Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Voices

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Does the montage have voices that will allow me to duplicate the synth/keyboard intro to Elton John's "Funeral For A Friend"? I love this song, and want to get as close as possible to the original sound

Posted : 12/06/2016 4:33 pm
david
Reputable Member

Shhhhh! BM will go into a fit of rage over usage of the term "Voices". 🙂 Montage only has performances or parts that make up a performance (whispering). I just saved your skin. 😉 Don't use an incorrect word such as "Hoist" either or it can really get ugly around here.

Posted : 12/06/2016 5:58 pm
Topic starter

So basically, you don't know

Posted : 13/06/2016 6:32 am
Bad Mister

Does the montage have voices that will allow me to duplicate the synth/keyboard intro to Elton John's "Funeral For A Friend"? I love this song, and want to get as close as possible to the original sound

Hi Scott, that iconic intro was originally done on a ARP synthesizer. You will find several sounds that will recreate this timbre in Montage. Synth Programmer, David Polich, (DCP) one of the programmer's of Montage, has recreated many classic rock synth sounds. You may want to reach out to him because I know he will know all the exact details and which sounds to use for which parts.
We'll see if we can get him to weigh in...

Posted : 13/06/2016 12:25 pm
Topic starter

Is David on this forum? I'd love to talk to him!

Posted : 13/06/2016 11:49 pm
Topic starter

DAVID POLICH !!!!! ARE YOU ON THIS FORUM???

Posted : 14/06/2016 12:01 am

Yes here I am. Late to the party, but I'm here.
Regarding the question of the "exact" sounds for "Funeral for a Friend", or any
"exact" sounds for a certain hit song, the answer to whether those exist in the Montage
is "no". Are they available in any of my own libraries for Motif? No.

Can you find performances similar to the sounds you want to get in Montage? Probably.
You have to have at least some idea of what those sounds are - the sweeping opening
sound for FFAF is obviously an analog synth brass sound, I think it was a Yamaha CS80, actually.
The player held down the chord and then swept the filter cutoff knob at the same time he
"swelled" with the volume pedal. So for this sound, you would search the "brass"
category and then look for "synth brass". Any performance that sounds like "Jump" would
be a good starting point.

Posted : 14/06/2016 2:45 pm
Topic starter

Thanks! I know the wind blowing part will be a challenge, but I'm thinking the organs could come close altering some of the sounds the montage has... I'll play with in awhile

Posted : 18/06/2016 4:32 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us