Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Motion Seq, is there a slew or some kind of smoothing between steps ?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Chris
Topic starter

In this video I have noticed some horrible artifacts between steps. I know you can get clicks and pops with analogue too under certain circumstances, but on some of these modulation waves, I would of thought it should be a smooth transition between steps. Obviously once you have reverb and/or compression on these artifacts they will make a patch unusable. I remember giving up on Rolands SH-32 because as well as tracking issues, the sampled oscillators used to click and pop too. Is this a short coming of sampled oscillators ? Or just something to do with the wave start point? I notice even my Blofeld will do this in unison modes and that is VA tech.

Anybody clear up what's going on in this video because it sounds nasty, starts at 8:20

Link is video doesn't insert, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zcFMro4Q7c

Edit : actually I just noticed there is a 'smooth' parameter he mentions as part of the encoder defaults , but doesn't seem to get rid of the glitchy get between steps, can anybody confirm it does ?

Posted : 12/06/2016 11:13 am
Bad Mister

Yes, there is actually a parameter called "smooth" and there is "amplitude", and others, the idea is it is a synth, to demonstrate is often to exaggerate to make sure the majority of listeners hear what your talking about. The reason it is adjustable is so the programmer can dial it into a useable setting. Just like the speed of the LFO goes well into the audible range, why? Because it's a synthesizer... Not that some wouldn't consider it "nasty" vibrato, it's up to you to program it to do what you require.

The steppy sound is at one extreme and might be just what the doctor ordered in another scenario. But SMOOTH does just what you would think.

Posted : 12/06/2016 3:36 pm
Chris
Topic starter

I agree, what is nasty FM modulation on an OSc and glitching to some is a nice bit crusher effect to others. However ther are some behaviours in synths that obstruct a lot of patches however you want to paint it.

Sounds as if the smooth function should do the job, I'll have to test one in person.

Posted : 12/06/2016 5:58 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us