Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Unexplained midi notes

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm having unexplained and unintentional midi triggering issues when connecting my Yamaha Montage Keyboard to Logic Pro X. Basically, when I select any track in Logic's arrange window or select any tool or transport controls, the Montage is receiving and playing a note via midi. I turned OFF the keyboards midi receive, midi transmit, local control, clock out etc., but nothing seems to turn off this midi information from being received by the Montage. There are no midi regions or midi notes in Logic's arrange window, it's totally blank. When I press play, the Montage receives midi information and plays a B flat, when I press stop, the Montage receives midi information and plays an A. It's almost like a ghost because I can't seem to trace where this midi information source is coming from.

Setup: The Yamaha Montage keyboard's audio and midi is connected to Logic Pro X via USB to HOST Computer. Audio sound and midi is received into Logic Pro X via audio preference, input device selection MONTAGE. The audio signal is then input via a soft synth channel via external instrument, Montage Port 1, Midi 1, input 1-2.

Can anyone explain why I'm unintentionally sending midi information out to the Montage which is playing a random note via the play button, stop, solo, transport controls or just scrolling from track to track etc.?

Posted : 08/11/2016 12:26 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Someone else will need to help you out here that has a similar setup. When you say "start" and "stop" and connect this with MIDI activity - my head goes towards the touchscreen (TS) "Settings" -> "MIDI I/O" menu (or press [UTILITY] then tap "MIDI I/O"). Here there is the TS: "Song Play/Stop" "Receive (on/off)" and "Transmit (on/off)". Certainly this doesn't have anything to do with your issue - but those are dots I'm connecting without knowing anything about the Logic environment. And this really doesn't touch that side of the equation.

Looks like this respects just receiving 0xFA, 0xFB, and 0xFC (or sending when buttons are pressed). So doesn't seem this would have anything to do with noises coming out of the Montage unless maybe the song buffer has something in it.

Maybe Logic Pro X (for you, where you are at right now) maps its start/stop buttons to some MIDI command that is not 0xFA for start, 0xFB for continue, and 0xFC for stop. Maybe if it does this with different note-on MIDI messages - then this is the problem.

Maybe you can edit the transport parameters and edit the message to match for start/continue/stop.

Wrong version, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUtGd9EEo-Y

Make sure you have the transmit Song play/stop as ON (see above "MIDI I/O" screen discussion) for the learning to work.

Receive as ON too - for obvious reasons (because you'll want it to respond to the messages).

Posted : 08/11/2016 7:15 am

Thanks Jason, you have some good suggestions. I will start with troubleshooting the TS "Song Start/Play" receive modes, then the Logic midi commands. Something is sending midi data to the Montage without my knowledge.

Thanks for the help!

Posted : 08/11/2016 2:45 pm
Bad Mister

Your computer see 3 MIDI Ports from the Montage.
Port 1 is your music port (note-ons, controllers, tempo)
Port 2 would be used for Remote Control Surface communication (prevent Port 2 from reaching your music tracks)
Port 3 is the 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT jacks on the Montage back panel

Block Port 2 from being sent to your MIDI Tracks.

Posted : 08/11/2016 4:58 pm

How do I block Port 2?

Posted : 08/11/2016 5:44 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm sort of interested in this port 2 discussion as well - since my understanding was that port 2 was not implemented and therefore the 0xFA, 0xFB, and 0xFC commands would be received through port-1 (and currently ignored on port 2?).

The ports are labeled as MONTAGE-1 (port 1), MONTAGE-2 (port 2), MONTAGE-3 (port 3).

My interpretation of the statement is that if you send remote control messages through port 2 that this would, by nature, block MIDI notes from sounding because port 2 doesn't route to the tone generator. Again, I didn't think it routed to anything - including the remote control stuff - but I haven't tried it myself.

I'll go ahead and try now.

1) I'm restarting MIDI OX because apparently it crashes easily if left alone for a while (under Windows 10 - some claim it's fine under Win 7)
2) Options -> MIDI devices: changed output/input to MONTAGE-2 (port 2)
3) View -> Sysex ... : Entered "FA" into command window
4) Command Window -> Send Scratchpad (this sends the "FA" - so I can see in my output window the start
TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
00016460 MOX 4 FA -- -- -- --- Start

This didn't do anything

5) Options -> MIDI devices: changed output/input to MONTAGE-1 (port 1)
6) Repeated 3-4

Didn't do anything (forehead slap) - my record buffer is empty - so pressing play on the physical keyboard doesn't do anything either.

7) Recorded something in the buffer - repeat steps 2-6 again.

Result (after placing data in the record buffer):

MONTAGE-2 (steps 2-4) did not respond to the MIDI messages (0xFA, 0xFB, 0xFC)
MONTAGE-1 (steps 5-6) did respond to the MIDI messages (0xFA, 0xFB, 0xFC)

Still scratching my head a bit what MONTAGE-2 would be used for at the moment. Although it would apply to the Motif.

