Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Building backing rhythm tracks for basic songs (intro, verse, chorus, verse, etc.)

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Actually Motif ES8 - I am using this extra time at home to finally try some compositions on this long owned instrument. I am struggling with creating the basic rhythm tracks for a typical song (e.g. verse chorus verse bridge etc). I want to build these parts and then string them together in pattern of a song - but can't figure it out from the manuals. I have been able to create the different rhythm patterns in different user patterns for verse and chorus - but can't figure out how to link them together like blocks in a song. Please help

Posted : 17/05/2020 5:01 pm
Bad Mister

The PATTERN CHAIN is an intermediate step between PATTERN mode (where you work out your musical ideas) and SONG mode (where you finalize and fully automate your composition).

PATTERN > PATTERN CHAIN > SONG

The “Pattern Chain” allows you to create a ‘playback order’ for your musical SECTIONS by laying them out in a linear timeline… a linear structure is a requirement for automation to work properly… Once you have a play order you can do things like create a MUTE/UNMUTE automation situation and you can create a TEMPO Change Map etc.

Next step is to playback, edit and finalize this ‘play order’ portion of the automation… then CONVERT it to a linear SONG.

This is handled in [PATTERN] mode as follows:
Recall your Pattern... on the main Pattern screen
Press [F6] CHAIN
You can create this “play order” in real time, by pressing the Record button and using the buttons to change Sections.
Find the button labeled [SECTION] when lit the 16 Track buttons become Section Select buttons A thru H, and above them thru [P]
The only thing you are recording here is *when* a Section is to begin.

Simply set the first Section, press Rec, press Play.
Then at any time in the measure just before you want the Section to change, press the appropriate button.

Say you start with [SECTION A] Make sure “A” is showing
Press Rec.. Then press Play to begin
if you want [SECTION B] to start at the top of measure 9, press at any time in measure 8.
Section changes take place at the top of the next measure. Continue until you have entered all Section Changes.
Press [STOP]

If you would rather assemble the Sections offline

You can enter the data manually on the Pattern Change event list. To view, or review, your Chain. Here’s how:
From Pattern mode, press [F6] CHAIN
Press [EDIT]
Here you can set at which measure each Section is going to begin playback.
There is a column for Measure, one for Time Signature, one for the Section command (either a Letter or the word “End” )

Use the Fast Forward button [>>] to advance the current Measure.
Use the Rewind button [<<] to retreat.

The Measure column goes from 001 thru to 999 (what happens after 999 I don’t know, I never got that far — and if you are kind to your audience neither will you :-).

When you have completed your playback order... You can place the word “END” in the Section column to automate Stopping.

Next, you can press Return to Top [|<] Play it and verify it plays as expected... then to convert it to a linear SONG...
While in Pattern Chain Edit
Press [F3] SONG - this converts the Pattern Chain to a linear SONG which is a standard MIDI structure with measures, time signature, tempo, etc.

By converting your PATTERN CHAIN to SONG - you target an empty SONG location 01-64 and the ES will write out your data in the EVENT LIST and will include your MUTE/UNMUTE commands and other automation events. You can continue to automate things here in SONG mode - add linear solos, or parts that need to hang over from one section of music into another - etc.

That should get you started...

Posted : 17/05/2020 7:10 pm
Topic starter

Thanks so much - Helps tremendously. The key was building sections in the same pattern vs. building separate patterns and then Patch/copying them in where it is very easy to override phrases and start chasing your own tail 🙁 I have just finished building my first backing rhythm section for "stuck in the middle with you" (inspired by the times).

Posted : 18/05/2020 12:48 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us