Clear all

Thanks to Joel and BM

15 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I opened the multi channel 'template' (my apologies BM) and beyond a few stuck MIDI notes here and there things seem to work as expected so far. Please understand that I'm not a complete tech-nerd (sometimes I wish I were) and this is a still a new board to me. In theory I understand it's usefulness to help make songs but it's a lot to ingest in addition to the other tools I use-it's the 'new kid on the block' for my setup and initially I had no intentions of integrating it fully with Cubase even though it works well with it. Anyway, I changed my setup and it's been a bit rough getting everything to play nice. The Montage/Cubase integration is the latest workflow change which added to the confusion but I think I'll be okay for now. Thanks again to you both.

Posted : 27/10/2017 8:34 pm
Bad Mister

Really? The MONTAGE templates appear in Cubase series 9, Cubase series 8.5, Cubase 8, Cubase 7.5, Cubase 7... sorry I don’t know about Cubase series6 (you should check with your MySteinberg Account about that).

Where do you get your (bad) information?

Posted : 28/10/2017 3:08 am
Lawrence
Trusted Member

What's the link for the Cubase 9 templates?

Thank you. 🙂

Posted : 28/10/2017 12:13 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

Really? The MONTAGE templates appear in Cubase series 9, Cubase series 8.5, Cubase 8, Cubase 7.5, Cubase 7... sorry I don’t know about Cubase series6 (you should check with your MySteinberg Account about that).

I'm gonna check that lol. Thanks for the info BM.

Posted : 28/10/2017 2:32 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

BM, where do I find the template for Montage in Cubase 8.5? It's not under MIDI Devices.

Posted : 28/10/2017 2:48 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Yup, just double-checked and Montage is not in the list MIDI Device manager list when clicking Install to display said list. Motif , MO etc. are all there, but he Montage is not. So, exactly where is it BM? I'd really like to know where you saw it.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm using latest 8.5.30 build.

Posted : 28/10/2017 3:33 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hello, for midi device manager you need to install patch list, i have made, see the related post here, in the last message you have the direct link for cubase script Moessieurs page i made, install and using informations :

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/montage-patch-list-os-1-60-by-john-melas-moessieurs-for-cubase,-sonar-pro-tools

For project/template it's not in midi device, it's when you open cubase in midi assistant project who's open automaticly at cubase start in "Recording" worksheet

Here is an example with Motif XF, i do not have made screen shoot for Montage at this time :

As far as i understand fine :
In midi device you find scirpts or patchnames who allow to call a performance or the first part un der a performance.
A template or project configure the midi and audio tracks.

Posted : 28/10/2017 4:43 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Joel wrote:

Hello, for midi device manager you need to install patch list, i have made, see the related post here, in the last message you have the direct link for cubase script Moessieurs page i made, install and using informations :

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/montage-patch-list-os-1-60-by-john-melas-moessieurs-for-cubase,-sonar-pro-tools

For project/template it's not in midi device, it's when you open cubase in midi assistant project who's open automaticly at cubase start in "Recording" worksheet

Here is an example with Motif XF, i do not have made screen shoot for Montage at this time :

As far as i understand fine :
In midi device you find scirpts or patchnames who allow to call a performance or the first part un der a performance.
A template or project configure the midi and audio tracks.

Thanks Joel, so I guess because it's not in MIDI device manager (somebody might wanna tell BM that lol) I'll have to start a new project choosing it after initially opening Cubase. This means that projects I have started cannot be used with this new template unless I save the MIDI files from a project I'm already working on then import those MIDI files. Okay, I'll do that then. Thanks a lot for the link man:)

Posted : 28/10/2017 5:14 pm
Bad Mister

TEMPLATES:
https://yamahasynth.com/resources/montage-and-cubase-pro-9-workflow

Big difference between “script files” that let you select Preset sounds from a static list and “templates”... Templates as you can see, setup the DAW for different Record scenarios.

Posted : 28/10/2017 5:44 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you for the info BM.

Posted : 28/10/2017 7:23 pm
Bad Mister

No worries... if you have any of the “Pro” (Top of the line) versions of Cubase you get the INPUT TRANSFORMER... necessary for a Track to Receive just the the one MIDI Channel you want to record on it.

Those with AI (the freebie version) don’t get the INPUT TRANSFORMER... so the workflow is a bit different. It entails setting up a single Cubase track set to “Any” as the channel... then after all are recorded you can DISSOLVE PART to separate the data to separate tracks by MIDI channel. MIDI data, not being sound, can share the same track... splitting it to separate tracks simply makes it more convenient to edit.

Posted : 28/10/2017 8:41 pm
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

No worries... if you have any of the “Pro” (Top of the line) versions of Cubase you get the INPUT TRANSFORMER... necessary for a Track to Receive just the the one MIDI Channel you want to record on it.

Those with AI (the freebie version) don’t get the INPUT TRANSFORMER... so the workflow is a bit different. It entails setting up a single Cubase track set to “Any” as the channel... then after all are recorded you can DISSOLVE PART to separate the data to separate tracks by MIDI channel. MIDI data, not being sound, can share the same track... splitting it to separate tracks simply makes it more convenient to edit.

