Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Steinberg USB Driver is not working - what can I do?

15 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
23.5 K Views
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello to all Montage users,

I have the following problem. If I want to start Sample Robot or the JM Montage Waveform Editor I get the following message from my system:

throw - regopenkeyex() in resultiswin10

The newest Windows 10 64 Bit version is installed. What happend here?

Can someone help?

Both Editors are not working. The Performance Editor works fine and the Live Set Editor works fine too.
Thanks for any help.
Rainer

Posted : 12/10/2019 6:40 pm
Bad Mister

Not sure why you think it is the driver?
Go to CONTROL PANEL > Hardware and Sound > and find the Driver > double click on it
What does it report?

Posted : 12/10/2019 7:28 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello Bad Mister,

it tells me that it is working correctly. But ater reinstalling from the JM Waveform Editor and the Sample Robot tool they coul not sart and send the same message.

Now I want to uninstall the driver but it toesnt't work because one of the files are not find.

Whenn I start the Setup again it tells me one mor this message:

Steinberg USB Driver Throw - RegOpenKeyEx() in Resultiswin10

I can only press Enter for Ok.
Rainer

Posted : 12/10/2019 10:42 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello again,

I think that the last system update will broken something at the Driver but it works all right with the JM Tools.

Rainer

Posted : 12/10/2019 10:44 pm
Bad Mister

Go to CONTROL PANEL > Hardware and Sound > and find the Driver > double click on it
What does it report? I’m trying to help you...

Posted : 12/10/2019 11:02 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello again,

it reports the same as I told You yesterday and after pressing the Ok button it tells me that it is preparing the installation. It shows me 0% and it is hanging there.

Rainer

Posted : 13/10/2019 9:17 am
Bad Mister

What is the name and version of the Driver, please?
I ask since there is no such thing as a “Steinberg Driver”.

Posted : 13/10/2019 3:45 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello once again,

I'm now in the details of the driver and look for the version and date.

Date is : 02.08.2018
Version is: 1.10.2.0
I think that will be the problem.
But I have not the tool for that Version at my system. And do not find it on the German site.
Can I get this at the US site?
I hope this will help me to remove the od driver from my system.

Thanks again helping me figuring it out.
Rainer

Posted : 13/10/2019 6:53 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You say the latest version is installed - yet the German site:

https://de.yamaha.com/de/products/music_production/synthesizers/montage/downloads.html

latest version for Windows is shown as:

Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.10.4 for Windows 10 / 8.1 / 7 Win 6.2MB 2019-01-16

v1.10.4 (jan 2019) > v1.10.2 (feb 2018)

To uninstall, you would go to Windows Key -> Add Or Remove Programs then "Search This List" enter "Steinberg" and there should be "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver" listed which, after clicking, will show "Uninstall".

If I press the windows keyboard key then type "add" - windows presents me as the first choice "Add Or Remove Programs".

Note that each "YSUSB" driver ZIP file has an "InstallGuide" directory with PDFs in multiple languages (including German, if preferred) that outlines both install and uninstall instructions for Windows and Mac. These instructions have you using the Control Panel.

Posted : 13/10/2019 7:17 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello to Bad Mister and Jason,

thanks for Your help.

I solved the problem. And here is the solution:

1. Downloading the old driver 1.10.2.0 from the Yamaha website.

2. Deinstalling with that Setup tool.

3. After deinstalling I installed the downloaded new one.

And now it works fine agin.

I think that it will be a good idea that Steinberg will change there installation routines to check up what kind of Driver is installed and remove it without the needs to have other older Setups at the PC.

The most programs I know are using this function and make this happen.

All the best
Rainer

Posted : 13/10/2019 11:17 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I've had to uninstall drivers frequently to get past the soundmondo bug. I've never had to download the old version of the driver. The instructions I left work without having to get the "old driver" package. Windows keeps the uninstall/setup for everything it installs and allows access to this from the "Add Or Remove Programs" feature. Also available through the Control Panel but labeled as "Programs And Features".

The "Programs And Features" method uses the old windows style that should look familiar from Windows Vista/7/8. The other method I gave, "Add or Remove Programs", is the newer style "Metro" interface that was introduced with Win 8 and since has most system-level Windows applications moving to this kind of interface. These also respect the "dark mode" while the older style apps (such as "Programs And Features" ) do not.

Not to say the above is the bible ...

I guess it's possible that somehow you could try to remove drivers by milling around your filesystem and deleting files manually without doing a true uninstall. Depending on what you delete (i.e. corrupt) - you may end up trashing the uninstall which may be resolved by either downloading the old driver - or just doing an in-place install of the newer driver which should prompt you to uninstall the old driver if the stars align.

If this is how you got there (manual deletion) - then don't do that in the future. Around the Windows NT introduction days, we would "affectionately" call Windows "Windows Jr.". As frequently Windows would corrupt and the easiest way to resolve would be to "JR" - just reinstall. Similar pessimistic product acronym humor as "FORD".

Posted : 13/10/2019 11:42 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello Jason,

once agin, thank you for Your input.

The problem was, that the uninstall function of the Driver was corupted. So I had no chance to uninstall with the system features on board.

The only solution was this way I explaned above.

I think one of the system updates make this happen.

Rainer

Posted : 14/10/2019 10:36 am
 Ted
Eminent Member

I'm still having a driver issue after Uninstalling thru the prescribed Windows 10 "Programs and Features"/Uninstall process (numerous times). All new installations are fully corrupt and not working at this point. Is there another alternative in ensuring all the system changes associated with the driver are fully deleted before I try a fresh install?

Posted : 19/11/2019 12:43 am
Bad Mister

Please... Start your own thread and stay with it

Posted : 19/11/2019 11:35 am
 Bob

Hi there,
I see that this thread is some weeks old now, but hopefully this extra information might help some folks.
It's 19th July 2021 and I just upgraded my desktop computer to Windows 10 21H1.
All of a sudden, my audio system collapsed with the 'RegOpenKey' error noted by Rainer above.

Solution in my case was to locate the latest driver from Steinberg. Once installed, everything was back to normal.

More details.....
I'm using a Steinberg UR22 audio interface for several years without major problems. Just to be awkward, my setup uses the excellent Voicemeter Potato in order to provide more options for audio routing within the computer and for making videos and technical conference calls. Everything runs under ASIO.
When I checked my UR22 driver, it was still running on version 1.10.4.
The version I downloaded today (PC) was version 2.04.1. With the hardware interface powered down, the new driver was installed. You then need to power it up, and run the freshly installed Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver / Control Panel. This brings up the details for the selected audio format, number of samples and estimates for latency.

Hope that this helps someone as I know I was VERY unhappy when I first saw this error - usual feelings of Microsoft-invoked disaster - but all ended well.
Thanks Steinberg/Yamaha.

Posted : 19/07/2021 6:05 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us