Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Would I be happy letting go of my beloved Yamaha ES8 and going MODX?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello! I'm 58 years old and have owned my Yamaha ES8 for as long as I can remember. I love that keyboard more than I can say. It is packed with memories of many years of sonic bliss. It's a true beast in every good sense of the word.

Time passes quickly friends. Two years ago, I ended up having to buy a dolly to haul the keyboard around because it's just not manageable for me anymore due to the bulkiness and the weight. To be fair, I probably needed that dolly 10 years ago to be perfectly honest. My question for you all is, is it time to go MODX? I am looking for:

1. Lighter weight and bulk. Sometimes just the thought of hauling out the ES8 makes me say no to potentially playing out live. And if there is any slight hint of ice between my car and the gig, ugh...

2. Sounds! I use the Yamaha ES as basically my lead machine in a two keyboard setup. My other keyboard is a really nice stage piano. Think smooth leads circa 70's-80's fusion jazz. Yep, I'm stuck in that era. I feel no need to leave it. 70's-80's fusion jazz didn't have enough time in history, and by ^%#$ I'm here to keep the candle lit. Give me a kick-ass groove, a couple of chord changes, and here comes the searing synth lead...

Given what I have described, if it's a resounding yes to go MODX for the reasons stated above, would you recommend going 7 or 8? I do indeed keep grounded on my stage piano as a basis for the type of music I like to make. I am used to the ES8 key bed, but I could certainly use advice as to whether the 7's key bed would make a really fun lead machine.

Thanks in advance for your advice! Everyone please stay safe and healthy in these trying times. With all the craziness in the world right now, life is indeed precious and it's a fantastic time in history to be a musician!

Posted : 15/02/2021 11:53 pm
Antony
Estimable Member

To add some perspective...

I have a MODX7.

It is maybe 2 or 3lbs heavier than my Gibson Les Paul Custom in its case.

I got the Yamaha MODX7 gig bag also, which weighs nothing.

Hopefully this lets you picture how much weight you'll be carrying up the stairs to the gig.

I have a guitar fx pedalboard that weighs more than the MODX7.

Some more food for thought...

- The MODX7 makes the same sounds as the Montage.
- Who says you have to sell the ES8? Make it the centrepiece of a home Studio (that's what your Garage/Spare Bedroom is really for 😉 )
- You'll probably be 60 by the time you've absorbed the MODX/MONTAGE User Manuals... lol. But it will blow your socks off.

Posted : 16/02/2021 10:13 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I came from a MO6 - little brother to the ES series. I liked it. Not all of my Performances/Voices I created in the ES-era were "plug and play". I had to redo some of them - but pretty much all of the underpinnings were there. I just had to do some manual conversion.

The ES8 is 62.4 lbs
MODX8 is 30.4 lbs

If you still want the 88 - shaving off over half the ES8 seems more carry-able.

MODX7 is 16.3 lbs -- how low can/should you go?

I like the synth action keys - you may not. It depends on how light you want to get vs. how many keys and the "feel" of the keys.

Sonically - the MODX will certainly cover ES8 territory. The general character/approach of the sounds is similar. The effects have lots of overlap. Once you start to "dig in" - despite the lack of voices and multiple modes - the MODX is made up of the same DNA and starts looking familiar from a synth setup/sound-design perspective.

If you ever played on the more recent generations (Motif XS, XF) and thought there was "more" of what you like in terms of covering the bases - the MODX will be "more, more".

I didn't really dig how the MOXF got rid of sliders - so happy those are back this gen.

One difference with MODX vs. the ES is how you call up your sounds. On the ES series I remember tapping 3 buttons then my Performance was called up. With MODX - there are not buttons for random access to the Performances. Instead, you'll need to get "in touch" with the touchscreen. This is where I elect to use Live Set. MODX gets rid of many buttons and drives you more to use the touchscreen.

Posted : 17/02/2021 7:27 am
Prominent Member

If you have any favorite sounds in the Motif ES that you're afraid you might lose, they can probably be bought over into the MODX, as long as they use only the stock Yamaha wavedata and no custom samples of your own (or third parties). e.g. see https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/converting-motf-es-sounds-to-montage

Posted : 17/02/2021 2:43 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us