Clear all

Set key range by keyboard seems "flawed"

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Normal use of setting a key range on Montage seems fine. If the bottom note of a range is lower than the top note - using the keyboard to set the range works fine.

I recently learned of the feature where one could split the key range of the keyboard into two sections with a "hole" in the middle. The "hole" is defined when you you set the lower limit of a note range as a higher value than the upper note range. This will place assigned keys on either end of the keyboard with unassigned keys in the middle.

Even though setting the lower range as a higher key value than the upper range is a perfectly valid configuration (a feature) - setting the range this way by using the keyboard is not allowed. This artificially "masks" (conceals) the fact that this is a valid configuration.

I would prefer the system allow using assigning the note range by keyboard for all valid ranges including ones where the lower range has a higher note value than the upper part of the range.

This is not a screaming bug without a workaround. Just one of those nuisances not often run into and therefore a relatively low priority (for me).

This is more of a "heads up" than a call to aggressive change.

Posted : 04/10/2018 3:30 pm
Bad Mister

Normal use of setting a key range on Montage seems fine. If the bottom note of a range is lower than the top note - using the keyboard to set the range works fine.

I recently learned of the feature where one could split the key range of the keyboard into two sections with a "hole" in the middle. The "hole" is defined when you you set the lower limit of a note range as a higher value than the upper note range. This will place assigned keys on either end of the keyboard with unassigned keys in the middle.

Even though setting the lower range as a higher key value than the upper range is a perfectly valid configuration (a feature) - setting the range this way by using the keyboard is not allowed. This artificially "masks" (conceals) the fact that this is a valid configuration.

I would prefer the system allow using assigning the note range by keyboard for all valid ranges including ones where the lower range has a higher note value than the upper part of the range.

This is not a screaming bug without a workaround. Just one of those nuisances not often run into and therefore a relatively low priority (for me).

This is more of a "heads up" than a call to aggressive change.

I don’t find your finding to be true. I’ve known about the “no fly” zone, it’s been apart of the Yamaha engine for decades. It can be set on MONTAGE by touching the Low Key RANGE box > the “Keyboard” pop-in appears; activate it (green) by touching it; you can then press the Key you wish as the Low Key (anywhere on the Keyboard).

Touch the High Key RANGE box > press the Key you wish for the High Key (anywhere on the Keyboard)
Touch the green “Keyboard” box to deactivate the data entry function or press [EXIT] to put it away.

Are you running the latest firmware?
Did you forget to Touch the High Key RANGE box?

Posted : 04/10/2018 5:37 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Are you running the latest firmware?
Did you forget to Touch the High Key RANGE box?

No (this is fair and could be a difference - v2.0 vs v2.5) I can upgrade to the latest and retest.
No - pressing key range from the [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) screen. And then the button to use keyboard keys (touchscreen also). Next time I have the keyboard setup in here I'll go through this more methodically. This is also a great point as I may simply have the "butter finger" effect. Although I thought I had tried keyboard first then spun the dial while still selected to dial-in the value. Going by memory - so I'll reign this in the next update. Thanks for checking.

Posted : 04/10/2018 7:57 pm
Stefan

I can confirm that this works for me just as @jason would like to see it working.

Posted : 05/10/2018 7:37 am
Bad Mister

The “no-fly” Zone, “hole in the middle” Note Limit feature has a very long history in Yamaha Keyboards. It is a very mature feature, dating back, as I said several decades. Way back into the previous Century! SY77 even had this feature with Kbd data entry and everything... 1989....I’m pretty sure it worked right, right out of the gate on MONTAGE.

It was implemented back when Drum Kit maps were first introduced to the Synthesizer. To increase the usefulness of Drum Patterns you could eliminate or isolate particular regions using the flexible High and Low Note Limits. Say you liked a drum groove but wanted to remove the Latin Percussion... you could create that “no-fly” zone by eliminating the region from C3 to C4... set the Low Note Limit = C#4, and the High Note Limit = B2

Don’t let this hurt your head but the “no-fly” zone feature also works for Velocity Range... you can set the Low higher than High creating that hole in the middle with Velocity... useful in velocity switching sounds... goes way, way back.... glad it’s been (re)discovered!

Posted : 05/10/2018 8:05 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us