Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can Parts of a Multi be Enabled/Disabled via Control Type ARPs?

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I would like to be able to setup a Multi Preset that has four voices, then somehow use ARPs to enable/disable various voices.

For example, let’s say that I have a multi with four voices:
1. Piano (no ARP)
2. Bass (ARP)
3. Guitar (ARP)
4. Drums (ARP)

ARP 1 is my intro, and it only uses the piano voice. I would simply set the ARP Type for the other voices to either Mute 4/4 or Off (not sure how they’re different—feel free to share if you know).

ARP 2 adds a nice riff on the Guitar voice, but I don’t want drums to come in yet, so I set its ARP Type to Mute 4/4 or Off.

ARP 3 brings in the drums, but now the guitar riff ARP should stop playing, so I set its ARP Type to Mute 4/4 or Off.

My problem is that I don’t know which ARP Type to use so I can manually play one of the ARP’ed voices. If I set the type to ‘sort’ or ‘thru’, Mute 4/4 and Off do just that. I guess I was hoping that ‘sort+direct’ would honor Mute 4/4 or Off and not let the direct part leak through.

Another possibility is that there is a Control Type ARP that has a very minor impact on the sound (say a gentle pan effect). Then I would switch back to ‘thru’ and sound would be heard when using the Control Type ARP, but not when set to Mute 4/4 or Off. Again, if someone has any insights on what a specific Control type ARP does, please let me know!

My apologies if this is confusing. I’m really hoping that someone has figured out a way to enable/disable voices within the context of a Multi utilizing ARPs 1 - 5.

Posted : 18/08/2016 7:26 pm

Hi Tony! You and seems to be struggling with same issues, I guess you use your instrument as a "one-man-band" setup using multis for different songs and use the 1-5 arps for song structure, intro, verse, refrain, fills and ending. Am I right?

I would like to share Ideas of EXACTLY this, I also want to contribute and build a bank somewhere with brand new multis (X1E-files) but much more simplified and pure to suit live performance. Preferbly arranged in music style or even better, settings for famous songs- or both? Asked Motifator forum board admin if they chould add a MULTI folder to support us Motif XS owners, but no answer yet...I guess its the XF generation and later now thats in focus...

Sad, this would give the instrument SO more value for your spended bucks! If I work for 1,5 hours to make a new multi, I would gladly share that file too, knowing I could download tons of other users multis.

I use a Motif Rack XS with a AXON Midi guitar converter, and play my Godin Multiac guitar pretty the same way as a keyboard, midi chn 1, but a more narrow range and different split points due to limited octaves on guitar.I use a Yamaha FC10 foot pedal to change between multis and arps.

Right now Im exploring the ctrl arps to mute/activate parts like you do. 0 answer on your question its not OK. So Im submitting this to you instead. I worked and explored 1 year with the editor now, my knowledge is limited, but Im quite curious and innovative. Created A multi for Seals "Crazy" yesterday and got the pulsing synth sound by mixing a sound with a arp from another instrument family...

Intrested to start some collaboration?

Posted : 29/08/2016 10:25 pm
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for jumping in, Tommy. I appreciate your enthusiasm!

I too envisioned a place where XS Rack owners could go to search for Multi's by song title, genre, instrument category, or even tempo, then download them.

I've lost count how many hours I've invested making them, then later revisiting them and making even more tweaks. It seems that the more I learn, the more I end up going back and correcting my previously created multis.

I will tell you that the vast majority of the ones I've created are for church worship. In fact, the only secular song I've ever done was The Beatles' Birthday Song!

I'm also planning on getting some good video gear and hosting a weekly Facebook Live segment to share my work to encourage and inspire other church musicians.

Beyond that, I also own an XS8 and will begin the journey of creating Patterns which exponentially increase the possibilities, but I'm just at the beginning on this venture.

BTW, I am also a guitar synth junkie, except that I use the Roland GR-55 instead of the AXON. I do own a Godin Multiac as well, but tend to favor my custom ESP Xtone when playing live.

I say we definitely stay in touch!

Tony

Posted : 02/09/2016 8:55 pm
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Just in case you're interested, I will be hosting a brief Public Facebook Live session every Sunday afternoon from 2:00 - 2:15 Pacific / 5:00 - 5:15 Eastern.

You should be able to find it by searching for "Worship Elements with Tony Gardner".

Cheers,
Tony G.

Posted : 06/09/2016 4:34 pm
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Just wanted to quickly share that my efforts programming the Multi's for church finally "paid off". After two months of doing the Worship Elements Facebook Live events, my church invited me to bring in my gear and lead an entire service!

Curiously, that week the drummer didn't show up, so the Multi drum parts which were supposed to be used as a click track ended up being pumped through the P.A. along with all the other parts!

Lastly, I used the ability to assign parts to Assignable Outputs L/R so the sound man could tweak everything from the back. At least for me, this was a First Time Ever event, and more importantly everyone at the service said that they enjoyed it very much!

P.S.
My company asked me to provide music for the Holiday Party at the Doubletree on Dec. 10th, so I'll be queueing up another dozen or so Christmas Song multis for the event.

Posted : 29/11/2016 6:25 am
Bad Mister

Congrats! Excellent!

Posted : 30/11/2016 4:49 pm
Tony
 Tony
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Ladies and Gentlemen... This CAN be done!!!

I would like to be able to setup a Multi Preset that has four voices, then somehow use ARPs to enable/disable various voices.

For example, let’s say that I have a multi with four voices:
1. Piano (no ARP)
2. Bass (ARP)
3. Guitar (ARP)
4. Drums (ARP)

ARP 1 is my intro, and it only uses the piano voice. I would simply set the ARP Type for the other voices to either Mute 4/4 or Off (not sure how they’re different—feel free to share if you know).

ARP 2 adds a nice riff on the Guitar voice, but I don’t want drums to come in yet, so I set its ARP Type to Mute 4/4 or Off.

ARP 3 brings in the drums, but now the guitar riff ARP should stop playing, so I set its ARP Type to Mute 4/4 or Off.

My problem is that I don’t know which ARP Type to use so I can manually play one of the ARP’ed voices. If I set the type to ‘sort’ or ‘thru’, Mute 4/4 and Off do just that. I guess I was hoping that ‘sort+direct’ would honor Mute 4/4 or Off and not let the direct part leak through.

Another possibility is that there is a Control Type ARP that has a very minor impact on the sound (say a gentle pan effect). Then I would switch back to ‘thru’ and sound would be heard when using the Control Type ARP, but not when set to Mute 4/4 or Off. Again, if someone has any insights on what a specific Control type ARP does, please let me know!

My apologies if this is confusing. I’m really hoping that someone has figured out a way to enable/disable voices within the context of a Multi utilizing ARPs 1 - 5.

Here's how:

1. Add the desired voice to a Part.
2. Enable the ARP for the Part.
3. On the ARP Number where you want the voice to play, assign any simple ARP. I recommend that you choose one which could conceivably go with your Multi if it were to kick in.
4. On the ARP Numbers where you don't want the voice to play, choose ARP #000 (OFF).
5. Set the From and To Velocity for the ARP to 127.

That's it!

So, as it turns out, the voice will play as if it were set to Direct as long as you play using a velocity range of 0-126.

If you play aggressively and tend to frequently smack the keys at 127, I recommend that you set the ARP's Loop to Off.

I seriously hope this helps somebody out there! It is so far one of few decent contributions I've made to the forum thus far. 😀

All The Best,
Tony G.

Posted : 08/12/2016 9:03 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us