Clear all

Yamaha Genos looks like everything I wanted Montage to be

46 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
11.1 K Views
david
Reputable Member

Any word on availability in the US? Dealers here don't even know this thing exists.

Posted : 19/09/2017 2:17 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Last date given is Oct 2nd. No details as to the significance of this date (launch, more teasers, or otherwise).

Posted : 19/09/2017 3:09 am
Manuel
Eminent Member

Does it have a joystick on the left side, like Roland synths?

Posted : 19/09/2017 4:44 am
 Chin

although Genos is advertised as a "digital workstation", I believe it's a replacement for the Tyros arranger keyboard. I doubt its a workstation in the Motif sense. But the rumoured specs look interesting. No point speculating. Just got to be patient. All will be revealed in good time.

But what if this is a sort of a new hybrid workstation "arranger" + "Motif workstation"??? hmm....

Posted : 19/09/2017 6:25 am
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

According to rumors, it has the upgraded MOTIF XF's sequencer. Although I prefer direct integration with Cubase sequencer as the "native sequencer" (which I haven't seen in none of Yamaha's products). The sequencer is also capable of mixing audio and midi. In addition to these, I read somewhere that it will have new AWM2 capabilities (has 3 AF buttons).

Wish Badmister could give us some idea what surprise Yamaha has prepared for us.

Posted : 20/09/2017 7:45 am
 Chin

I wonder whether Yamaha will ever make a workstation again. Or those hardware sequencers which they used to make. The recently launched Akai MPC X or LIve seems to indicate that people prefer hardware sequencers (even though DAW is much cheaper and more features). A hardware Cubase ..ha ha...ha...Might be too expensive to have a keyboard with DAW capabilities. Not sure whether we need one. Looking forward to see what Genos has to offer.

Posted : 20/09/2017 8:40 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

@A: the current schedule for unveiling parts of the surprise is:

Sep 22nd - Part 3 (first 2 parts are already unveiled at official website linked previously)
Sep 29th - Part 4
Oct 2nd - Part 5

Posted : 20/09/2017 1:59 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The latest comments from the unofficial Genos site is that the unofficial image (with no less than 5 pictures in this thread of basically the same thing) has some problems when compared with the official videos.

It seems that parts of the keyboard which were shown clearly in the video are represented more-or-less correctly in the picture. Then parts of the video which are not as clear were "fudged" -- and perhaps not quite properly.

There's a question about a joystick vs. Yamaha traditional spring-loaded pitch + non spring loaded mod wheel. There's doubts about this being represented correctly on the possibly better (also fake?) picture.

Commentary from the unofficial source (linked above):

Our thoughts on the “leaked” Genos image.

When taking a closer look, some things just don’t seem be right.
Comparing the image to the first video, the green areas look quite accurate and fully in line with Yamaha’s current elegant design style, like the Montage. But we have serious doubts about the red areas.

Top-left: this just looks messy & cheap and is absolutely not in line with the center green area. In fact, it doesn’t match any keyboard design Yamaha has released lately.
Top-right: something seem to be missing here. Just too much empty space.
Bottom-left: in the video a circle is visible, which might indicate to be a joystick. This area is quite empty compared to the video.

Posted : 20/09/2017 5:41 pm
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Chin wrote:

I wonder whether Yamaha will ever make a workstation again. Or those hardware sequencers which they used to make. The recently launched Akai MPC X or LIve seems to indicate that people prefer hardware sequencers (even though DAW is much cheaper and more features). A hardware Cubase ..ha ha...ha...Might be too expensive to have a keyboard with DAW capabilities. Not sure whether we need one. Looking forward to see what Genos has to offer.

Well by direct integration I meant for example if I could in MOTIF XF fully control the Cubase sequencer without touching the computer. Just lunch the Cubase and I could do everything from MOTIF. PC was just showing me what is going on then export the created sequence back to MOTIF for the show.

Also, Implementing an advanced sequencer wouldn't be a big deal? It's not required to load VST's. I'm looking forward to see what Genos brings.

Posted : 20/09/2017 6:27 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Just lunch the Cubase and I could do everything from MOTIF

I think this is more about transport controls than about sequencers.

Posted : 20/09/2017 7:02 pm
david
Reputable Member

My contact in the US said information was coming in on Monday the 25th I assume about pricing and pre-orders in the US.

Posted : 21/09/2017 12:37 am
david
Reputable Member

Could Yamaha have cleverly taken what was missing in Montage and put it into Genos to encourage us to buy both? Maybe.

Posted : 21/09/2017 2:35 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Tyros 5, which appears most closely related to Genos (time will tell) this gen had some features not in Montage that I'd prefer were in there. Super Articulation is the main category. However, on balance, there were lots of things an arranger has that does not fit my needs "like a glove" - so I did not invest in Tyros.

The decision to get both depends on your wants/needs and how each instrument individually meets those needs. I'm hoping for product differentiation that would keep me in the Montage camp (previous analysis still applying). It's a selfish hope that manages potential remorse for not waiting longer. Too early to tell, however. The instrument will certainly be compelling on its own merits.

Posted : 21/09/2017 6:39 am
Manuel
Eminent Member

This appeared on Facebook:

Posted : 21/09/2017 5:45 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Right - the unofficial site (linked above) also had that. Seems to put some weight on the "joystick" feature - although possible pre-production nature of this unit and other leaked material may differ from the soon-to-be-announced (official) product.

Posted : 21/09/2017 5:58 pm
Page 2 / 4
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us