Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Which Computer DAW/s are you using your Montage with ?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Tarek
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,

Thanks,
Tarek

Posted : 17/08/2016 6:37 pm
Scott

Hi Tarek. I do most of my recording on a hardware digital audio recorder, but when I use a DAW it's Reaper. Been my go-to DAW for quite a while now.

Posted : 17/08/2016 6:52 pm
Walter

Tarek wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,
Tarek

I use Sonar Platinum and love it! I had thought of using Cubase but it required a dongle and I don't do dongles, so 70s!

Walt

Posted : 17/08/2016 8:42 pm
Craig

Cubase 8.5 on both Ivy Bridge E workstation and Skylake i7 laptop. Easy to move the eLicenser.

Posted : 17/08/2016 8:52 pm
Steve

Scott,
How well does the Montage cooperate with Reaper? I've been curious about Reaper

Posted : 17/08/2016 8:55 pm
Kiwi
 Kiwi

Craig wrote:

Cubase 8.5 on both Ivy Bridge E workstation and Skylake i7 laptop. Easy to move the eLicenser.

Craig, I'm currently looking to get a new setup for the DAW (currently using Cubase AI, Reaper).
I'm divided between a laptop or mini tower solution.
Care to share the particulars on your laptop's specs/configurations and performance thus far?

Thank you.

Posted : 17/08/2016 11:43 pm
Scott

Steve wrote:

Scott,
How well does the Montage cooperate with Reaper? I've been curious about Reaper

With the little I have done.. so far so good. When I get more into it I'll post an update.

But....... You can download and try it out free for a 60 day eval. It's not a "lite" version, either. It's a fully functional version. So give it whirl - you've got nothing to lose.

Posted : 18/08/2016 12:06 am
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi friends,
I use Cubase 8.5 on a asus commputer, windows 10, I7 and 12 Go of memory.
I use a Steinberg CC121 as controler and an UR22 as sound card.

Posted : 18/08/2016 8:18 am
Craig

Kiwi wrote:

Craig wrote:

Craig, I'm currently looking to get a new setup for the DAW (Cubase AI, Reaper).
Care to share the particulars on your laptop's specs/configurations and performance thus far?

Thank you.

Both do well and you should max out the RAM if possible.

The Ivy Bridge E is an Asus X79 WS with the CEB motherboard form factor (WIN7 PRO). 4930K liquid cooled and overclocked to 4.25 GHz and extremely stable. That mobo is quad RAM and there's 64 GB of Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133. This also is my video editing and rendering box. Very low latency and rock solid performance.

Laptop is Dell 5559 (WIN 10 PRO) with Skylake 6500U i7, 16 GB ram (maxed) and 1 TB SSD. Very low latency with plug ins and audio rendering.

I have the Steinberg UR22+ and UR28. Best of both worlds for in house and session working.

Which one, depends on your primary need of mobility or the flexibility of a tower. Skylake laptops are pretty fast for DAW, so you can probably do well with an under $1K laptop if you shop around. I am quoting US dollars here.

Do your research and decide for yourself, but either way is fine for DAW.

All the best,

Craig

Posted : 18/08/2016 2:42 pm
Kiwi
 Kiwi

Craig wrote:

Kiwi wrote:

Craig wrote:

Craig, I'm currently looking to get a new setup for the DAW (Cubase AI, Reaper).

Thank you.

Both do well and you should max out the RAM if possible.

The Ivy Bridge E is an Asus X79 WS with the CEB motherboard form factor (WIN7 PRO). 4930K liquid cooled and overclocked to 4.25 GHz and extremely stable. That mobo is quad RAM and there's 64 GB of Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133. This also is my video editing and rendering box. Very low latency and rock solid performance.

Laptop is Dell 5559 (WIN 10 PRO) with Skylake 6500U i7, 16 GB ram (maxed) and 1 TB SSD. Very low latency with plug ins and audio rendering.

I have the Steinberg UR22+ and UR28. Best of both worlds for in house and session working.

Which one, depends on your primary need of mobility or the flexibility of a tower. Skylake laptops are pretty fast for DAW, so you can probably do well with an under $1K laptop if you shop around. I am quoting US dollars here.

Do your research and decide for yourself, but either way is fine for DAW.

All the best,

Craig

Thanks Craig!

Posted : 18/08/2016 10:43 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us