. So your piano/music is drowning out the vocals. Taking it as a separate step would help identify if, at least, you're generally getting vocals down. If the levels are not balanced - raise the mic gain or lower the rest of the tone generator PART volumes or look at your A/D input settings and ensure the gain type is set properly (Mic vs. Line).

Note - I double checked and took away my more complicated audio routing. Now I have a different keyboard's output routed to Montage's A/D Left input. When I play the other keyboard - I have a tine electric piano sound -- which is nothing I have set on Montage. On Montage, I'm playing the previous Performance with CFX Stage on the bottom and Flute on top (split) - but only play top notes. I'll play the external keyboard alone -- and when I playback the recording, I hear the electric piano fine. I also "answer" with some flute so it is playing on its own. I noticed the flute sound is much louder than the external keyboard's audio -- so some balancing would be in order to get this to sound best if they were to be played at the same time. I've got to set this up proper from the get-go since these sounds do not get "tracks" in the audio recorder. There's just one stereo pair. I can record one instrument entirely panned to one side and the other panned to the other -- but that's going to kill any stereo field from the original tone generator settings.

Posted : 24/06/2019 4:59 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us