Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

BadMister still out there? Need help with loading Samples to Drum Kit

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Dear Phil, hoping this finds you well! I've read so many of your articles, watched so many of your videos, and heard you playing so many times I almost feel like I actually know you!

Anyway, need help with my Motif XF (if anyone still uses those in these Montage, CP, YC days)...

Following your article about loading audio samples to drum kit keys, I've managed to associate an intro to a song (Comfortably Numb) to a key using a regular User Voice, as part of a 4-part Performance.

Then thinking I could fly, I tried the same to load two audio samples (the marimba riff and the flute solo to Africa) into two different keys (C-1 and D-1) of a User Drum Kit... While working on the DRAM, it did work. I then saved the samples to my Flash Memory, turned the whole setup off and went to bed. What a short fly that was.

The following day, I added the Drum Kit as the Voice #1 in a Song, because I use such Song as a multi-timbral controller for my two keyboard setup (the other keyboard is a controller transmitting only on channel 2), but when I press C-1 and D-1, nothing... Funny enough, when I audition the FL board using the Utility button, the audio samples are there. But when I edit the "elements" for C-1 and D-1 to "point" to those waveforms in the FL (respectively 0006 and 0007, not that it probably matters), nothing sounds...

Any hints to what am I doing wrong???

Posted : 07/09/2021 8:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Is the element switch turned ON for the drum key you assigned the samples to (C-1, D-1)?

What about output select? Is it L&R?

Is "receive note off" set to off? (shouldn't make it not sound - but likely the setting you want = off)

Is the [F4] Amplitude envelope reasonable? The level needs to be at a high enough level for a sufficient amount of time for the entire sample to output. For a longer sample - you'd want to set Decay2 = HOLD. That's the time component. Level needs to be set properly as well.

Posted : 07/09/2021 9:21 pm
Bad Mister

Then thinking I could fly, I tried the same to load two audio samples (the marimba riff and the flute solo to Africa) into two different keys (C-1 and D-1) of a User Drum Kit...

Drum Kits (both Preset and User) can only hold Audio samples on Keys C0 thru C6.
So by placing them at C-1 and D-1 that might work in a Normal Voice, but not a Drum Kit Voice.

Drum Kits are unique, instead of all the samples making one instrument, a Drum Kit is, really mostly, a different instrument on each Key.
Remember a Drum Kit, originally called a “Trap Set”… short for “contraption” is a 20th century invention, when some jazz drummer somewhere welded a pair of TomToms onto a bass drum a hung a cymbal from a pole and fashioned some kind of mallet that would kick the bass drum and placed a snare on a stand, other musicians would look at it and call it “some kind of contraption”.

But think about a marching band, some people just play bass drum, others just play snare, a few only have crash cymbals, etc. every Key in a Motif XF drum kit is a different instrument (except the Hihat which spread across three keys for three different articulations, and the triangle across two keys for full and mute, etc). Each has its own volume, it’s own Pan position, it’s own routing to the effects, etc., etc.

A maximum of 73 Notes in a Motif XF Drum Kit Voice. C0 thru C6

Posted : 07/09/2021 9:41 pm
Topic starter

Ha! I knew Bad Mister would come back to save me!!!!!

C0 through C6! Got it - the missing piece of the puzzle!!!!!

Man, these forums are GOLDEN!

Thank you so much, also thanks to Jason for the help and tips.

You guys rock!

Posted : 08/09/2021 1:02 pm
Trusted Member

Yes they are golden. I always search before asking and almost always find the detailed answer.
Including this topic. 🙂

Posted : 02/11/2021 4:14 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us