Weird behavior when Importing Performance in User Bank

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Fred
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello,

I've met a quite weird issue when importing a Library into User space.
It is an Easy Sounds Library, working perfectly well.
When I try to import it into User Space, I've got the message "No Data". I've been able to identify that one Performance only is the cause of this message. It's impossible to import it.
So I gave a look at this Performance, it is a single part performance with 3 elements. Each element has its own Waveform wich is loaded and audible. I haven't seen a problem with the Performance wich plays perfectly well.
So I don't understand wjhy it is impossible to import it. I must add that all the other performances of this library are well imported.

Do you have any idea of this issue ?

Thank you.

Posted : 06/01/2023 5:10 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

Have you checked to see how much free space you have left in User Memory? Maybe there isn't enough left to import all the Performances to User Memory!? Perhaps that one Performance you identified has the largest waveforms!?

I experienced an issue a few months back trying to do a 'Library Import' of the "Another One Bites" Performance in 'Narf Favorite Covers Set 5', but I didn't receive any errors. What tipped me off that it wasn't working is that the Performance in that library has 3 custom waveforms, yet when I imported it, it was immediate, as quick as just saving a Performance, which is essentially what it was doing & wasn't importing the waveforms into user memory.

I got Yamaha support to check that Library and they said that the entire Library contained a total of 83 unused waveforms, only 6 six were active in the Performances. Once the 83 unused waveforms were deleted the import seemed to work properly when they tested. I tested the same and that had fixed the issue, which I could tell right away during the import, as it was taking around 7 seconds to complete instead of instantaneously. On follow-up with Yamaha Support they said that the cause was that one of the samples in that original library file was corrupted, and it was one of the samples that wasn’t being used in any of the Performances.

Not sure if that helps, as there were no errors with my issue & the Performance did get saved to User memory...it just pointed back to the waveforms in the library instead of importing the waveforms to user memory and pointing to those ones!

Posted : 06/01/2023 7:25 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you share the Library name and Performance you see an import with then perhaps others with the same Library can test and compare notes.

Posted : 06/01/2023 7:33 pm
Prominent Member

I've met a quite weird issue when importing a Library into User space.
It is an Easy Sounds Library, working perfectly well.
When I try to import it into User Space, I've got the message "No Data". I've been able to identify that one Performance only is the cause of this message. It's impossible to import it.

Your issue sounds identical to a "NO DATA" issue discussed, and answered, 6 years ago by Peter Krischker, the founder of EASY SOUNDS:
https://yamahasynth.com/forum/easy-sound-libraries-for-montage#reply-9683

I am a member of the Yamaha Voicing Team since decades. My biggest job was the participation in the MONTAGE Voicing project for the last two years.
Also for decades I run my own shop Download Shop EASY SOUNDS.

I would like to give some more informations about the MONTAGE soundlibraries produced by EASY SOUNDS.
. . .
I had to make a small update of the MONTAGE versions of Nature of Chill and Phat Analog, because there were problems in case of a few voices. If voices are using assignments of user arps, which are no more available, the error message "No Data" appears if you try to import them.
Now we removed the useless user arpeggio assignments and uploaded a new version.
If you purchased the products before June 22 you should repeat the download, which should be still available. If not please send me a mail.

Peter Krischker
pkrischker@easysounds.de
http://www.easysounds.de
https://www.youtube.com/user/motifnews

Maybe you have an older version of a library he mentions in his replies or maybe you have a new library with a similar problem. If so EASY SOUNDS would want to now about it.

You may want to contact EASY SOUNDS, or Peter himself. to alert them to the problem.

FYI - an internet search for 'yamaha montage easy sounds "no data"' had the above link as the very first result.

Posted : 06/01/2023 8:19 pm
 Fred
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you all for your answers.
Indeed, I think that I have an old version of Phat Analog because it seems to match the Peter's issue description.
I have deleted all libraries but this one. So there was far enough space memory. And the issues remained the same.
I have never had any problem with the Easy Sounds sounds banks.
So I will contact Peter to get the right version.
Thanks

Posted : 07/01/2023 5:59 pm
 Fred
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello,

Of course I could ask Peter for a new version of this library, but I would like to identify the problem. This could increase my knowledge of the Montage.
Thinking of the Peter's caution, I still have a question : if some User Arps are no more available, why these Performance do work well from Library ?
I believed that the Import command copied ALL the Performance Datas in User space ? So normally, it should copy all ARP datas too ? Don't you think ?
Perhaps, there is something I haven't undrestand in the Montage architecture ?

There are two other points :
1) This time (after cleaning user memory) its another Performance which make "No Data" message (and the former one is working well !!
2) Watching each part containing arps, it uses Preset arps only. So there is no reason why it should not load

I'm a bit lost in all this stuff !!

Thanks a lot.

Posted : 08/01/2023 9:19 am
Prominent Member

Thinking of the Peter's caution, I still have a question : if some User Arps are no more available, why these Performance do work well from Library ?

It is likely to be a waveform issue as discussed in the link.

Libraries INCLUDE all objects needed for the performance they contain. Since the library will contain the needed waveforms a performance from a library will generally play normally.

When you edit a performance in a library and look at the arp the waveform info shown will have a 'bank' that references the library.

One reason they would not play from a library is if the waveform uses a format that the Montage/Modx can't play.

I believed that the Import command copied ALL the Performance Datas in User space ? So normally, it should copy all ARP datas too ? Don't you think ?

The 'Library Import' command doesn't just 'copy' objects from the library. It must also change the references to point to the user area if needed.

For library waveforms whose bank is the library (not a Montage/Modx preset) it may also need to decompress the waveform and/or convert it to a format suitable for the user area.

The format compatibility is a common issue. If the library waveform format isn't compatible with the needed user area format you will get a 'NO DATA' problem.

Preset Waveforms use a Yamaha proprietary compression scheme. User waveforms do NOT, and cannot, use that scheme. If you copied a preset waveform to the user area you would find it might be MUCH larger.

The above is just one possible cause of your problem but I think it is the most likely.

Posted : 09/01/2023 1:23 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us