the sounds of Fargo

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I wanna do a song with sounds like the soundtrack of Fargo the movie or the series. What performances do you recommend? That soundscape is so wild I don´t know where to search.

Posted : 04/01/2022 9:00 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a fairly "normal" orchestra to me unless you're referring to the "dustbowl" version.

Assuming the main theme ...

I'd use a solo string instrument. There's ensemble strings in there. Take your pick. Lots work. There are tremolo strings in there. Xylophone (bells), timpani, some flutes. Just normal orchestral instruments. I'm not sure if I'm listening to exactly the piece you're after since I'm not familiar with the series except for a search I just did to hear some main themes.

Posted : 04/01/2022 9:26 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Sounds like a fairly "normal" orchestra to me unless you're referring to the "dustbowl" version.

Assuming the main theme ...

I'd use a solo string instrument. There's ensemble strings in there. Take your pick. Lots work. There are tremolo strings in there. Xylophone (bells), timpani, some flutes. Just normal orchestral instruments. I'm not sure if I'm listening to exactly the piece you're after since I'm not familiar with the series except for a search I just did to hear some main themes.

Posted : 04/01/2022 11:59 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

yeah true, not so easy to find on youtube actually, but I mean the bombastic parts like this with the bombastic drum:

https://youtu.be/mHC2tsH297E?t=474

I usually don´t do this kind of music but i wanna do an intro in that style. not really using these kind of symphonics sounds, so don´t know where to look. maybe seattle orchestra, which I have never used yet? yeah, that´s probably it.

Posted : 05/01/2022 12:00 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

"Real Timpani AF2 Mfl" (or any of the other Timpani single Part Performances) will handle the drum. I like the sound of "Real Timpani AF2 Mfl" when pressing [ASSIGN 2] AND enabling Element 8 (it's OFF). This Performance rings out a little more than the other Timpani Performances so you may prefer the others. I just think this one is more "alive" with the harmonics. You can edit any of these to your liking.

And then I use "Viola" as the solo instrument (I started by listening to the link you sent from the start before you sent the link - I was referencing it starting at the beginning). Pretty much I can split Timpani on the lower keys and solo around with Viola on the right hand (note shifted -12 or -24 so I can keep the instrument in the lower end) and that goes fairly far. If I was to "play" these rolls - the Real Timpani ... Performance has notes repeated across the entire keyboard so you play the same note in right and left hand for the rolls as if "hitting" the drum with mallets. In this case I wouldn't split - but would track to a sequencer/DAW for just the Timpani MIDI channel and then track to just the Viola and so on. It doesn't take much more than those two instruments and space (silence) to achieve the general mood here. Background ensemble strings (or ensemble tremolo strings) and other instruments - flutes, french horn, etc - are gravy.

Low brass - contra bass - etc. Normal stuff here. Montage should be able to handle this one with built-in sounds.

Listen to the sound/texture of the bottom and top. Those are easiest (for me, in general for anything) to pick up on and outline. Add Timpani and then the rest is filling in the middle. The ensemble/"background" middle parts as well as any solo instrument. The solo (when there) as the in-front melody should be fairly easy to pick up on too.

Posted : 05/01/2022 7:43 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

great! thank you very much.

Posted : 05/01/2022 11:39 pm
Bad Mister

Link — MONTAGE: Creating Huge Orchestral Sound — 3 part video series with Dom Sigalas

Link — Layering and Splitting

Posted : 06/01/2022 2:45 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

that´s it 🙂 thank you Bad Mister

Posted : 06/01/2022 1:43 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us