Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Still getting sound for specific Instruments even when Volume set to zero in DAW.

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am using the Montage as a Controller/Tone Generator Via MIDI with Local Control Off
CATEGORY --> INIT --> Multi/GM

On PART 1: I select a Drum set, T'S Hip-Hop Kit. However, bringing the volume down in the DAW does not get the sound to stop, it does go lower but not infinite.
However, if I change the drum kit to EDM or something else, then it works accordingly.
I have attempted to configure Knob assignments, to see if there was another parameter controlling the volume but so far not successful.
From reading some materials, there are instances where some other parameter assigned can control the Volume.

Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Posted : 21/01/2019 7:30 am
Bad Mister

On PART 1: I select a Drum set, T'S Hip-Hop Kit. However, bringing the volume down in the DAW does not get the sound to stop, it does go lower but not infinite.

You are correct when you look for another controller that might be influencing the parameter. In our “scuba diving” tutorial article series on “MONTAGifying XF Performances”, we learn a technique to hunt down such assignments... see if it works for you.

From the HOME screen...
Select the Part containing the “T’s Hip Hop Kit” (Part 1)
Press [EDIT]
The top line will read “Edit - Part1 - Common” (If not Select Part 1, so that “Part 1” and “Common” appear in the lower left corner)
Touch “Mod/Control” > “Control Assign”
If you activate “Auto Select” (turns green) you can now see what’s assigned to a Controller by moving it.

Alternatively, you can move the cursor highlight to the “Display Filter”
Use the Data Dial to set the “Display Filter” = All

This will show you each Source/Destination Control Set — there are 16 parameter Destinations possible, four are shown per PAGE.

You see that Part1 VOLUME is assigned to Assign Knob 1. It is set to partially reduce the Volume of the Part. The graphic indicates a slight negative ‘Curve’ (left to right) this means as the Knob is turned clockwise the Volume is reduced. Ratio determines how much it is reduced.

You can DELETE this assignment by touching the “Delete” box in the lower right corner. If you Delete it, control over the Part Volume will return to the usual Fader and will respond to cc7 from the DAW in a normal fashion.

Alternate Method: A quick way to look for assignments would be as follows:
From the Home screen:
Press [SHIFT] + [HOME]
This calls up the “Overview” screen
Here you can see Controller assignments, Assign Knobs, Faders, and Super Knob assignment.
Moving a controller focuses the graphic on that assignment.

Initially the “Part” = “Common” (overall). Remember there is the upper Common and the individual Part levels to the architecture.
Set “Part” = Part number you want to review.
If the Kit is in Part 1, Set the Overview to “Part 1”
You’ll see that the Assign Knob 1 is controlling something in “T’s Hip Hop Kit” (green line)
Touch the box “Edit Part 1 Control Settings”
Turn Assign Knob 1 to view its assignment
If you increase the negative RATIO (negative value) you see how this determines when it fades completely out...
To DELETE this assignment just touch the box “Delete”

Extra Credit: if you want a deleted control assignment back just touch the “+” in the Destination box to bring it back.

Posted : 21/01/2019 11:54 am
Topic starter

You are correct when you look for another controller that might be influencing the parameter. In our “scuba diving” tutorial article series on “MONTAGifying XF Performances”, we learn a technique to hunt down such assignments... see if it works for you.

From the HOME screen...
Select the Part containing the “T’s Hip Hop Kit” (Part 1)
Press [EDIT]
The top line will read “Edit - Part1 - Common” (If not Select Part 1, so that “Part 1” and “Common” appear in the lower left corner)
Touch “Mod/Control” > “Control Assign”
If you activate “Auto Select” (turns green) you can now see what’s assigned to a Controller by moving it.

Alternatively, you can move the cursor highlight to the “Display Filter”
Use the Data Dial to set the “Display Filter” = All

This will show you each Source/Destination Control Set — there are 16 parameter Destinations possible, four are shown per PAGE.

You see that Part1 VOLUME is assigned to Assign Knob 1. It is set to partially reduce the Volume of the Part. The graphic indicates a slight negative ‘Curve’ (left to right) this means as the Knob is turned clockwise the Volume is reduced. Ratio determines how much it is reduced.

You can DELETE this assignment by touching the “Delete” box in the lower right corner. If you Delete it, control over the Part Volume will return to the usual Fader and will respond to cc7 from the DAW in a normal fashion.

