Clear all

"Sample memory full." - Managing User Memory/Storage

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I was playing with 'Library Import' vs 'Save/Store', and was surprised to see the error pop up on the screen: "Sample memory full. (Close EXIT)"!

I only have 2 Libraries loaded (900MB):
- Bosendorfer
- Olszak Pack

I only have 2 performances 'Library Imported' to the User area (two different Bosendorfer pianos, each separately imported one at a time...took almost 5 minutes each), and a 3rd performance 'Saved/Stored' to the User area (another Bosendorfer piano...took less than a second). I then tried to 'Library Import' a 3rd Bosendorfer piano Performance and that's when I got the "Sample memory full" error.

I navigated to the WAVEFORM folder:
[UTILITY] > "Contents" > "Data Utiliy" > touched the "Waveform" folder; and the Sample Memory used was 1.66GB out of 1.8GB

Under Waveforms, I only have 2 pages of Bozy samples..!? Something doesn't add up!

I am getting the feeling that using 'Library Import' for a single piano, and then using it again for another piano, and then again for another piano; that I basically importing (copying) duplicate waveforms for each of the pianos, even if the pianos have the mostly the same waveforms (& even though they are all importing to the User area from the same Bosendorfer library)..!?

If the libraries are using 900MB and I only 'Library Imported' from the Bosendorfer library, the 2 user area Performances that were 'Library Imported' are using approximately 700GB of samples, which is more space used than what the entire Bosendofer library uses..!

I thought the best & proper way to promote content to the User area was via 'Library Import', and I thought that I could do one Performance at a time, but am I correct in saying that 'Library Import' is best when importing all the Performances at once (the keepers) to the User area?

For clarification on 'Library Import' vs "Save/Store', and how waveforms are saved when saving the User area to a .X7U file:
If I 'Library Import' the Imperial Grand to the User area (which takes a copy of the samples with it), then I do a 'Save/Store' of the same Imperial Grand (renamed), and then Save the User area to a .X7U file, then I wipe the User area and Load that .X7U file back to the User area, does it have duplicate samples of the Imperial Grand since I used two different methods to create two new Imperial Grand performances?

Or does the 'Save/Store' Imperial Grand that I loaded back to the User area, still point back to the Bosendorfer Library, such that if I had deleted the Bosendorfer Library, then that User file .X7U would not contain the waveforms..!?

If I want to keep everything in the User area without duplication of waveforms, am I better off to 'Library Import' all the Performances I want from a Library to the User area (rename them all), then from those newly imported Performances, make changes and save as new performances, then delete the Library to free up space?

Posted : 19/03/2019 3:39 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Assuming the Performance is using custom waveforms (not factory presets) - then if you [STORE] a Library Performance with such Waveforms (samples) - this operation will not copy the samples and will instead point back to the library area. Even if you previously imported the Waveforms from a different operation. The instrument isn't going to hunt down to try to figure out what's been done in the past.

If you're having overflows with import - then this applies to the import operation as well. If you have more than one Performance to import from a Library at once - do not split this over multiple imports. Do it all at once during a single import operation. Pick multiple Performances from the Library to import in a single operation. The Library Import feature allows for selecting multiple Performances at once.

A basic assumption in the operation of the file system should be that it's clumsy. It's generally not going to be an elegant process. The paradigm that modern computers have set up for you, in terms of expectations, is generally too advanced for the way this filesystem is going to operate.

I believe that once you learn where the lines are - and manage to paint within them - the experience will not be "all that bad". It's just there's a specific set of rules to learn - a certain number of walls to bump into.

One of the largest areas for growth for the Yamaha synth line is this area of operation. I would hope that the engineers would somehow prioritize steering the ship closer to mainstream file system operation. This would, if they get it right, positively impact how much fiddling the user would have to do to manipulate their data under all conditions as well as provide meaningful feedback along the way such that hardly any "service calls" have to be made for something which should strive to be transparent/elegant.

Posted : 19/03/2019 4:32 am
Darryl
Prominent Member
Topic starter

Assuming the Performance is using custom waveforms (not factory presets) - then if you [STORE] a Library Performance with such Waveforms (samples) - this operation will not copy the samples and will instead point back to the library area.

Pick multiple Performances from the Library to import in a single operation. The Library Import feature allows for selecting multiple Performances at once.

I believe that once you learn where the lines are - and manage to paint within them - the experience will not be "all that bad". It's just there's a specific set of rules to learn - a certain number of walls to bump into.

Ok thanks, I think I got it. For Performances (& waveforms) of non-Preset loaded Libraries that have custom waveforms:
- Add library
- Library Import the keepers 'all at once' to User area (Rename the Performances)
- Make 'all' modifications and Save/Store from the User area Performances (for the Library Imported Performances)

Any Performances that are from 'Presets' I don't need to be concerned about...just Save/Store as a a new name!

Save User area backups as .X7U file

The issue I can see is that I was planning to purchase a few piano libraries like (Synthogy American Grand) and possibly a Epic Grand (if Yamaha doesn't provide the C7 in the next big software update), plus I have a lot of libraries with custom samples, although no pianos that I would be interested in & I'll only Library Import the sounds I really want, then delete those libraries.

Purchasing Piano Libraries could be my biggest downfall...

Posted : 19/03/2019 7:02 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Sounds about right. I'd save X7U and X7L in pairs if I ever wanted to load what I have now in the user area as a Library slot in the future. And if I only want to load the user area in a Library slot - I'd still save an X7U just so I can, in the future, start with the X7U to a save a step of first loading the library, then importing to user - if I ever wanted to add more content or modify the contents of the associated X7L.

Posted : 19/03/2019 7:11 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us