46 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
11.2 K Views
 A
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Jason wrote:
Tyros 5, which appears most closely related to Genos (time will tell) this gen had some features not in Montage that I'd prefer were in there. Super Articulation is the main category. However, on balance, there were lots of things an arranger has that does not fit my needs "like a glove" - so I did not invest in Tyros.

Super Articulation 2 or SA2 in Tyros is not user-friendly, and it's unlikely that Yamaha will ever let us create our own SA2 voices (not practical from my point of view). Tyros 5 still has the same Super Articulation (1) in PSR series when it comes to user-created voices. In this aspect, MOTIF/MONTAGE outperforms any of the Yamaha Keyboards and that's what matters to me. To "sound".

I prefer to see the enhanced version of MOTIF's eXpanded Articulation in Tyros in addition to SA2 voices.

About the right side of the keyboard being empty, I believe its intentional. The existence of a USB port there implies that you should be able to use that area for putting your laptop/iPad and even charge them through the USB port. That's neat!

Posted : 21/09/2017 7:18 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The SA2 feature I was focusing on at one point was I believe what was leveraged to create Tyros's pedal steel guitar - which is slightly more usable/flexible than what you can do without SA2.

Not having Tyros - I haven't "shaken out" all the things and ways it works that would be beneficial in my live performance. But this is one of those things I did audition in the music store and liked how Tyros worked.

I'm assuming this kind of thing (the Pedal Steel example) is related to SA2 - although I do stand to be corrected not having very deep knowledge of how Tyros works internally.

Posted : 21/09/2017 8:15 pm
david
Reputable Member

Unofficially:

