Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Solved? or not solved? don´t know: once again, can´t move the knobs while recording in Cubase, or can´t play back automation and so on.

60 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

What do you have your Super Knob CC set to? CC = 5? Really, Why?

I did not set my superknob to CC5. my control number screen looks exactly like the one you posted. Superknob is 95.

let´s always rememeber that everything works fine in Cubase Elements 10 but not in 11, with the exact same settings on the Montage. I have never changed any control number settings. never.

UPDATE: I actually now believe this update didn´t install right. I just realized my harddrive is completely full. I only have 18 GB of space left. this cannot work out. I have to do something....

Posted : 02/09/2021 9:08 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

BM,

The CC labels for automation are truncated. Cubase's standard names are used and "ff5" is the tail end of "eff5" or, in longer form:

MIDI CC 95 | Effect 5 Depth | 0-127

CC 95 is indeed the standard CC for superknob. In order to reveal the CC#s in Cubase, one has to hover over the CC name which should reveal the CC by number. Still, there's enough contextual information on the screenshots given to avoid any ambiguity even without the tooltip information.

No need to conflate. Gabi is showing useful information consistent with the summary.

Posted : 02/09/2021 10:57 pm
Bad Mister

It’s difficult to be a combination Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Lt. Colombo, and Monk trying to figure what someone is missing.

I’ll repeat again, in hopes if we work from the other direction, we may find what’s happening.

How to Freeze your Knobs when working with a DAW
To freeze your MONTAGE Knobs is easy, all you have to do is turn LOCAL CONTROL = Off… try it! Knobs are frozen, Keyboard doesn’t work…

Local Control = Off which is done by selecting “Arp Rec on DAW”
The messages travel from the Keyboard —> Arpeggiator —> MIDI Out —> Cubase MIDI Track

Unless the MIDI Track is armed (Record Ready red) the data will not reach the Track.
When the Record Ready button in Cubase is red, the Knob turns, whether CC or Sysex, should make the MIDI activity meter move in Cubase… indicating MIDI messages are arriving and can be recorded.

If, additionally, the MIDI OUT is set to properly return to the MONTAGE (Port 1) and the Channel of origin, the Knob will unfreeze, and the MODX will sound!

Cubase MIDI Track —> MODX MIDI IN —> Tone Generator.

It is that simple… and that complex.
Last mentioned it was a Single Part Performance, with no Arpeggio, and the “Quick Setup” for Arp Rec is being used, correct?

Posted : 03/09/2021 3:44 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

Gabi,

Since it works OK for you in Cubase 10, the problem may not be in the system settings of your Montage.

Do you have Montage Connect installed? If so, you can save your Performance to your computer as an X7B File. Place that X7B in your Cubase 11 project folder. Then compress your Cubase 11 project folder into a ZIP file. Then upload that ZIP file here as an attachment to a post.

If you do that, someone will be able to look at your setup and maybe figure something out.

Posted : 03/09/2021 5:24 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Then upload that ZIP file here as an attachment to a post.

If you do that, someone will be able to look at your setup and maybe figure something out.

great idea, here it is

Attached files

cubase elements 11 frozen knobs.zip (67.9 KB) 

Posted : 03/09/2021 7:35 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

holy moly, I cannot believe that after weeks of dealing with this I finally found the problem.

it was the cubase elements 11 track quick controls that were set to Montage 1 in and out, as well as the VST quick controls.... By default, I suppose, because I had never set this up. I have not ever used the Montage as a VST controller yet. Now I know where to look if I want to ever do that....

so...what is the difference between TRACK quick controls and VST quick controls?....

anyway, by setting both of those to NO in and ouput, the knobs suddenly unfroze. wow. unreal.

Attached files

Posted : 03/09/2021 8:18 am
Member Admin

holy moly, I cannot believe that after weeks of dealing with this I finally found the problem.

anyway, by setting both of those to NO in and ouput, the knobs suddenly unfroze. wow. unreal.

Here's to you, and the armagnac i raise, in salute, then quaff!

Posted : 03/09/2021 8:51 am
Reputable Member

It looks like a very basic thing for three pages and 526765 words...
Anyway, just naming Lt. Colombo and the one to blame was discovered right away.

Posted : 03/09/2021 10:32 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

It looks like a very basic thing for three pages and 526765 words...
Anyway, just naming Lt. Colombo and the one to blame was discovered right away.

goes to show that some settings that one doesn´t even know about and has never looked at can mess everything up real bad.

Posted : 03/09/2021 7:19 pm
Reputable Member

And also that many, most of us, use hardware and software that have been developed along many years adding this and that and then again, and their capabilities are so staggering that turn out to be well beyond the simple needs of the user.

I know many airline pilots that first flew the very advanced Airbus A320s, introduced in the early 90s, yelling "but what is it doing know?" after the flight envelope suddenly departed what was supposed to have gone pretty well otherwise on the basis of their inputs to the airborne computers !!!! But most paper readers just know about the crashes and the casualties...