Posted : 08/11/2016 6:59 pm

Jason, preferences->control surfaces->bypass all control surfaces worked for the time being. I will need control surfaces to be operational later..

Posted : 11/11/2016 5:15 pm
Bad Mister

I will need control surfaces to be operational later..

Simply avoid sending those commands (Control Surface commands) to the Montage.

The commands that communicate Remote Control Surface are MIDI events. Some are on/off switches (0 or 127) others use continuos values 0 thru 127, etc. so if there are messages coming from somewhere and are merged to Port 1, the Montage will respond by playing notes, or changing values. Currently, the Montage is not active on Port 2, so it must be that you maybe sending Remote Control messages merged to Port 1.

I'm sorry, I don't know Logic well enough to tell you how. But the remote control commands need to be NOT sent or echoed on Montage Port 1.

This is just an educated guess as why you are getting sounds from transport button clicks in the DAW. These messages should not be sent on Port 1. If they are, you can understand how a Note-on message could be used for "Play", and a different Note-on message could be used for a "Stop" command. Remote Control messages are just MIDI Commands re-tasked.

So there will be a way to set the Port number for the transport messages from Logic Pro... make sure it is not Montage-1.

Posted : 11/11/2016 6:46 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

My understanding is that the Logic transport commands have MIDI associated with them. I think you can "clear out" MIDI so some commands are only under PC keyboard control and do not make their way back to MIDI-connected hardware since not all hardware supports all commands. The Yamaha Montage is one of these beasts with very limited set supported.

I would leave the commands that are supported sending MIDI commands (stop, start, continue, position). Record isn't one of them - so I'd delete out the MIDI command for that one along with any of the rest that are not supported.

The other suggestion is to direct this train (the transport train) to switch "tracks" (I'm using a railroad analogy - not MIDI tracks) and send the train over a cliff. This is one way to handle the original issue. MONTAGE-2, since it's currently "dead weight" at the moment represents sending MIDI over the cliff since MIDI sent here will have no impact/response.

However, I would probably look more into rooting out (dentistry analogy now) the problem data by removing it (the MIDI message) from the Logic transport command since each command appears to be completely configurable. And leave all of these still routed out MONTAGE-1 so I could use stop/start/continue/and position. This is not suggesting you necessarily do it this way - you may not feel a limited number of controls is worth the trouble.

Posted : 13/11/2016 11:13 am
Topic starter

Jason, this is very helpful and very informative.

On another issue, I have a Motu 828mk3 Hybrid audio sound card and its Cuemix FX software application all of a sudden stopped launching. It flashes on-screen then disappears. I launched the console to see what system messages appear when Cuemix FX software launches. At a glance, can you suggest what the problem may be?

System Console message:

1/10/16 11:44:08.618 PM CueMix FX[65275]: Error loading /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPROHDAudio: dlopen(/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPROHDAudio, 262): Symbol not found: __keymgr_get_per_thread_data
Referenced from: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin/Contents/MacOS/DVCPROHDAudio
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

1/10/16 11:44:08.618 PM CueMix FX[65275]: Cannot find function pointer NewPlugIn for factory C5A4CE5B-0BB8-11D8-9D75-0003939615B6 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0xb5a650 (bundle, not loaded)

1/10/16 11:44:09.990 PM mDNSResponder[48]: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 00007FC30200C760 Terance-Taggarts-Mac-Pro.local. (AAAA) that's already in the list
1/10/16 11:44:09.990 PM mDNSResponder[48]: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 00007FC30200CBF0 9.3.F.9.8.A.E.F.F.F.0.6.D.C.2.7.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.8.E.F.ip6.arpa. (PTR) that's already in the list

1/10/16 11:44:09.990 PM mDNSResponder[48]: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 00007FC304008B60 Terance-Taggarts-Mac-Pro.local. (Addr) that's already in the list

1/10/16 11:44:09.990 PM mDNSResponder[48]: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 00007FC304008FF0 6.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) that's already in the list
1/10/16 11:44:10.405 PM WindowServer[3659]: CGXGetConnectionProperty: Invalid connection 110395

Please advise.

Posted : 14/11/2016 5:42 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm not going to be much help with Apple - it's not my environment.

The error log DNS is a network thing - so that's not very interesting to me unless this application somehow requires the network.

The earlier messages about missing symbols in the OS seems to be that either an update pulled the rug out from under the application that isn't working any more, there was some corruption (not likely), or you've installed a completely new level of the OS since the last time you ran Cuemix FX.

This is a MOTU targeted question - they do have a support forum.

Using a search engine, I find:

You're not alone (unless this is you)
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61237
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2539686?start=0&tstart=0
http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79188
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1255903?start=0&tstart=0
https://lists.cs.princeton.edu/pipermail/chuck-users/2008-March/002752.html
https://processing.org/discourse/beta/num_1231262368.html

I didn't really find any "silver bullet" answers for you.

Posted : 14/11/2016 6:56 pm

Thanks Jason. I've been back and forth with Motu's support team and they had no answers. I will keep trying.

Posted : 14/11/2016 10:32 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us