Notifications
Clear all

Recording on Montage: it's not tracking damper/sustain pedal

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Joel
Topic starter

Howdy. For example-- When I record piano on the montage it's not tracking/registering the sustain/damper pedal movements.

So when I play back the song it's all without any damper pedal even though I used it in the performance I recorded.

Anyone know how to change this?

Thanks!

Posted : 21/05/2016 6:27 pm
Bad Mister

More details necessary.
What kind of sustain pedal?
To which recorder are you recording?
What sound are you attempting to sustain?

Any details would be helpful.

Posted : 22/05/2016 3:42 am
 Joel
Topic starter

Hello-- thanks. I'm just using the main concert grand piano sound and using the YAMAHA sustain pedal as recommended.

When I record a new song within the keyboard itself and use the damper pedal it just doesn't record the pedal action.

For example as I record a piano piece and am using the sustain pedal a bunch up and down-- it sounds great as I am playing it live and recording but then when I play it back it plays my performance with all staccato/non-pedaled notes. And to hear it like I played it and supposedly recorded it, I actually have to press the damper pedal as I listen back to my recording.

Thanks

Posted : 24/05/2016 6:20 pm
Bad Mister

Thanks Joel, do you know if you are using an FC3A or FC4A?
Do you know what Sustain Pedal mode you are using?
Go to [UTILITY] > "General" > "Sound" > see Sustain Pedal - set it to match you model pedal.

The fact that you hear yourself playing with sustain, and do not hear it on playback is strange. We should mention that that only means something IF the sustain pedal ON event is documented being engaged. In other words, it is possible to be sustaining a chord before the count-in to record takes place. If the recorder does not 'witness' the pedal being engaged it will not playback with sustain initially. The cc064 = 127 was not documented in the track, therefore even though you heard the piano sound sustaining in your speakers, because the event occurred before the recorder began documenting, playback will be initially without sustain.

Likewise at the end of your recording it is very important to lift off the pedal so that this event is also documented in the track data.

Other less technical things include physically checking the connection between the pedal jack and the keyboard.

Posted : 24/05/2016 7:00 pm

Phil, the guy was using the pedal

a bunch up and down

It therefore should work. Apparently the Montage did not undergo an acceptance test before delivery. Incredibly embarrassing for the Yamaha Corporation IMHO.

Posted : 24/05/2016 7:10 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us