Clear all

Wav File Drops Out

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 John
Topic starter

Wav File Drops Out (Stops on its own)

I have assigned a Wav file (with drums and bass) to one Part of my Performance – using Init Drum and Phil’s setup steps that were outlined on 6/27/16. The Wav file is 5 minutes long and I use the Hold setting to play the full length of the file. I also added two Parts to the Performance (using Init AWM2 for both parts) Vibraphone MotorOn and More Shade (an organ). The Wav file does not drop out when playing the Vibraphone. The Wav file does drop out when playing the More Shade Part – specifically when holding six keys down at a time. Also, the Wav file will not start up when holding down 3 or more keys of the More Shade Part.

I have the same Drop Out problem with a different Performance and different Wav file (4 minutes long). There is not a drop out problem with the FM Roads Part but, the Wav file will drop out when holding down multiple keys with either the Gospel to Reggae Part or the Strings & Choir Part. Although, the Strings & Choir Part does not drop out a quickly as the Gospel to Reggae Part.

Is there a limit to the number of different elements being played at the same time that stops my Wav file?

Is anyone having a similar problem with Wav Files dropping out?

Thanks in advance,
John

Posted : 16/08/2016 7:18 pm
Bad Mister

My question for you is... Does the data you are attempting to playback stop on its own, or only when you are also playing the keyboard?

You say it stops on its own, but then you give examples that you are also playing the keys. I ask because not just any audio file makes a good Waveform. There is a silence detection algorithm in place that will end playback if dead air is detected. So, if you don't play the keys, does the audio play all the way through or does it stop on its own?

Posted : 17/08/2016 5:53 am

Can this algorithm be turned off? I use backing tracks extensively, and a lot of them have long periods of silence.

Posted : 17/08/2016 2:45 pm
Bad Mister

It's not a user programmable function. If you opt to place your sample in a drum kit, the rules of the drum kit AEG apply. Drum sounds behave differently from so called, normal musical sounds when it comes to envelope. A piano, organ, guitar, string or brass sound all behave so that typically you hit and hold the key for duration of the note you want to play. A whole note in 4/4 means to hold the sound for four beats. Drums however, can ignore note-off so that the entire sound can be made to play without you having to hold down a key. This necessarily means there has to be a 'silence detection' function working working in the background so that notes don't just keep using polyphony indefinitely. Drum Kit Keys are ideal for audio clips that loops, they need to cued up so audio begins on the Note-on, and as mentioned do not have dead silence in them. No big problem if your audio doesn't work in a drum kit waveform... Just means you will need to program note duration to reserve playback.

If you have a backing tracks with long periods of silence, simply use a normal AWM2 waveform for your data, setup an organ envelope and match the Note-On event's Gate time to trigger the audio to the duration you need.

Posted : 17/08/2016 5:49 pm
 John
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

My question for you is... Does the data you are attempting to playback stop on its own, or only when you are also playing the keyboard?

You say it stops on its own, but then you give examples that you are also playing the keys. I ask because not just any audio file makes a good Waveform. There is a silence detection algorithm in place that will end playback if dead air is detected. So, if you don't play the keys, does the audio play all the way through or does it stop on its own?

The Wav file stopping on it's own is not a correct statement. The Wav file will stop only when I am playing the keyboard and when I hold down 5 + keys at the same time for the parts (sounds) listed above. The Wav files (backing tracks) do not have any dead air in them. If I let the audio play all the way through it does not stop on its own.

Posted : 18/08/2016 12:14 am
Bad Mister

The is always a limit to how many Elements can happen simultaneously (AWM2 is 128 stereo notes of polyphony) and depending on what you are doing in your programming, if your not paying attention, you can exceed the limits. There is probably a more efficient way to accomplish what you are attempting to do. Are you using muting or simply fading unused Parts to zero?

The Multiple Part factory Performances are not just simple layers of Parts, they take advantage of the synthesizers ability to bring in Elements and remove Elements through motion control, velocity switching, note limits, and Element articulation control. And through this detailed mapping, the allocation of polyphony is used artfully. If you simply activate multiple 8 Element Parts simultaneously you can see how quickly you can run yourself right out of polyphony. Learn to create sounds with just the zelements you need.

Building your own custom Performances can be tricky at first. Have you taken a close look at how many Elements are sounding at once when you play the keyboard... How many show MIDI activity in the HOME screen view?

We would need to take a closer look at the exact program/merge of PARTs to tell you exactly what is going on. Are you connected to anything via USB or MIDI? If this does not happen when you are using FM-X this is clearly points to it being a polyphony allocation issue. However, there are other things that can be the cause . But start by thinning the use of so many Elements.

Posted : 18/08/2016 7:37 am
 John
Topic starter

Bad Mister thank you for your information regarding Wave File Drop Out. I have started to look into the number of elements being played at once as you suggested on one of my performances. The performance has four parts: 1) FM Roads, 2) Gospel to Reggae, 3) Strings & Choir and 4) Wav file with my drums and bass. All parts have been set up with the INIT steps including the special steps for the Wav File that you have suggested in the past.

I have created three scenes: Each scene includes the drums / bass and one other part; the other two parts are muted per scene. I have no drop out problems playing the FM Roads Scene or the Strings & Choir scene. I do have a drop out problem with the Gospel to Reggae scene when I am holding 5+ keys for a period of time. Unfortunately, the amount of time before the drums / bass drops out varies and is not consistent. The Gospel to Reggae part has 8 elements playing at a time. I have muted 2 of these elements and that reduces the drop out problem but, does not eliminate it. I do eliminate the Wav File drop outs when playing only 4 notes at a time or using 5 notes for only a brief period of time.

On this performance, I am not connected to USB or MIDI.

So is it possible that this one part, with 8 elements, plus one Wave File causes a polyphony problem – or does this suggest another problem? Where do I see the MIDI activity on the Performance Home Screen that you wanted me to check out?

Thanks, John K

Posted : 18/08/2016 6:02 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us