Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Why is there a delay/echo when i use the note repeat function?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
John
 John
Topic starter

I am trying to achieve a repeating note with no delay or echo in it. Whenever I assign the beat repeat function to a key in a drum program there is latency and echo and delay that isn't associated with Cubase. It sounds like a filter parameter but I have tinkered with the settings and haven't found a way to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

Posted : 08/02/2017 11:37 pm
Bad Mister

The question is very unclear... "a repeating note without a delay" is an oxymoron, an impossibility. Taking a wild guess at what you could possibly mean, check the Dry/Wet balance... if it is all Wet, you will not hear the original note. Try again and provide more info, if you can.

Beat Repeat is an Effect that captures 1 beat referencing the current tempo. "Note Repeat" as you mention in your topic title would be a completely different Effect. Just FYI.

Posted : 09/02/2017 6:14 pm
John
 John
Topic starter

Basically I am trying to achieve the same effect as the note repeat function on the MPC. When the note repeat function is active you simply hold down a pad and the sample will repeat in tempo to whatever quantization you have set, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc until you let go and then the repetition stops. The beat repeat effect on the Montage seems to have that capability I'm just not sure how to set it up properly. I already played around with all the paremeters inside of the beat repeat effect (dry/wet balance etc) and haven't had any luck. Is there is another way to achieve the effect of a note repeat in this context? I'm not sure that the way I'm going about it is correct. Is there anther path I should take to achieve this outside of the beat repeat function?

Posted : 10/02/2017 12:33 am
Bad Mister

Sorry, but the Beat Repeater in the Montage is not at all like the Note repeat function in an MPC. The Montage does not have the same feature.

The Beat Repeater allows you to capture the time segment, 1 Beat. It does this capturing the audio of one complete beat referencing the current Tempo. You can "Freeze" (capture) that time slice, and then Effect the repeating result by changing its playback speed, pitch, attack time, Release Time etc., etc., in ever changing ways. Very, very different from holding a Pad on an MPC and having the instrument spit out a string of note-on at a specific velocity... very different. Sorry.

Use the Beat Repeater for something else. The Montage does not have an MPC-like note-on repeater.

Posted : 10/02/2017 2:54 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Note repeat is more of a function of the DAW for Montage. I don't think Cubase has this as a built-in function although Logic did add note repeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij78t9FiHmw

I found a video of another user who seemed to setup a template in Cubase to emulate/approximate note repeat results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpMTfcBAIjk

Seems like groove agent can get you note repeat for Cubase in a more elaborate / targeted way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyqvocfFHug

The above tutorial is more centered around internal sounds and not targeting external hardware - so modifying to target Montage would be a slight change. In other words, the video isn't showing exactly how to use it with Montage - but just is an example that note repeat is a function of this plugin.

... shows Ableton using the arpeggio function to get a note repeat function
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHCpmmPpaF4

I've seen some discussion of using an ARP feature in Cubase for note repeat although I haven't yet dug up a tutorial.

... Fruity loops note repeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzOVH3AH3s

Non-cubase videos really just to show some context in "DAW land" of what's available out there and to paint some of what the OP is trying to do in the first place.

Posted : 10/02/2017 7:29 am

I was just looking for this function on Montage, for creating user ARPs with Montage drum parts. So - I see as this thread discusses the Beat Repeater effect is an audio effect on Montage- so you are routing performance audio data through the insert effect to get the beat repeat - that should work right? with drums or whatever.
I use Ableton Live with Montage a lot - and it works great once you get synchronizing the Montage with Ableton - (this is a separate topic, but suffice it to say, Montage MIDI resolution is set at 480ppq - which I believe is unchangeable, and Ableton Live is set at 96ppq..)
now, for Beat Repeat - as Bad Mister pointed out, a Note On Beat Repeat (called Note Repeat on MPC Renaissance) is exactly that , it works on the midi data.
to do that type of thing in Ableton, Ableton has a Beat Repeat audio plugin, so, you add Ableton's beat repeat 'plugin' to an existing audio track... however as someone has pointed out on using Ableton's Impulse drum machine, you load Impulse on an Ableton Midi track, and then load the beat repeat plugin AFTER it, so it's working on the 'audio output' of Impulse...and then you Midi map (or computer keyboard) a button, or I suppose you could map a rotary knob controller like one on Montage, and then when you need the beat repeat in your drum pattern, you crank that knob and wella...beat repeat city..
as for the Montage - what I just found out works great - is Ableton's Push (1) hardware controller. If you setup a midi track in Ableton and send the midi output of the track to Montage- you can then use the Push hardware to create midi note beat repeats with the Montage drum part in realtime. it works awesome. The one question I have now, is can I record that midi data into a track in Ableton, and the 'export' that midi as a new User Arp on Montage?? Would be cool. 🙂

Posted : 30/03/2017 12:49 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us