Alternate Method: A quick way to look for assignments would be as follows:
From the Home screen:
Press [SHIFT] + [HOME]
This calls up the “Overview” screen
Here you can see Controller assignments, Assign Knobs, Faders, and Super Knob assignment.
Moving a controller focuses the graphic on that assignment.

Initially the “Part” = “Common” (overall). Remember there is the upper Common and the individual Part levels to the architecture.
Set “Part” = Part number you want to review.
If the Kit is in Part 1, Set the Overview to “Part 1”
You’ll see that the Assign Knob 1 is controlling something in “T’s Hip Hop Kit” (green line)
Touch the box “Edit Part 1 Control Settings”
Turn Assign Knob 1 to view its assignment
If you increase the negative RATIO (negative value) you see how this determines when it fades completely out...
To DELETE this assignment just touch the box “Delete”

Extra Credit: if you want a deleted control assignment back just touch the “+” in the Destination box to bring it back.

Thank you so much for this support and information.
I am going to get back to it as soon I I can get to the Keyboard.

Thanks again as always!

Patrick

Posted : 21/01/2019 3:48 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you're relatively comfortable with most "normal" synth configuration parameters - usually when something is happening which appears to be a "ghost in the machine" are offsets applied by controller destinations. Arpeggios have a defeat switch. Effects have a defeat switch. There's no defeat switch for controller offsets (which would include MS Lane, Envelope, assignable knobs, etc) - so it requires some menu diving to determine. An important concept to get some proficiency with in order to avoid searching for ghosts and start searching for something more familiar/tangible.

Posted : 21/01/2019 7:51 pm
Topic starter

Just wanted to post back some result. Based on Bad Master's advise, I was able to get things resolved.
I was almost there but this is one area which confused me.

When I go to: Touch “Mod/Control” > “Control Assign.” Initially, I saw no assignment, that's because the knobs and sliders are not necessarily assigned in sequence. For example: Part 1 is not always assigned to Slider/Knob 1. In my case this threw me off as I was asking myself, why is Part 1 not assigned to Slider/Knob one. It turns out Part 1 was assigned to Slider/Knob 2. But as Bad Master indicated, I simply touch the knob to see which was assigned to what part and then deleted the assignment to resolve the volume issue.

Thank you so much!

Posted : 22/01/2019 7:31 pm
Bad Mister

It is dangerous thinking to think that Part 1 is going to use Knob 1, and Part 2 is going to use Knob 2; here’s why...

From the HOME screen (there are two HOME screen views — one shows the 8 Common Knobs, the other is the split screen “View”)
Press [HOME] to toggle between these two screens... select the Assign Knob screen.

When you are on the HOME screen and the [ASSIGN] button is lit, the upper [COMMON] button is also lit and those 8 “Common Assign Knobs” are the ones linked to the Super Knob movement, by default.
When you select a PART, the screen now shows you that selected Part’s 8 “Part Assign Knobs”. Yes, all 8 of them control parameters within PART 1.
Each of the 16 Parts has its own 8 personal Part Assign Knobs. You can view and activate what is assigned to them, by *selecting* the PART.

Notice when you press [PART SELECT 1], the Assign Knob row reads “Part 1 Assign”, and if you select [PART SELECT 2] the Knobs are now “Part 2 Assign” and so on...

That’s 128 potential “Part Assign Knobs”, plus the 8 “Common Assign Knob”.
The Super Knob can be linked to Control any of those 128 potential Part Assign Knobs. You do this by linking a Part Assign Knob to any of the 8 Common Assign Knobs.... this means when you turn the Super Knob it can move scores of other Knobs, doing different things to each Part. Individually ‘scaled’ to move the precise amount you require.

The Super Knob System is Setup so that you do not have to *select* the Part to actively control the Part Assign Knobs that have been “linked” to the system. This is what allows you the unprecedented amount of real time control you have when playing multiple Parts.

And because the Super Knob can address all 16 Parts, you could be playing and controlling a Multi-Part KBD CTRL Sound, while the other Parts are playing back a MIDI FILE. The Super Knob could be fading out the backing tracks while you play on top with full control of the KBD CTRL Parts.

Posted : 22/01/2019 8:47 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us