Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha Montage does not turn off automatically???

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi all.

I have my Montage set to auto turn off after 30 minutes and it does not turn off.

I do have a USB cable connected (in some instances, my PC is turned on, and others it is turned off).

I suspect the keyboard is staying on because the USB cable is connected, but for folks using this in a studio environment like myself, I would like the auto off feature to turn off if and only if no keys/buttons on the keyboard is pressed in the time I have it set for.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks!

Kevin

Posted : 17/08/2018 2:50 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you're currently editing a sound then the automatic shut-off will be disabled. The rationale for this is to prevent data loss.

I'm not sure about the USB cable alone.

Posted : 17/08/2018 3:56 pm

Montage does not go into the sleep mode if USB is connected to an active computer. That is normal 🙂

Posted : 17/08/2018 9:06 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Kevin - ditto here. The computer runs all the time I have Montage switched on, and I often leave it for hours at a time. When I return, the Montage may still be running, or it may have turned itself off. I have not been able to establish why, Luckily it doesn't bother me.

Posted : 18/08/2018 5:38 am
Bad Mister

From a previous discussion.....

Please see page 15 of the Owner’s Manual to get a better idea of when the Auto Power Off feature will work.

It’s purpose is to save energy (it’s a green planet thing). But it is not an absolute.

“Depending on the instrument status, the power may not turn off automatically, even after the elapse of the specified period of time. Always turn off the power manually when the instrument is not in use.”

This cryptic note tells you that it does not just power down after the set amount of time. As you get to know your MONTAGE you will observe the following:

It will not Auto Power Off, if the blue flag appears in the Performance Name box. The “blue flag” icon appears in the lower right corner of the Performance Name box, right next to the icon that denotes a pop-in menu will appear if this area is touched. The “blue flag” appears anytime you have edited, but not yet stored your Edit to a Performance. This you can understand as a feature, just because you haven’t gotten around to STORE your Edit is no reason for your keyboard to shut down and dump its memory. If you’ve edited a sound, your instrument will remain powered up.

Also whenever your MONTAGE is set to “MIDI I/O = USB”, as soon as you connect to a host device the USB icon on the top line of the screen illuminates in blue, indicating the MONTAGE senses a connected Host (computer or tablet or phone), in this scenario the MONTAGE might (likely) be acting as your host device’s soundcard, therefore, this quite naturally disables the Auto Power Off routine. I believe if it is actively being addressed by software this defeats the Power Off feature. Imagine watching the latest Star Wars movie on your computer, since the MONTAGE can be your computer’s soundcard that means all computer audio can be routed through your synth to use your studio Monitor setup. It is not necessary to constantly get up and interact with MONTAGE to keep it from powering down.

When an active computer is connected, and the YSUSB is engaged (and the USB icon is bright blue) or a Performance has been edited but not yet stored (the blue flag icon appears) are two examples of when the Auto Power Off is overridden (rightfully so).

However, if you just powered it on, and ignored it completely that meets the defined *purpose* of Auto Power Off, once the set time is reached the instrument will Power Off.

If you worked all night on tweaking a Performance and fell asleep at the MONTAGE (we hear stories)... you’ll be happy to know your Edit will still be there and the power will still be On. And it will never Power Off in the middle of a YouTube video just because you haven’t wiggled a Knob!

Make sense?

As the Manual states:
“Always turn off power manually when the instrument is not in use”

And now that you know about the blue flag, you can ask yourself, do I need to store my most recent changes to this sound. If yes, do so, if not, go ahead, power down. Or if your issue is you are just too lazy to reach for the switch, just make sure you have powered down your computer (or disconnected the USB cable) and cleared the edit buffer. (The blue flag disappears when you STORE). Hope that helps.

Posted : 18/08/2018 7:02 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Thanks BM - it'll be when the Montage is in MIDI mode that it auto-powers off, but not in USB mode. I'll remember that now. I have lost edits, but since I'm never satisfied with anything I've done, I don't mind too much. Just do it again better. To use it as a soundcard I guess you use the A/D ports - versatile chap! Wouldn't have thought of that. I suppose the computer is just another device to the Montage, just as the Montage is just another device to the computer. Stand-off! Stay well ...

Posted : 19/08/2018 5:40 am
Bad Mister

You cannot lose edits by the MONTAGE Auto Power Off Function. Please reread the explanation.

Posted : 19/08/2018 1:14 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello BM - I did mis-read it! It's perfectly clear though - probably read what I expected to read! That perplexed me insofar as edits have disappeared ... I think I must have switched away from my edit and lost it before leaving the Montage. I am a bit haphazard. Just blamed the Montage as it was easier than figuring out what I'd done! Sorry Montage ...

Posted : 20/08/2018 7:06 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us