Genos Yamaha Product Name: Digital Keyboard (Yamaha Genos)
Dimensions (W x D x H): 1234 mm (48.6") x 456 mm (18") x 138 mm (5.4")
Weight: 13.0 kg (29lbs)
Keyboard: 76 Tasten (FSX) Initial Touch/Aftertouch
Controllers: Joystick, 6 Knobs, 9 Crossfader, Art.1, Art.2, Art.3
Display: TFT Colour Wide VGA LCD (800 x 400 dots / 9 inch) Touch Screen
Sub Display: OLED (Live Control View / 589 x 48 dots)
Tone Generation: AWM Stereo Sampling, AEM Technology
Polpyhonie: 256 (max.)
Number of Voices (Presets): 1.652 Voices + 58 Drum/SFX Kits
Featured Voices: 10 Revo Drums/SFX, 76 Ensemble, 390 Super Articulation, 75 Super Articulation2, 82 MegaVoices, 40Sweet, 81 Cool, 160 Live, 24 Organ Flutes.
Number of Styles: 550 (491 Pro, 39 Session, 10 Free Play, 10 DJ)
Expansion Voice: Yes (max. 1.8 GByte Onboard)
Storage: Internal Memory (58 GByte) / External USB Flash Drive
Microphone: Yes (Combo Jack) +48 Phantom Power
New Acoustic Drums (with Wavecycling) - Rock Drums, Pop Drums, Vintage Open, Vintage Muted, Jazz Sticks, Jazz Brushes, Vocal Beatbox.
New Percussion Kits (with Wavecycling) - Pop Percussion Kit, Brazilian Kit, Afro Cuban Kit, Compatible Kit.
New Electric Drums - EDM Kit, Trap Kit, Electro Kit, Schlager Kit, 80`s Drummachines Kit`s (Pop & RnB)
New Stingray Bass - Megavoice
New Acoustic Guitars - Fingered Steel String (Gibson) Megavoice, Fingered Steel String (Gibson) Thumb Strummed Megavoice, Picked Steelstring (Martin D45) Megavoice
New Stratocaster Guitar - New Stratocaster Megavoice
New Country Guitars - Ukulele Megavoice, New Mandolin Tremolo & Megavoice; Dobro Bottleneck, New Pedal Steel.
New Pianos - CFX Concert Grand, C7 Concert Grand, CP-80, Ambient Noises (EPยดs)
New Accordeons (with Bass Register) - Super Musette, Jazz Cassoto, Bajan, Scottish Accordeon, Steirische Harmonika
New Baltic Strings (with Ambience & Keyoff) - Violins, Violas, Cellos, Basses. (Mega Voe Variations) SmallSection, LargeSection, ShortSpiccato, LongSpiccato, Ambience, Extended Bassrange
New Synth Voices (Leads, Pads, Bass, 80`s) - 80`s Synths, 80`s Pads, 80's Synth Basses
New Synth Voices (Leads, Pads, Bass, 80`s)
New DSPยดs (max. 12 DSP`s) New Real Reverb, New Amp Types (Tweed Guy (Fender Bassman), Boutique DC (Custom Vox AC30 Type), Y - Amp (Yamaha V-Amp), Distomp (Yamaha Stomp Pedal FX)
- 80s Small Box (Fuzz Pedal Simulator)), New Compressor Types, New Leslie FX, Damper Resonance SFX
Genos Yamaha New Acoustic Drums (with Wavecycling) - Rock Drums, Pop Drums, Vintage Open, Vintage Muted, Jazz Sticks, Jazz Brushes, Vocal Beatbox.
New Percussion Kits (with Wavecycling) - Pop Percussion Kit, Brazilian Kit, Afro Cuban Kit, Compatible Kit.
New Electric Drums - EDM Kit, Trap Kit, Electro Kit, Schlager Kit, 80`s Drummachines Kit`s (Pop & RnB)
New Stingray Bass - Megavoice
New Acoustic Guitars - Fingered Steel String (Gibson) Megavoice, Fingered Steel String (Gibson) Thumb Strummed Megavoice, Picked Steelstring (Martin D45) Megavoice
New Stratocaster Guitar - New Stratocaster Megavoice
New Country Guitars - Ukulele Megavoice, New Mandolin Tremolo & Megavoice; Dobro Bottleneck, New Pedal Steel.
New Pianos - CFX Concert Grand, C7 Concert Grand, CP-80, Ambient Noises (EPยดs)
New Accordeons (with Bass Register) - Super Musette, Jazz Cassoto, Bajan, Scottish Accordeon, Steirische Harmonika
New Baltic Strings (with Ambience & Keyoff) - Violins, Violas, Cellos, Basses. (Mega Voe Variations) SmallSection, LargeSection, ShortSpiccato, LongSpiccato, Ambience, Extended Bassrange
New Synth Voices (Leads, Pads, Bass, 80`s) - 80`s Synths, 80`s Pads, 80?s Synth Basses
New Synth Voices (Leads, Pads, Bass, 80`s)
New DSPยดs (max. 12 DSP`s) New Real Reverb, New Amp Types (Tweed Guy (Fender Bassman), Boutique DC (Custom Vox AC30 Type), Y - Amp (Yamaha V-Amp), Distomp (Yamaha Stomp Pedal FX)
- 80s Small Box (Fuzz Pedal Simulator)), New Compressor Types, New Leslie FX, Damper Resonance SFX

Posted : 21/09/2017 9:02 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

List is interesting with all the trademark names.

Anyhow - next teaser is live. Shows even less of the instrument in terms of number of cut scenes. This time we see the right side of the control surface and a USB error - I mean status message.

Posted : 22/09/2017 3:19 am
david
Reputable Member

Yes, I saw more seagulls and sea foam than the Genos. That sucks. Waited for nothing. Nice plug for the orchestra.

Posted : 22/09/2017 3:47 am
david
Reputable Member

Here are the latest shots.

Attached files

Posted : 22/09/2017 5:02 am
david
Reputable Member

Another blur. Any speculation as to what the 6 rectangular lit bars are to the right of the data wheel?

Attached files

Posted : 22/09/2017 5:08 am
david
Reputable Member

Blur 2.

