Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Sample trigger mode for AWM2 / WAV while playing legato?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Is there a kind of legato mode while playing the wav (sample) file in monophonic mode without retriggering the sample when the key is changed?

Siggi

Posted : 03/07/2016 2:02 pm
Bad Mister

Yes. There is. XA CONTROL (see page 94 Reference Manual)

Posted : 04/07/2016 1:18 pm
Topic starter

Maybe i don´t make it clear: Let me say, if i have a sample 10sec long and i play e.g. c3 so the sample start to play from the beginning. Now after 5sec a play in legato style and in mono mode e.g. g3. So i would like to have the same sample don´t start to play again from the beginning. I like to have the sample goes on to play the second half of the 10sec sample.

This brings me to the next question: Is there a special setting that the FEG is not triggered with every key i play in mono mode like i have with many analog synthesizer when i play legato? The FEG should start only from the beginning when i don´t play legato (e.g. Minimoog). When i play legato, the FEG starts with the first note and follows the other notes without retriggering the FEG from the beginning.

Posted : 04/07/2016 8:25 pm
Bad Mister

Maybe i don´t make it clear: Let me say, if i have a sample 10sec long and i play e.g. c3 so the sample start to play from the beginning. Now after 5sec a play in legato style and in mono mode e.g. g3. So i would like to have the same sample don´t start to play again from the beginning. I like to have the sample goes on to play the second half of the 10sec sample.

No, that's not exactly how the AWM2 engine works here. The legato performing gesture can be used to trigger a similar waveform, sans the attack portion. It is not later in the "same sample", it is the same instrument stored in a separate sampled Element, this data usually has the code "Of" in the Waveform name to denote it is the instrument sample offset so that it does not have the attack portion of the instrument sound. You may also see guitar sounds listed as "hammer on" as this is the usual role of a guitar sample without the picked attack.

A great example, recall the "BluesyClean Legato" Performance.
In this single Part Performance, Element 3 is the "legato" Element. You can hear its influence by playing a trill on this sound both with and without this legato Element. Here's how:
Press [EDIT]
Press [PART SELECT 1/1] to view Part parameters
On the right front panel the bottom row of 8 are the Element Mutes 1-8, the 8 buttons above them are Element Select (shows in the screen).
Select Element 3
"Osc/Tune" shows this is "Clean Hammer On"
XA CONTROL = Legato

Mute Element 3 by turning off the third light on the bottom row. As you trill, hold one note while triggering and releasing another.
You can hear and feel how the Legato mono behavior works to eliminate the picked pluck of the string.

Recall "Flute Legato". Here Elements 1,3,5, and 7 are normal, Elements 2, 4, 6, and 8 are Legato Offset ("Of" ) waveforms so that the breathy attack is not present, when a legato gesture is performed on the keyboard the appropriate soft, medium or hard strike Offset waveform takes over. (Elements 7 and 8 are flute pad noise).

Again play a trill with and without Elements 2, 4, 6 and 8 to hear and feel the legato gesture..

Try an experiment with any Part with "legato" in the name and discover the Legato Element.
"Blown Bone Legato" big blat on attacked note-on, and none when played legato (the offset wave does not attack).
"Kick Bass Legato" synth bass, element 4, 5, and 6 are Legato

This brings me to the next question: Is there a special setting that the FEG is not triggered with every key i play in mono mode like i have with many analog synthesizer when i play legato? The FEG should start only from the beginning when i don´t play legato (e.g. Minimoog). When i play legato, the FEG starts with the first note and follows the other notes without retriggering the FEG from the beginning.

Yes, actually there is...

I remember I had my MiniMoog D modified so it wouldn't do that. Funny, that was a "non-feature" back in the day... So I remember putting my precious MiniMoogD in the shop to get the upgrade that allowed it to trigger the filter EG with each note-on, so I could stop it from doing that very thing where it died out during legato play.

Well, it no longer to takes a modification to reverse this and make a modern synth behave like that, where the FEG is not retriggered with every key-on... This can be done using the Montage's PART LFO set as "Loop" = Off (so that it plays the LFO pattern as a one-shot). You can program your own "EG" and apply it to the Filter Cutoff. Actually there are three destinations.

This was possible on Motif-series, MO-series, etc. as well. The COMMON LFO, now referred to as the "PART LFO" can be set so you can create your own sixteen step USER LFO (envelope), instead of just using it to repeat (typical use of LFOs) it can be set to play just once and set to happen only "1st KeyOn", instead of "Each KeyOn". Below you can see the PART LFO screen - and that you can set the LFO WAVE= USER, then take the shortcut box "Edit User LFO" to create your 16 step envelope.

By applying this to the Filter Cutoff you can have a programmable FEG set to only retrigger when you lift your finger and reattack a key, if you play legato it plays and follows just that envelope and dies away as the EG reaches it end. The amount of FEG applied can be set per Element, and the phase can be offset.

Posted : 06/07/2016 9:24 pm
Topic starter

Thanks BM for the detailed explanation about AWM2 about the legato feature, also it´ s great to hear that my my FEG feature wish can be realized with Montage. Fantastic forum here 🙂

best, Siggi

Posted : 07/07/2016 3:45 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us