Posted : 03/09/2021 7:47 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

you know what: I still can´t do it. I still cannot properly record automation with multipart performances. It just doesn´t play back. As you can see here, I have recorded automation in Cubase elements 11. We can see the curves that have been recorded. But I find absolutely no way to have the Montage play this back. Setting the automation tracks to the midi channel of the part has no effect. (an yes, I did select the part that needed the automation on the Montage)

Not even the Superknob plays back. Not even that. And no, sysex is not filtered out. I tried to reread this thread but I just can´t understand 3/4 of it, sorry, this isn´t getting me anywhere, this is beyond me.

How, step by step, does one record automation with a multipart performance, including splitting into different channels after recording and being able to actually play this automation back on the Montage?

I never understood it and I never will if I cannot get instructions that I can follow. Just simple, intelligeable step by setp instructions would be apreciated.

Now, again, as I said before: recording automation and playing it back ONLY works when: recording the multipart performance without ANY automation on one midi track - then splitting up by channels, and then overdubbing the automation on the particular part.

BUT this is NO FUN. why can`t I record automation that can actually be played back while playing live?

Attached files

Posted : 30/12/2021 2:45 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ok, so...since I still cannot fully understand this issue: aparently once cannot record and playback with the W and R automation buttons in Cubase. It records curves that don´t play back. But the automation and the superknob are recorded even without activating R + W. Then one has to extract this automation to see the automation tracks and select the right midi channel on those automation tracks and then it plays back? So...what are the R+W buttons for? This is all terribly confusing. It makes very little sense to me. And I cannot remember and will never be able to remember anything that I do not fully understand. That´s why this issue keeps hauting me. What on earth are the R+ W buttons even for if they record stuff that doesn´t even play back? And why on earth do they record and playback ok when overdubbing automation? it makes NO sense at all.

AND this only works with single part performances. No luck at all with several parts.

And when trying simply recording songs with automation directly on the Montage, this does not work at all. Automation from these songs cannot be extracted in Cubase. Only the superknob, none of the other knob movements. Why not?

so it the only way for me to have automation on a multipart performance really going to be to record everything dry and overdub it later?

Posted : 30/12/2021 3:15 pm
Member Admin

At this point, having tried various flavours of Cubase on Mac, PC and iOS, I'm of the opinion that they don't use their own software.

This also seems to be the case with Reaper, but often vastly worse. The way it leans on user plugins and scripts reminds me of Blender in all the wrong ways.

Fruity Loops, despite a very good piano roll (that is very old) feels like it's coming from a place of dark patterns and disingenuousness, combined with a very stubborn approach to its way, or the highway. And its way isn't ideal for anything - kind of a brunch when you want dinner.

Ableton Live, despite being very Germanic, seems to be both made and designed by people that care about what they do, and do some of it, and definitely understand their own intentions and the objectives of their users.

That Germanic caveat is a big one, and their origins from outside software design means long paths of exclusionary consideration for many things that could have been much more coordinated and incorporated, wherein things only come together at the final stages. But that might be the price that needs to be paid in order to have a DAW that's somewhat sensible in the configuration and cooperation with equipment and production.

I don't immediately get along with Ableton Live's busy work, but it keeps growing on me. Whilst I'm not nearly convinced it's a good workflow, each of the others keeps causing ever stronger negative reactions. The more I use them the more they each repulse me. None of them come close to making me happy about tidying up multi-part, motion heavy little MIDI productions for the MODX and a couple of other hardware synths.

Cubase, despite being the most vanilla and old fashioned in approach (other than Cakewalk), is just completely irritating in terms of all the byzantine housework that needs to be done each and every time something is connected to the computer and is seemingly horribly unreliable and unstable with hardware. It might be better with VST plugins than hardware.

Apple's Logic is abhorrent in the manner of Adobe's Illustrator. Avoid.

Posted : 30/12/2021 3:53 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

well let´s see.... after spending another 3 hours with this stuff that I should have figured out years ago, I got it to work to actually record and playback the automation. but all of those points have to be followed strictly in that order or it will not work. is this workflow correct? or did it just work now because of lucky random circumstances. will it still work tomorrow or even permanently? so here is what worked:

1: record the multipart performance on one midi track and under no circumstances activate the automation R + W buttons on that track. that is absolutely forbidden.
2: spilt that track up into various midi tracks by channel. it is absolutely forbidden to extract the automation before splitting that track up.
3: extract the automation from midi track one. this is the superknob. it plays back! wow!
4: extract the automation of the other knobs from their midi track. they play back! woooow!

doing this not exactly in that order or attempting to activate automation R+ W does not work. for whatever reasons unknown to me.

So what do you say? is this IT? did I finally figure this out?

Now the question is what to do with those songs recorded directly on the Montage if they have any automation besides the superknob. This data cannot be extracted with Cubase. At least not with Cubase Elements. So, I guess...not usable? Is that correct?

Posted : 30/12/2021 4:08 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I agree with Andrew: "Cubase is just completely irritating in terms of all the byzantine housework that needs to be done each and every time something is connected to the computer and is seemingly horribly unreliable and unstable with hardware. It might be better with VST plugins than hardware."

Posted : 30/12/2021 4:12 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us