Clear all

SCM Piano in CP4 vs Montage Pianos

24 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
12.5 K Views
david
Reputable Member

BM. Thanks. I forgot to ask this question concerning my CP1. Does it have after-touch? I couldn't find that info anywhere so I assumed that it does not. I've pre-ordered the Montage 8 but if my CP1 had after-touch I'd probably just add the Montage 6. Nothing feels as good as the CP1 wooden keys. I guess the followup question is how many performance parts, in general (rough percentage), are actually affected by after-touch and is it a great feature to utilize in a true synthesizer? I'm assuming that it's not worth losing the AT when using the CP1 to play the Montage.

Posted : 11/02/2016 5:20 pm
Bad Mister

No, the CP1 does not have Aftertouch.

As to implementation in Montage, I cannot give you even a rough percentage of the Performance Parts use it. But it is one of the available physical control sources for use in the motion control engine.

The way to begin thinking about your available source controls is 'how' they are applied, and 'what' intuitively they can be applied to to give the most musical result... Aftertouch sends 1-127 when increasing pressure is applied, and is an intuitive way to apply volume swells, vibrato, tremolo, pitch change 1 direction and back, etc., but would be a poor controller for pan, or any bi-directional destination etc., (perhaps).

Aftertouch is a great way to apply timbre change within a sound, and with all the potential destinations available, customizing your experience with a sound is about assigning and adjusting things to your touch, how far you'd like to move a control to get the response you desire. For example, at first you may not even notice that the timbre in a program was because Operators 5 and 7's output level is under control of AT within an FM-X Part. It's just very comforting to know you have Aftertouch as one of the controls within a synth engine, because it's all about interaction with the resulting musical results (Not so much for piano sounds, but for wind and bowed instrument articulations/gestures, or in any sustaining tone, it is invaluable! IMHO).

Posted : 11/02/2016 6:25 pm
david
Reputable Member

That hurts but I figured. It's going to look odd with my Montage 8 stacked with the CP1. I need the Montage on the bottom for control access. I have no space to go side-by-side. I remember not liking the Motif XS keys all that much especially compared to the CP1 woody action. Every time I think about selling the CP1 those woody keys keep calling me back to reality. I'll post a photo with the CP1 on top. In the words of Clark W. Griswold; "this is crazy, this is crazy, this is crazy!"

Posted : 11/02/2016 11:25 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I have the Z stand shown in the attached pdf (never attached a file here before, hope it works). Same as David, I would want to primarily play the keyboard of the CP4 but at the same time access all the functions of the Montage. Therefore, the CP4 keyboard needs to be at its usual playing height on the bottom stand, but accessing its sliders and buttons is not something I would need to do on the fly if I was focusing on the Montage. Solution is to use the Z Stand, Assuming the Montage will weigh the same or less than the XF8, place the CP on the bottom stand, steeply angle the upper stand attachment as far as possible vertically so that what rests on it can be played and accessed head on and let it extend over the upper portion of the CP on the bottom up to the top of the CP keyboard. Should work. Will see.

Posted : 13/02/2016 4:46 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I have the Z stand shown in the attached pdf (never attached a file here before, hope it works). Same as David, I would want to primarily play the keyboard of the CP4 but at the same time access all the functions of the Montage. Therefore, the CP4 keyboard needs to be at its usual playing height on the bottom stand, but accessing its sliders and buttons is not something I would need to do on the fly if I was focusing on the Montage. Solution is to use the Z Stand, Assuming the Montage will weigh the same or less than the XF8, place the CP on the bottom stand, steeply angle the upper stand attachment as far as possible vertically so that what rests on it can be played and accessed head on and let it extend over the upper portion of the CP on the bottom up to the top of the CP keyboard. Should work. Will see.

Attached files

Posted : 13/02/2016 4:47 pm
david
Reputable Member

Earle,

I have 3 of these stands. Have and extra if you need one. I had to drill new holes in the upper receiver so that I could raise it higher and then angle it down like you are saying. I might have to put the Montage 8 on top as well. I hope it doesn't slide off at a steep angle. I won't need a lot of access on the CP1 surface.

Posted : 13/02/2016 10:10 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

David,

Thank you for the offer and customization tip. I wanted extra height for the upper risers but did not consider drilling additional holes. The extent of my alterations was to add additional padding to the stops on the upper tier arms. Actually was necessary for keyboards with a recessed front under carriage so that the bottom of the upper keyboard was not damages by leaning against the top of the metal stops.

Since I only have one keyboard at this time, the CP4, and probably will never have more than 2, I do not need another stand, but really appreciate you kind offer.

Have a great holiday weekend.

Posted : 14/02/2016 12:28 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

David, I posted a response about 2 hours ago and received a message that is was successfully posted, but it is not here. So if it shows up I will be repeating myself. Here is basically what I said then and am repeating now.

Thank you for your offer and customization tip. I also wanted to raise the height of the upper tier stand, but did not consider drilling additional holes. Great idea. Thank you. Regarding your offer, since I already have the stand and attachments and will not have more than 2 keyboards, I do not need an additional stand, but I appreciate your offer. Sounds like we are on the same page. When you get delivery of the Montage please post back how the stand set up works. Mine is on the "to be purchased" list right after some other big ticket items.

Thanks again.

Posted : 14/02/2016 3:48 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Once again, received message: Your reply is posted successfully. I have sent 2 replies but they are not here. Must be a problem with the site.

Posted : 14/02/2016 3:50 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us