Notifications
Clear all

Yamaha Montage - Panning at Part Level

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I was trying to Scuba dive with Super Knob but I wasn’t able to get through a scenario. Let say I have a simple 2 Part Performance. At the Performance level, I’m able to Pan the whole performance left or right.

However if I want to pan only Part 1, I’m able to do this only with the data wheel from common part parameters. I actually want to assign the Assignable Knob 1 for Part 1 - Panning and then eventually to the Super Knob. I also noticed that the Control Assign button did not light when I highlighted the the pan parameter box.

There is an element pan in the option, unfortunately that forces me to choose a Curve Type. None of the curve types fits my need. I’m not expecting the functionality to work this way.

I’m assuming Part Level Pan cannot be done?

Posted : 23/10/2019 7:46 am
Bad Mister

I’m assuming Part Level Pan cannot be done?

You would then be assuming incorrectly. Thanks for the question. Here is how it works.

Let’s start with an AWM2 PART.
Since each of the eight possible Elements within a sampled base Part is a complete ‘synth’, with its own source Waveform, its own Filter, its own Amplitude Generator, its own Volume, its own LFO, etc.etc.; quite naturally it can be panned individually, as well!

From the HOME screen
Select the PART
Press [PART SELECT 1]
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Part Settings” > “General”

Here you will see the Part “Pan” parameter.
If it were directly assignable highlighting that parameter would cause the [CONTROL ASSIGN] button to glow — but it does not.
Here you might assume that this is not an assignable parameter... let’s go deeper.

On this same screen you’ll see a parameter “Element Pan”

Make sure “Element Pan” = On (green)
This is necessary to allow individual Element placement.

With Element Pan active, leeks Assign an available Part Assign Knob.
Touch “Mod/Control” > “Control Assign”
Activate the “Auto Select” box (green)
This will allow you to turn an Assign Knob and see what’s programmed.

Make sure the [ASSIGN] button is lit - making the Knobs, Assign Knobs
Find an available Assign Knob... you can do so by turning each in turn to see what is assigned.
Tap the “+” to add a “Destination”
A default parameter will appear, tap that parameter to open the option menu

Select “Element” > “Elem Pan”
Close the menu

Here you can see the Control Set... and there is an Element Switch for each of the possible 8 Eldments
By default they are all green, meaning the Element will opt in on panning. If you want to Pan the entire Part, that is what you want... verify that the Elements are On (green).

Set the “Curve Type” = Standard
Set the “Polarity” = Bi (you want to be able to move both left and right from center)
Set the “Ratio” to determine which direction it moves initially. +0 is no movement
Set the “Param1” to shape the movement.

Now as you turn the Assign Knob you will be panning the Elements.

Alternate Method:
You could navigate to the Element Pan parameter and assign it from there...
From the HOME screen
Press [EDIT]
Press [PART SELECT 1]
Along the bottom of the screen you can see the active Element in blue
You can tap “Elem1” or press the first button row three on the right front panel to select Element 1
Touch “Amplitude” > “Level/Pan” > highlight the “Pan” parameter

The [CONTROL ASSIGN] button glows (located just to the lower left of the screen).
Press [CONTROL ASSIGN]
You’ll see a screen that prompt you to move the Controller you wish to assign to this task.
Immediately you are taken to the Part’s “Mod/Control” > ”Control Assign” screen

Let’s Look at an FM-X PART
Press [EDIT]
Select the PART
Touch “Part Settings” > “General”
Highlight the “Pan” parameter

The [CONTROL ASSIGN] Knob is glowing meaning you can assign FM-X Part Pan to a controller
Press [CONTROL ASSIGN]
A screen appears prompting you to move the controller you wish to use
You are taken to the “Mod/Control” > “Control Assign” screen where you can setup the control...

Thanks for the question. As you can see you can get deeper with Pan.. In an AWM2 each Element is a complete synth engine and each can be setup to Pan or not, or you can setup groups... say you want to use Elements 1-4 to create a string section and Elements 5-8 to setup a brass section... you can place them in the stereo field or move the Element by setting up two groups... its up to you.

FM-X the Operators are used to build a sound, then you can take that whole sound and Pan it - it works as you originally expected because like most products - there is only one complete synth routing through the FM-X engine... where the AWM2 can be 8 independent synth routings.

Posted : 23/10/2019 10:11 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you very much. I tried everything what you have explained in the first method. I may be assigning the incorrect ratio to start the default setting.

I will try it tonight and keep you posted.

Posted : 23/10/2019 11:47 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Now I know why it did not work for me the first time when I tried. My input switches were set to TONE by default and I was simply changing the Cut-Off. It was little surprising when I moved the Super Knob it worked but not with Assign 1 knob. Then I pressed the Assign button and then BOOM!

Posted : 27/10/2019 9:52 pm
Bad Mister

The eight Knobs are Assign Knobs only when the [ASSIGN] button is lit.
The Super Knob, being Super, works at all times, no button needs to be hit, no light has to be On. It will always do what is programmed to the Super Knob.

Posted : 27/10/2019 10:01 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us