Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Should the Edit-Common Audio>General>Volume parameter be saving with each Performance?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I thought I was going crazy because I was having such a hard time normalizing the volumes between my Performances, but I've just realized that for some reason the volume I set in Edit Common Audio is not saving when I overwrite a performance, it just goes back to whatever it was before. Am I missing something? Does anyone else see this happening?

Thanks,
G

Posted : 31/08/2016 10:14 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Maybe because you're editing a preset which is ROM and changes can only be made to user data.

Edit:

After posting, I read a blog post which states the same thing about presets (if this matches what you're trying to do):

"There are 1920 Preset Performances in the Montage. These are in permanent Read Only Memory. You will never lose these and they will be in your Montage always. It would take a major factory version update to rewrite the ROM area."

Source: https://www.yamahasynth.com/blog/user-and-library

... if this is indeed the case, then the blog continues to say:

"Any of the 1920 Preset Performances can be edited, but when you go to *store* the data, your edited Performance will be written to the User area of the Montage. It is very important that you rename your newly edited creation so that you can distinguish it from the original. Finding exactly where data "goes" in the Montage is all about Category Search. It will be your friend, if you give things unique names (even if you only add your initials) this will make it easier to find when you search."

Perhaps at this point it would be best to read the original article.

Posted : 01/09/2016 12:38 am
 Phil
Eminent Member

Jason I don't think this can be the reason. By default there are no User performances, you can only create a user performance by editing a preset or by creating a performance from scratch. If you make any changes to a preset and then try and save the only option you will be given is to save as a new performance - in this way the original factory performances will always be "intact". Gary mentions overwriting performances - you only have this option after a performance has been saved in the user area. What he doesn't mention is how he has named the new performances. A possibility could be if he has stored the new performance with the same name as the preset that when he goes back to look at it he is actually looking at the original preset and not his new performance. I think that's why the article mentions giving user performances discrete names so they can easily be distinguished. Remember also in category search you can "filter" it so that only User performances are shown to choose from by changing the Bank from All to User.

Posted : 01/09/2016 6:10 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

Each Live Set position stores a Volume. When you tap a place, the Performance in it is set to that Volume, overriding its internally stored Volume. I ran into this, and it drove me crazy for a few hours until someone around here helped me out.

Posted : 01/09/2016 7:20 am
 Phil
Eminent Member

Yes that's true to a point but only if you have altered it. A performance can only appear in a live set slot if you register it there and by default it will have the same volume as the performance. If however you edit the live set slot and change its value that is then the volume that appears in the performance itself.

If you change the volume of a live set slot and then go directly to the performance itself it will indeed show the new volume that you have set - however if you navigate away from the performance and then back to it it will have reverted to the volume that you stored with the performance.

Posted : 01/09/2016 7:39 am
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey guys, thanks for the info.

I have a feeling Michael is correct, it would certainly explain this odd behavior. While I did save the user Performance to a Live slot,- I did not manually set a volume for the Live slot. perhaps it takes the volume of the Performance assigned to it initially?? If so, that is VERY cumbersome and should be mentioned in the manual SOMEwhere. I'll take a look at it in the morning. While I have you here though, - how/where is it that I can edit/change/set the assigned Live Slot volume?

Thanks again,
G

Posted : 01/09/2016 11:25 am
 Phil
Eminent Member

To change the volume of a live set slot press the edit button and there will be an option on screen to assign a volume to it. By default this will be the volume that you stored with the performance that is registered to that slot. You will also see there options for copy and swap - one purpose for this would be to have the same performance registered to different live set slots and having differing volumes for each without having to store a new performance with the required volumes.

Live sets are really only a means of organising your already stored user performances into an easily accessible order (you're not actually saving it there) so it makes sense that it would have the volume of the registered performance.

Posted : 01/09/2016 11:44 am
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks again for the info Phil. I understand how the Live set slots work. I agree that it makes sense they would take on the volume of the Performance assigned to it; however, it should then also take on the new volume of a newly assigned Performance as well. Granted, I didn't replace the Peformance I updated it, so I guess I'll have to get in the habit of re-assigning an edited Performance to its Live set slot. About to go play with it...

Cheers,
G

Posted : 01/09/2016 5:29 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

Here's the thread I talked about in my earlier post. To my knowledge, what happens is that when you add a Performance to a Live Set, the Live Set picks up the Performance's internal volume at that point. From then on, anytime you choose that Performance from the Live Set, its volume is set as specified in the Live Set.

Posted : 01/09/2016 10:46 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us