Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Steinberg Online Shop CLOSED until further notice...

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Steinberg's online shop is closed due to unforeseen circumstances. The Steinberg Shop was operated by a third party company called Asknet Solutions AG. They recently declared insolvency and in the meantime there has been a disruption in Steinberg product sales. Yamaha Steinberg is looking for a new company to partner with to fulfill Steinberg's online shop needs. Interesting that this happened at around the same time that Yamaha will release its new Flagship synthesizer, the Montage M. Sacré bleu! Hopefully, the launch of the Montage M will go off without a hitch. PS: This gives Steinberg and Yamaha Corp. more time to work to resolve any issues that may have arisen with MIDI 2.0 implementation on the Montage M with the new upcoming Cubase 13 version software that apparently also supports MIDI 2.0. Therefore, when Steinberg finally reopens its new Online Shop store, I would expect there will be seamless integration with the Montage M and Cubase 13 if in fact there were any problems that did crop up. So perhaps this was all planned? 😀

https://www.steinberg.net/online-shop-info/

Posted : 30/09/2023 4:10 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I saw that the other day. I don't know what the software distribution model is but my first reaction was that "direct" sales won't work -- but why would this impact channel sales? It would be a lot of eggs to put in one basket if their product licensing system was wrapped up in this 3rd party online shop thing (which I guess could be the answer). There may be a "good" reason to delay the launch of Cubase but if it could be sold and distributed outside of their online shop then I wonder why it would matter and just announce on schedule while only selling through the channel. That is, outside of maybe increased margins selling direct. Delaying seems more damaging as I'm sure Cubase isn't the only game in town for MIDI 2.0 DAW support in the immediate future. The first money is typically the best money.

Posted : 01/10/2023 4:21 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=123396]if their product licensing system was wrapped up in this 3rd party online shop thing (which I guess could be the answer). [/quotePost]
The licensing system is with Steinberg, it was strictly the shop that was run by a third party (and will still be by the looks of it, only by a different one).

Posted : 01/10/2023 6:51 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

That was my assumption - don't know why you would farm this stuff out although they did revamp the licensing scheme lately so I wasn't sure. Not something I really keep up with. So outside of maybe increased margins through "direct" I'm not sure why they would delay a software launch over this. Ideally everything would be operational - and maybe it doesn't matter if the delay is a week-ish or less. Outside of that, I would say let them fly and try to clean up the direct sales mess in parallel.

Posted : 01/10/2023 7:25 pm
Topic starter

You can still buy Steinberg software through affiliated retailers e.g. Sweetwater.com, Guitar Center.com, etc., etc. And you will still be able to license and update your Steinberg software purchased from retailers. The only thing it affects is the Steinberg website Online Shop, from my understanding. When the new Online Shop is up and running, you will be able to once again purchase Steinberg software directly from their website. Hopefully, it will be up and running soon. There's that word again, 'soon'. 🙂 According to Blake Angelos, we'll see and hear more about the Montage M, soon. In other words, sometime in October. Hopefully, not the 31st. ?

Posted : 01/10/2023 8:43 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

https://www.steinberg.net/online-shop-info/

Specifically:

What about upcoming product releases?

In the short term, planned product releases will be delayed until we have a new online shop in place. We have many exciting products in the release pipeline and are looking forward to showing you what we have been working on. Unfortunately, we must ask for your patience while we work to reopen our online shop. Our new products are worth waiting for!

I'm not sure why "planned product releases will be delayed". Seems like shooting one's self in the foot letting the online shop issue delay product releases. Considering channel partners are available.

Just a reaction from a lowly consumer. I'm sure they know best. Take that with a grain of NaCl.

Posted : 01/10/2023 9:00 pm
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=123402]
I'm not sure why "planned product releases will be delayed".
[/quotePost]

It's possible that certain important Montage features (such as MIDI 2) are either dependent or showcased along Cubase 13 in marketing materials and videos. Maybe software modules are to be made available as well? Either way, the timing is unfortunate. A release campaign is not easy to manage even when everything goes right, let alone when multiple products are involved.

Posted : 02/10/2023 12:42 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Highly unlikely. Asknet is in bankruptcy more likely due to costly legal issues. The court documents I looked at name other companies (not Yamaha, not Steinberg) as engaging in wrongful acts. Insolvency is a nice way to put this and seems to be a secondary result. I would drop Asknet too.

Posted : 02/10/2023 3:36 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us