Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

what are parameter .....1 to 24 in the control list ?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
natalini
Estimable Member
Topic starter

For example; inserA parameter 1 to 24. What are these parameter ? What is the difference between 1 to 24 ? Same for var parameter or mix.... Thanks.

Posted : 01/09/2016 8:32 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I think the effect parameter list in "montage_en_dl_v110_b0.pdf" (document for later firmware) shows the parameter definitions and value ranges for the parameters 1-24 (see page 142 - Effects Parameter List). Most effects use 16 parameters. Vocoder (pg 152) uses all 24 and beat repeat (pg 151) uses 21. This may not describe all combinations and within the list, some positions are reserved.

The parameter is a block of memory where each position (1-24) changes meaning depending on the effect which is active.

Pg 143 shows the Variation types and associated parameters.

Mix [sic] is mfx or short for Master Effect. Pg 152 (the bit after "EQ Block") shows the Master Effect block which really just lists the subset of effects which apply to Master Effects (mfx) so you'll look back at the same list for InsA/B with some missing options.

Incidentally, I was wondering too when I was fiddling around with the Montage at the local music shop and trying to figure out how to do a "simple" motion control (roll my own). It'd be great if instead of parameter 1-24, the list would assume the inherited meaning according to the effect setting. The lack of "personality" (instead of bill, sue, and zebra we get 1, 2, and 3) had me previously scratching my head. But I'm not against using the manual since this level of setup is done off the bandstand in my workflow. It's a departure from my previous gear - but something which is acceptable. Also a fair compromise in GUI clutter vs. idiot proofing.

Posted : 01/09/2016 9:01 am
Bad Mister

You don't have to look them up in the manual, the interface is dynamic!

If all 24 parameters in Control Assign Destination are empty, it is because an Insertion Effect has not yet been assigned to that Part. When an Insert Effect is assigned, the exact available parameters that can be controlled will automatically appear in their appropriate slot.

Only certain Insert Effect parameters can be real time controlled (like any effect there are those that make musical sense to control in real time, and there are those that make what is considered non-musical results which remain unavailable) when unavailable no identifying parameter appears. What is "non-musical" is determined by the designers (not the user). If a parameter results in zipper noise or a phase issue (the bad kind) it's simply not available.. For example, say you assign the Rotary Speaker Effect to a Part, the SPEED CONTROL will appear as a controllable parameter, the virtual MIC ANGLE is not. Logically, a musician would control the Speed of the Leslie, NOT the angle of the stereo microphone documenting the movement. You do not adjust microphone position in real time - the mic angle is "set and forget". So Speed Control appears as an assignable parameter, while Mic Angle does not.

If you activate the Rotary Speaker for INSERT EFFECT A, you will see "InsA Spd Ctrl"
But the unavailable "Mic L-R" parameter 15 is not shown as a selectable Destination.

Typically, effects have a maximum of 16 parameters (although most have less). The Vocoder has a maximum of 24.

The Data List booklet can help you see an overview of parameters per effect, but the product will automatically reveal those Parameter Names that are assignable to control via the control matrix as soon as you assign the Insert Effect to the Part.

The Synthesizer Parameter Manual can also help with translating all the abbreviations, for those who little or no experience with Effect parameters.

Posted : 01/09/2016 10:47 am
natalini
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Fine. Thanks very much for answering.

Posted : 01/09/2016 2:25 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us