Attached files

Posted : 22/09/2017 5:12 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

david wrote:

Another blur. Any speculation as to what the 6 rectangular lit bars are to the right of the data wheel?

If you watch the video yourself and pause - not all buttons are blurry.

1st row - left button looks like "Home" right button looks like ... not sure - low confidence
2nd row - left button is "Style" right button is "Voice"
3rd row - left button looks like "Song" right button looks like "Playlist" - not as confident

Posted : 22/09/2017 6:09 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Just launch the darn thing! Tyros 5 + Montage, single mode, 76 keys = Perfect.

Posted : 22/09/2017 8:57 am
david
Reputable Member

I agree that the slow, lame weekly tid-bit release showing next to nothing is Super Annoying. If Yamaha is going to release teasers and publish dates, then they need to be substantial. The advertisement is for the Orchestra as they are getting all of the advertising benefits from the Genos "so called" teasers. That's written in their contract. Actually, it looks like the Genos is not even in the same studio or location as the Orchestra. I assume they recorded voices for Genos using this group.

Posted : 22/09/2017 12:11 pm
david
Reputable Member

Just wondering:

Digital outs?
More individual outs?
True Analog Circuit Out?
Remote touch screen direct out or something like Montage?
XLR Outs?
WIFI?
USB V3.0?
True 256 Poly or just stereo poly like Montage?
Backwards compatible with all my T5 expansions packs that I paid a fortune for? Or perhaps they will convert these at some point for us.
Are all features from T5 carried forward on the Genos?
I think we're stuck with 1.8 GB of flash which I had filled to the limit on the T5. That should have been doubled without a hesitation. Very limited if correct. Larger Genos samples will eat that up even quicker than on the T5 which brings me to my next question....
Load time/speed? Might depend on your bandwidth at the house.
Price is $4,500 list? Street $4,100? Hopefully less and more competitive with the competition.
Is that top casing aluminum or plastic? The HD views look almost too precise to be plastic. Looks more like the Montage to me.
What else?

Posted : 22/09/2017 1:41 pm
 Paul

Jason wrote:

david wrote:

If you watch the video yourself and pause - not all buttons are blurry.

1st row - left button looks like "Home" right button looks like ... not sure - low confidence
2nd row - left button is "Style" right button is "Voice"
3rd row - left button looks like "Song" right button looks like "Playlist" - not as confident

Folks on the PSR Tutorial Forum arrived at: HOME, MENU, STYLE, VOICE, SONG, and PLAYLIST.

The buttons are just above the six assignable buttons A to F.

My best guess is that these buttons allow quick access into the menu system. The CVP series UI supports similar functionality. This may be the way in for people having visual impairment. Like everything else Genos, we will find out after the official release.

All the best -- pj

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

Posted : 22/09/2017 5:32 pm
 Imro

Maybe we're looking at it wrongly there is something about both these video's that says what it's about from the Genos.
I love the Orchestra string from the Montage and am happy it in there cause orchestra sample library's are expensive ,
on cost and drive space I'm just an amateur musician having something that pristine inside a keyboard now is bliss.

Just like the trend has been set to release compact keyboards, synths that fill in the spaces for new kind of musician whom
want to travel light but stil with the best sounds and gear knowing it will continue to work.

There also those who want the same thing from their studio else where without compromising their stuff and have it in a
keyboard, I think both of these video's are saying that, The highest quality sounds in the studio and on stage.

I'm just saying. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted : 22/09/2017 5:33 pm
Simon

As far as marketing is concerned then before the leaks I could just (and only just) come on board with yamaha strategy here (not the best this time) but unfortunately due to human nature and the craving for information in the way of leeks we have seen then it is like... shutting the stable door after the horse is out and the teasers have lost there desired effect for me now...so patience is a virtue and all in the goodness of time .

Posted : 22/09/2017 6:09 pm
Page 3 / 4
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us