I have 8.5 Pro and I used the template you pointed me to. I removed all of the USB audio in/outs for now as I am using my UR824 interface, but it's nice to know I can stream 32 channels of audio through the USB if I choose to. I am noticing though that MIDI notes sometimes hang or sound drops from MIDI triggered sounds as an 8 bar MIDI loop in Cubase plays- I press play and the MIDI plays back but after a few bars the MIDI sound from Montage drops out completely for a half second. I am only using 2 channels of MIDI (2 parts of a multi channel Performance in Montage) and I have MIDI local set to off in Montage to prevent a MIDI loop but it's still happening. Have you noticed this when you record MIDI BM? I didn't change anything other than removing the USB busses and audio tracks. I did not change any MIDI settings other than to remove the filter from Sysex, like I read in one of your tutorials. Can you think of anything that might be causing the MIDI triggered parts to drop out from time to time? And the hanging notes on Part 1 is a mystery. My Montage Performance is simple- Multi-channel using only two parts Bass- Channel 1 and Clean Electric- Channel 2. Would other devices connected to the computer (like other keyboard controllers or a MIDI patchbay) interfere someone how since 'All MIDI' is the chosen input for all the MIDI tracks. Could there be a MIDI conflict from other devices causing the MIDI hiccups?

Posted : 29/10/2017 2:21 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

You're welcome Fess ,)

Posted : 29/10/2017 7:39 am
Bad Mister

I have 8.5 Pro and I used the template you pointed me to. I removed all of the USB audio in/outs for now as I am using my UR824 interface, but it's nice to know I can stream 32 channels of audio through the USB if I choose to. I am noticing though that MIDI notes sometimes hang or sound drops from MIDI triggered sounds as an 8 bar MIDI loop in Cubase plays- I press play and the MIDI plays back but after a few bars the MIDI sound from Montage drops out completely for a half second. I am only using 2 channels of MIDI (2 parts of a multi channel Performance in Montage) and I have MIDI local set to off in Montage to prevent a MIDI loop but it's still happening. Have you noticed this when you record MIDI BM?

No. Not at all.

I didn't change anything other than removing the USB busses and audio tracks. I did not change any MIDI settings other than to remove the filter from Sysex, like I read in one of your tutorials. Can you think of anything that might be causing the MIDI triggered parts to drop out from time to time?

A MIDI loop, or just a bad choice of loop location. If Note-ons and/or sustain cause notes to extend over the loop point, notes have no choice but to hang... for example, a Sustain On command cc64 (127) that does not have a corresponding cc64 (0) before the top returns. Eventually you run completely out of polyphony.

You should play back each Channel solo’d, find the culprit and then search for the cause. If Super Knob movement is involved during the 8 Measure loop, be sure to SOLO both the Sysex Track and the individual channel track so that you can hear how the movement affects each Part by itself.

And the hanging notes on Part 1 is a mystery. My Montage Performance is simple- Multi-channel using only two parts Bass- Channel 1 and Clean Electric- Channel 2. Would other devices connected to the computer (like other keyboard controllers or a MIDI patchbay) interfere someone how since 'All MIDI' is the chosen input for all the MIDI tracks. Could there be a MIDI conflict from other devices causing the MIDI hiccups?

Not likely but you eliminate this as a cause by setting the Tracks to MONTAGE-1 (Port 1) as MIDI IN.

Posted : 29/10/2017 8:50 am
 Fess
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi BM, okay so I've been troubleshooting this for most of the day...

Here is what I can tell you: Under Preferences->MIDI, MIDI Thru-check marked, All Chase Events-check marked.
MIDI Filter- All boxes unchecked. On the Montage MIDI local is off
The problem I'm having is when Sysex (under Preferences->MIDI Filter) is unchecked under columns 'Record' and 'Thru' I cannot hear my arp on
the MIDI channel I'm working on. I'm working with a (Mega60sChorusCombo) guitar sound. And because of that I can't adjust arp-swing (or any other parameters in the ARP/MS section) in real time on Montage while monitoring through the Cubase MIDI channel. Only by filtering Sysex can I again hear the arp in Cubase-but then turning the Swing encoder doesn't reflect on the screen nor does it actually change the swing. I can use the Data wheel to adjust of course, but for convenience and work-flow sake I was hoping to be able to adjust ARP/MS parameters in real time while monitoring the sound in Cubase.
As well, I still I still haven't been able to track down the problem causing hanging notes. There is no MIDI loop that I can see and I have connected all MIDI channel inputs to Montage 1-just in case other controllers or hardware were interfering somehow, but now I know they weren't. Anyway, before I try to figure out the MIDI note hang or sudden drop out issue I would like to know if my ARP monitoring problem can be adjusted to work. Is this a limitation of the Montage/Cubase integration or is it a matter of mapping the encoders through another way?

I just wanted to add that when I unfiltered Sysex, a blip of a sound happens from time to time as the arp plays in a loop. I tested this by playing a chord and having the guitar arp set to 'Hold'and 'Loop', then I filtered and unfiltered the Sysex from both the 'Record' and ''Thru' columns. When Sysex was filtered the arps played back through the Cubase channel, but as soon as I unfiltered the Sysex messages the sound cuts off and notes trigger very randomly only one note at a time-even though I had a chord pressed on the keys. Again, filtering Sysex brings the sound back to my channel. Any ideas?

Posted : 29/10/2017 9:53 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us