The sound of silence ...

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello. In the midst of chaos (I am re-jigging my set-up) this has just occurred to me. Part of the plan is to route my Tyros 3 output through the A/D inputs of the Montage. The Tyros will also be MIDI driven by the Montage. I can silence the Tyros by turning down the input volume control - but I can't do that for the Montage because the main volume control will turn down both the Montage and the Tyros. I would like to hear just the Tyros at times (played by the Montage), so is there a way of doing that? If I select the 'Init AWM2' Pf (no effects) and reduce the volume to zero in the 'Amplitude' page - would that work? Or is there a simpler trick to silence the Montage without affecting the Tyros?

I know I could just play the Tyros, but that puts the speakers in the wrong place for best results. Thanks ...

Posted : 17/08/2018 5:11 am
Bad Mister

Part of the plan is to route my Tyros 3 output through the A/D inputs of the Montage. The Tyros will also be MIDI driven by the Montage. I can silence the Tyros by turning down the input volume control - but I can't do that for the Montage because the main volume control will turn down both the Montage and the Tyros. I would like to hear just the Tyros at times (played by the Montage), so is there a way of doing that? If I select the 'Init AWM2' Pf (no effects) and reduce the volume to zero in the 'Amplitude' page - would that work? Or is there a simpler trick to silence the Montage without affecting the Tyros?

When you are controlling an external keyboard or module from the MONTAGE via MIDI and you have the external device plugged into the A/D Input of MONTAGE. You can automate much about this combination.

You do not have to adjust the Volume of the A/D Input when you want to silence the Tyros 3. You can simply press the front panel [A/D In] button. The reason you want to set the incoming Gain and leave it is because once you do that you can automate how loud the Tyros 3 is versus how loud the internal MONTAGE is for each Performance you recall.

By using the [AD IN] button to turn the Tyros3 On/Off you can keep the volume balance as programmed.

You want the same kind of Switch to deactivate the MONTAGE.... Yes, there are several ways.

You could:
1) Turn LOCAL CONTROL = Off.
Local Control literally connects the MONTAGE keyboard to the MONTAGE tone generator. When set to Off, only MIDI is sent, this will “turn off” the MONTAGE sounds. This would be the quickest way to defeat MONTAGE internal sounds without disturbing what you have setup via MIDI Out.
[UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > Local Control = Off

2) Use the front panel [MUTE] buttons.
On any Performance you can light the [PERFORMANCE CONTROL] button which turns the second row of eight buttons into PART MUTEs. Depending on how you have configured your ZONE routing you can manipulate playing the internal and/or external Part slots quite easily.

3) When your External device is additionally plugged into the MONTAGE, you now have similar control over it as you would any internal MONTAGE Part. You can even morph from MONTAGE on one end of the Super Knob and Tyros 3 on the other. Use the Super Knob to crossfade from one to the other... that’s what is meant by Motion Control...!

Please see the articles on “Zone Master and MIDI I/O Modes” and the “Zone Master FAQ” for details.

Posted : 17/08/2018 1:18 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello BM! And Gosh! Spoiled for choice! I've been at it most of today, and have got it all back together and working again. Much simpler - the mixer is gone, so is the Korg ... sigh. Guess I've got rid of more than 30 feet of cable. Montage now plugged directly into the speakers - I think the sound is a little bit cleaner and a little louder on the same settings. Still get the same delay for a note to sound after it's been standing a while though. Thought I might get rid of that, but no. Have to strike the note 3 or 4 times before the sound appears. Not a bother. While there I tried using the 'Init AWM2' with the volume reduced to zero, and it works fine. I saved it as a user Pf in the 'No Assign' section - nothing much in there. But you have produced at least 3 more ways - I'll try them out in practice to see which is the simplest to use. Bonus to control the Tyros as if it were part of the Montage! Happy days ahead, I see! It's a bit like gilding the lily ... thank you as always. I'll look into your recommended articles too - the 'Zone' business has puzzled me before, so another go now I'm further down the line is a good idea ... stay very well, Sir ...

Posted : 17/08/2018 4:39 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us