Clear all

triggering options for parts.

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Greg
 Greg
Topic starter

Is there a way to have a layer only re trigger if no other keys are pressed? I have a part with a sampled loop playing and while i have keys held down i do not want it to re-trigger and start the loop over if i hit another key while I have it playing by holding down another key.

Most modular synths behave this way. not re-triggering until all keys have been released.

Posted : 18/05/2018 11:49 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There are a few things which do something similar (which won't work) - let me run through those first.

Something like "All 9 Bars!" (a tonewheel organ) shows how percussion can be emulated. PART 2, element number 2 has the percussion. The way the percussion works is that the 1st time you hit a piano key (with no other keys pressed) - you'll hear a percussion high pitched short sound. If you hold keys down after the initial key - subsequent keys do not play the percussion sound. Only playing a single piano key with no other piano keys held down plays the percussion sound. It sounds close - but the difference is that percussion is a short thing - not a sample that keeps playing THROUGH all the rest of the keys. How this is accomplished is through a PART LFO. The PART LFO is reset on only the first keypress. Only on reset is the level of the element brought up to an audible level. When you press a key - the LFO quickly brings the element (PART2,element 2) down to "zero". Only when a piano key is struck by itself (no other keys held) is the LFO reset to bring the volume back up.

Although you may be able to leverage this idea - I doubt it's going to cut it. It doesn't filter triggers - this just fools with volume so the element doesn't sound.

XA Control Legato is sort of the opposite of what you want. There's no XA control inversion. XA Control Legato says that -- only if you have the PART Mono/Poly set to "Mono" then the element will sound if you're holding a piano key while you strike the next piano key. Although XA control deals with filtering triggers - there's not one that does what you want. The closest you can get is have an assignable switch you have to press to force subsequent restrikes of the same trigger note to be ignored because the A.SW is needed to sound the element. This does not affect your held note - so turning off A.SW will not stop the note from sounding which is being held.

That said - it may not work for you because the gestures to get this to work are different from what you were after.

Also, there are ARPs. You could set an ARP to press an A.SW so that AFTER you trigger your sample - the A.SW is "holding off" subsequent presses until all keys are let go. This does exactly what you want - but requires a bit to setup.

1) Make sure your sample you want to trigger is on an AWM2 normal part (not a drum part). This is important because drum parts do not participate in A.SW XA control.

2) With your AWM2 normal (sample) PART - turn on PART arpeggio. Turn on master arpeggio. This PART's arpeggio pattern should be "MA_Ambient 3 AF1" What happens when you press any key - you will see A.SW1 is automatically "pressed" (it lights up) when you have any keys held.

3) Setup your arpeggio settings: a) Hold OFF, Loop ON, Key Mode DIRECT, I also set Change Timing to real-time, although that's not probably important here.

4) Setup your element with the sample (bottom tabs with element numbers on the same PART) - setup the OSC/Tune "XA Control" to "A.SW OFF" This will setup the sample to only play when the first key is pressed and will not re-trigger until all keys are let go (resulting in the arpeggio "letting go" of the A.SW1 button). Only when both buttons are OFF will you be able to re-trigger the sample.

This should do what you're asking for.

Posted : 19/05/2018 5:33 am
Greg
 Greg
Topic starter

Thanks Jason, you seem to know the Montage very well! I will try this and it seems like it should work just fine.

Posted : 19/05/2018 6:20 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm learning as I go. Questions like this are opportunities to problem solve.

Note - just to be complete, something else that doesn't do what you want will end up doing the same thing as the "All 9 Bars!" LFO "trick". You can use a motion sequence with the destination as the element level and pick the element you want affected. If the motion sequence is set to 1st-On "Key on reset", the end of the MS pulse is set to make volume 0%, and loop (MS) is set to off - then this will effectively do the same thing as the LFO. Which isn't what you want because it only fools with level and does not prevent a second trigger from happening as a fast-follow.

The "LFO trick" (and motion sequence equivalent) is sufficient if the sample is really short (like percussion) which doesn't allow for a second sample trigger to reasonably be heard before the volume is set to 0.

Posted : 19/05/2018 6:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us