Notifications
Clear all

Why can´t the MONTAGE save separate userfiles

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I`m only able to save all userfiles. But what to do if i only want to save / load USER1 ? I can use John Melas tool ...

Posted : 06/10/2018 9:05 pm
Bad Mister

I`m only able to save all userfiles. But what to do if i only want to save / load USER1 ? I can use John Melas tool ...

Im sorry, what is “USER1”

Are you referring to a Bank or just one Performance?

“MONTAGE CONNECT” is a (free) computer utility (Windows/Mac) that allows you bulk dump individual Performances to and from your MONTAGE.
“Soundmondo” is an iOS app (iPad, iPhone) that allows you to bulk dump individual Performances to and from your MONTAGE. It can be run on Android devices using the Chrome internet browser. Or it can run on a computer using Chrome.

The User Bank is extremely efficient, if you have stored but 1 Performances, that will be the size of your User Bank File. If you created 640 Performances that will be the size of your User Bank File. Unlike the Motif XF which always saved 512 Voices...because every slot contained some data.

The MONTAGE User Bank is initial empty (0/640 locations occupied). The MONTAGE only saves the exact number of Performances you have created to the User File .X7U

Posted : 06/10/2018 10:56 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'd have to take a closer look - but maybe JM tools use USER1 - USER5 designations. USER1 would represent the 1st 128 user Performances, USER2 the second set of 128 and so on.

This is more of a programming construct than it is a save-file construct. You, the keyboard player, no longer need to be concerned about which range within a user bank (1st 128, 2nd 128, etc) a Performance exists. There's no way to load just the 2nd or just the 5th 128 User Performances from a save file (X7U).

USER1 is not a different file than USER2. It's just a label JM places on the 1st 128 vs. the 2nd 128. Montage itself does not use these designations within the keyboard's own interface. The labels likely help JM more than any general user.

Posted : 07/10/2018 4:29 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

While I was working with JM tools I thought that he created the same architecture in his software as the MONTAGE uses.
The idea was using the MONTAGE for homestudio and the MODX for my band.
In the homestudio I normally use more performances as in the band. So it would be useful to save the performances for the band for example in user1 ( 128 ) and only exchange them.

Posted : 07/10/2018 7:25 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The reason why he would use USER1-USER5 is because when changing Performances by using MSB/LSB+PC, the data listing shows you can access 128 performances at a time (PC=0 through 127). In order to access every Performance available (640 total) you need 640/128 = 5 different sets of 128. Therefore, in order to index these - you change the LSB for each of the sets of 128 (1-5). MSB happens to be the same for each.

This doesn't mean anything to the user. Montage only allows saving all of the user memory into a single file (up to 640 total Performances - or as little as zero Performances). If you only want to load 128 at a time - you need to load everything and delete all but 128 - then save that file. Save a different set of 128 in yet another file. Every time you load X7U files into the user area, it wipes the user area clean first. There is no command to accumulate (add to the user area) EXCEPT when importing from a Library. If you really wanted to accumulate different sets of 128 - you would have to use the same method of saving different collections of 128 Performances to X7U (or X7L) - then load these into Library slots first - then import all Performances from each library to the user area. Then the libraries can be removed.

Again, this concept of 128 does not reflect banks or imply Montage can load just 128 at a time. It loads everything in the user/library file. If you want to load only 128 - the library or user file needs to have 128. Then you have to "shuffle" if you want to merge multiple sets of 128 together.

Get to know your filesystem - user and library area. Then think if there's an organization of saving your content that works best for your keyboard in both the studio and band contexts.

Do you run out of resources so you absolutely cannot have both the studio and band content loaded on Montage at the same time? And use libraries + user as a means to organize the data so you can easily find what you need?

There are lots of ways to organize the data. Performance name is one way. Live Set is another way. Bank is another way (Library slots vs user area). Tagging with "Favorites" is another way. Changing the Performance Main and Sub category tag is another way.

Posted : 07/10/2018 8:01 am
Stefan

BTW: I would recommend getting the John Melas Waveform editor. It is really a great way to organize performances. You can pick performances, move them around, delete performances etc. This is even true for moving performances between libraries. And you can select where the according waveforms should be, you can remove duplicate waveforms automatically. This handling of waveforms is probably why the performance handling is part of it.

And yes, as the name implies, on top of all that you can also create and edit waveforms (it is a sample editor) :-). Personally, I really mostly use the organizing capabilities for performances because they allow me to shuffle things around like I need which was a missing critical piece to the Montage (and now MODX which is also supported).

Posted : 07/10/2018 10:37 am
Bad Mister

While I was working with JM tools I thought that he created the same architecture in his software as the MONTAGE uses.
The idea was using the MONTAGE for homestudio and the MODX for my band.
In the homestudio I normally use more performances as in the band. So it would be useful to save the performances for the band for example in user1 ( 128 ) and only exchange them.

That you can do.

Initially your USER area is blank 0/640 and yes that is 5 sets of 128.
128 is the MIDI specification limit for instrument Lists.
There are 5 sets of 128.

The MONTAGE User File can easily contain your 128... the Performance folder will show 128/640
Create one each for your situations... load them when you require.

Posted : 07/10/2018 2:07 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us